- Text Size +
They'd been off the road a week now and only because she was looking for a place in LA was she staying with Nick. Theresa took care of things at home in Arizona for her before she showed up in LA to see her boyfriend. It was official. She and AJ were inseperable. It was kind of cute actually. AJ fawned all over her. These kinds of things only happened to other girls right? Apparently not. Shelly had dreamed of having a man treat her like a princess for as long as she could remember. Nick was turning out to be that guy more and more everyday. Marriage had never been a subject they discussed but it was there. Not that they didn't want to discuss it. She just assumed that it was an unspoken understanding between them that it was too soon. She could still dream though. Every girl dreamed about their wedding. Every girl but her. She thought she was too old to have such foolish fantasies of being given away by her Father as her Mother cried tears of joy that her only daughter was finally settling down and having a family. They would never get that family part when she and Nick eventually made the decision to make it permanent. She also thought Nick would never give in to the institution knowing his family history. He was afraid that it would happen to him. That much they had talked about. Besides, they hadn't even been together five months but who's to say how quickly your heart gives into that emotion? Nobody. We all have the right to dream. And dreaming she was. She surfed through site after site of gorgeous wedding gowns, bridesmaids and even flower girl dresses. She'd found her dream gown but she was so wrapped up in the computer that she didn't even hear Nick come in the house until she heard his voice from behind her." Whatcha up to babygirl?"
"Nothing." She snapped her pink laptop closed.
"You sure about that?" He grinned as she turned and looked up at him.
"Positive." And kissed him.
"You're distracting me again angel."
"I hope so,"Shelly teased; pulling him back onto the bed with her.
"Nice try." He moved off her and opened it. He had to contain himself because he knew he was about to take the hugest leap he'd ever taken in his life that night." I think you'd look absolutely stunning in that gown sexy."
He could still make her blush.She could feel her cheeks warming up but she was embarrassed more than anything. She couldn't exactly run away from him but she could lock herself in the bathroom. Now that would just be plain childish Shel she scolded herself." You know what that does to me babygirl but why are you blushing? I think maybe we should start talking about it."
Was she hearing things or did she just hear Nick say something about marriage."I thought it was too soon Nick."
"I've never hid my feelings for you Shel and I know they're not going away anytime soon so is it so hard to believe that I would want to talk about spending the rest of our lives together."
"I guess not it's just that you went from guy time to making wedding plans. That's what threw me."
"I have great role models in my life now angel. Why wouldn't I want to spend forever with you despite the fact that you nearly ended my family making career."He chuckled.
She smiled."So you think I'd look good in that?"
"I think you look great in anything babe."
"You know how to make my day Carter but I do have to get ready for my appearance on Leno tonight."
"My baby on Leno. Wow!"
"I know. It's still weird to me."
"It won't be after long. Just be yourself. They already love the music. It's just their chance to get to love you as much as I do." Closing the electronic object.
She leaned over him on the bed and kissed him."You truly are my prince charming."
He blushed. How could she still do this to him he'd never understand.
"You know if I weren't such a wanted woman, I stay here and ravage you."
"We'll have plenty of time for that later babe." Praying to God there'd be cause for celebration later in the evening.


"Shel, you've done a hundred talk shows. Why are you nervous about this one?" Theresa said as the make up artist applied Shelly's foundation.
"It's late night. I've done plenty of daytime TV. And it's Leno! I'm friggin' doing Leno!"
"I know."
"Miss Taylor. Please calm down. You'll be fine. I heard him saying he couldn't wait to meet you," the young girl interrupted.
"See. You have another fan. You're gonna be fine girlie. Just go out there and do your thing."
"I'm still nervous. Only two guests tonight. I should be suspicious but it's his venue,"Shelly argued.
"Miss Taylor, you are absolutely gorgeous, you have great music and you have the hottest boyfriend around. Life is good,"the girl interrupted yet again.
"I like this girl,"Theresa said with a smile."We could be friends."
Shelly sighed. They were both right."You're right. Life is good." Shelly let out a breath and the young lady finished doing her job.
"Knock 'em dead chica."Theresa hugged her as they announced her name.
The interview ran rather smoothly and Jay was an absolutely genuine guy. No tricks. Well almost no tricks. They went to commercial and she saw Nick come out of nowhere. She should listen to her gut more often. Something was up.
"We have a surprise guest with us tonight. As we all know, Shelly is seeing the youngest member of the world famous Backstreet Boys. Would you please welcome Nick Carter to the show."
She obviously missed something. Nick and Jay greeted each other like old buddies. Shelly was about to move when they both told her to remain where she was. Sitting back down she watched as Nick took a seat next to her on the couch next to the chair she was sitting in. Shelly looked at him puzzled as to why he was there."So everything is going good these days I take it Nick."
"Wonderfully but I did show up for a reason tonight Jay."
"And that would be?"
"May I ?" He questioned Jay and he nodded.
He took Shelly's hand and looked her dead in the eye." We've been friends for quite a while now Shel and there's one thing I've learned about you. Even though you're always trying to pull off this modern woman thing, deep down you're a very traditional girl so in the name of all that is tradition." He got down on one knee on the floor in front of her and pulled the small blue velvet box from his pocket.
No way! She could feel her heart pushing through her chest. The guy must have a death wish.
"I'm asking you if you'll spend the rest of your life with me." Popping the box open; revealing the two toned gold, three quarter karat marquise cut diamand engagement ring.
This was not traditional in any sense of the word(other than the fact he got down on his knee). Millions of viewers were waiting for her response and so was he. She remembered the first time she'd met those big blue circles. She didn't know how wrong she'd been about that electricity flowing between them. Not even David had made her feel this way. Nick was the one. Her hand went over her mouth; her breath erratic. She thought maybe she could yank that yes word out there if she had her hand there. She could feel the moisture streaking down her cheek but her lips were curved upward. He was an absolute nutcase and she was madly in love with him."Yes." Her voice cracked.
"Yes?"
"Yes!" she blubbered."Put it on already."
"Obviously this was a surprise so we'll take a commercial break here and give our happy couple a minute to gather themselves."
She barely heard the music play them out before she said to Nick."You have a deathwish Carter."
"Maybe but I'd risk evrything for you."
"How'd you know? I mean, the ring. How'd you know?"
"You know how you were looking at dresses today?"
"Yeah."
"Well I caught you looking at that ring there a couple of weeks ago on the net."
"I see. So all that talk this afternoon at home?"
"I picked up your ring after I played some ball with my bro'."
"I love you so much." She said and softly kissed him.
"We're back in thirty seconds people,"one of the crew bellowed.
"I'm saving the good stuff for later,"She smiled and he groaned. She loved that she could do that to him with mere words.
He returned to his place on the couch and watched Shelly admire her ring. She was sparkling just as much as the dazzling gem on her finger.
"So congratulations are in order here I see. Is there a specific time you have in mind?"
"Spring,"they answered in unison.
Yep. They were a match made in heaven. Too bad Skylar was sure to make it a living hell. She wouldn't worry about that right now though. Her dreams had finally started becoming realities. She wasn't going to give that up for anybody.
Chapter End Notes:


If you'd like to get a general idea of the look of the ring, here's the link http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-5929.asp

I don't know how to set the link so you'll have to copy and paste. I'm so computer illiterate. LOL