- Text Size +
Shelly: Meet me on my bus after the show? I think it's time we talked.



Nick hesitated in giving her an RSVP for the mere reason he didn't know if she was gonna really talk to him or rip him a new one. It would stand to reason that she would do the latter considering what he'd done to her. Then again, the whole AJ fiasco was still bothering him and it had been nearly a week since they'd said a word to each other. At least tonight she said Hi when she passed him backstage after her set. He hated that he was stupid enough to get drunk and lose control of his impulses. What he hated even more was the fact that he'd hurt her. That was the last thing he ever wanted to do to her but it was getting more and more physically impossible to deal with things the way they were. Not that he couldn't but you can only take so many cold showers and your hand isn't exactly the ideal partner in the bedroom. He knew he was being a complete ass when it came to sex but he was a man after all. He had to answer her sometime. He flipped his phone open and started typing.


Nick: I'll B there.


She shouldn't be nervous. After all, they were both adults. They could get through this. Theresa was right. It wasn't Dave that was holding her back, it was her own heart that was holding her back. When she loved, she gave everything she had and she knew that Nick had 'loved' a few more times than she had. He had more experience with relationships than she even knew what to do with. David was the first serious relationship she'd had in her entire lifetime and she wasn't sure how to handle something like this. David hadn't cheated on her, he just wasn't in love like she was. She didn't know how to handle a...what would you call it? Almost cheat? They had both done it but to what degree on each part? She knew he was as miserable as she was because she had talked to AJ. That's kind of what helped make her decision to talk to him. She nervously paced the hall of the bus. Nervous wasn't the word for her state of mind. She was scared shitless. She looked at the clock on the microwave as she passed it for the fifty ninth time. She'd allowed time for him to change and time for his fans before he would arrive. And here he was. She felt the bus move as he lumbered up the steps. Her heart leapt into her throat. What was she going to do? What was she going to say? Crap! There he was looking all torn up as their eyes met for the first time in a week. She'd said Hi to him earlier but she didn't make eye contact. Her heart was breaking but not for the reasons it had before. He looked genuinely ripped to shreds because of all that had happened between them."Nick, I-"
"I am so sorry Shelly. I was lonely and I know that's no excuse but I don't ever want to hurt you like that ever again." He cut her off. His heart was beating faster than the speed of light as he waited for her response.
"I am too."
Taking the chance that she wouldn't refute his mere touch, he took her hand and cocked his brow curiously."For what?"
"For using AJ against you. I was acting like a little girl."
"It's okay but I think I owe you the bigger apology here. I almost went through with it, you didn't."
She let go of his hand and sat down on the bed. She patted the space next to her and he joined her. Taking his hand again, she started with," We both screwed up Nick. We just need to start with a clean slate here. Can we do that?"
"Yeah."
"I also need to know something else."
"What?"
"You remember what you said to me that night when you left my room?"
"Of course I do."
"Did you really mean that?"
"Why wouldn't I ?"
She looked down at the metal floor; ashamed for even thinking that he didn't care about her. He was here after all, right?
Nick tilted her chin back up and looked her in the eye." I know this has all been a whirlwind Shel but I meant it when I said that I love you. You've hit me like a ton of bricks and I don't know if I'm coming or going most days. I honestly don't know what I'd do without you."
She wanted to believe him. She really did. Remember what Theresa said. Let it go. You know what your heart feels."That is the sweetest thing any man has ever said to me. You know that?"
"I know what it feels like when somebody doesn't love you like you love them. I know how you feel about me and when you're ready, you'll tell me but I'm not gonna worry about it. We've got all the time in the world."
"I know." She attempted to hold her tears back. Nick's thumb brushed beneath her eye; the moisture smeared across her cheek.
"Then let's just take this one step at a time. If they find out, they find out. They don't need us to announce it to the world."
"Sounds good to me."
"So do I need to leave?"
"Do you want to?"
"No."
"You're not expecting anything to happen are you?"
"Are you?"
"No."
"Then stay. I miss waking up next to you."
"I miss you waking up next to me."
"Can I tell you something else?"
"Sure."
Her hand left his and hers both surfaced on his cheeks; her lips softly brushing his."Thank you."