- Text Size +
Theresa looked at the time on the clock as the telephone had woke her and AJ early that morning. He grumbled as she fumbled behind and finally turned over to reach the annoying object.”Hello?” She mumbled.
“Hey lady! I know it's early but I need to ask a huge favor.”
She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.”Does it involve killing Nick?”
Shelly laughed.”No. We made up but we actually need you and AJ to meet us in Vegas.”Hesitating.”Well today.”
“What's going on girlie?”
“Can you do it?”
“Who's on the phone?”AJ said; still in a sleep fog.
“It's Shelly.”
“Did Nick fuck up again?”His speech still sleep slurred.
“Theresa,”Shelly regained her attention from the other end.
“I'm sure we can get a flight.”
“You're the best,”she squealed with delight.” We'll get a room for you and see you when you get here.”
“Shel?”
“Yeah?”
“You're not doing what I think you're doing.”
“Just bring your nice dress.”
“Okay.”
“You're not pregnant are you?”
“No. Just give us a call when you get in and we'll go from there.”
“Don't you have a show tonight?”
“Yes I do but don't worry about that. Just get here okay?”
“We'll be there soon as we can lady.”
“Love you chica.”
“Love you too. See you soon.” Hanging up after Shelly. Theresa sat up on the bed and turned the light on.
AJ absently reached over to pull her back into bed. He wanted to go back to sleep but something told him that wasn't going to happen.”Come back to bed please.”
“Can't.”She'd opened her laptop and started searching for the next available flight out of LAX.
“Why not?”He pushed himself up and leaned against the headboard.
“Nick and Shelly are getting married.”
That woke him up!”And you know this how?”
“I know my friend and they're in Vegas. Want us to come and join them. That means only one thing in my book.”
“That means nothing. I know Nick.”
“And he put a ring on her finger. This from a man nobody ever thought would get married at all.”
“I hate it when you make sense.”
“You should be used to it by now.”
“I am. I just don't like it.”
“Who said you had to? Now get your scrawny ass out of bed there and get a shower. I'll throw some things together for us. Our flight leaves at nine.”


So six hours later, the plane landed and they arrived at the hotel. Shelly was beaming. Oh yeah. She knew her friend all too well. She wasn't going to say anything until they got settled up in the room because she wanted to hear them say what she already knew was true but AJ beat her to the punch.
“So Theresa seems to think you two are gonna tie the knot here in Vegas.” The smile on Nick's face was a dead giveaway. He couldn't believe it was true.” For real man?”
“Aren't your friends supposed to be happy for you?” Shelly's mood had deflated immediately. Like he didn't want to be the last man standing or something. Screw him. He wasn't going to ruin the happiest day of her life.
“Of course they are. Alex is just been a dolt because he didn't get to lounge in bed all day Saturday,”Theresa said with a smile on her face.
“Well maybe you could take a nap this afternoon while my girl and I go shopping for a dress.”
“You know I'm happy for you Shel. I just thought you wanted all the fanfare. The fairytale wedding and shit.” It was the best he could do for an apology. After all, he'd been a part of why they were together in the first place. He gave her a quick hug.”I'd take one but I gotta give Nicky boy one last hurrah before you tie him down.”
“Funny.”
He chuckled.”Seriously though. I am happy for you guys and if this is what you want, then we're there for you.”
“That means a lot to me AJ but you do need to get him out of here because according to tradition, he shouldn't even be in the same room with me right now.”
“You got it girl.”
“Grab your bag because you won't be seeing this room again until after the nuptials.”
“No problem.”He smiled as slung the bag over his shoulder.”I'm assuming Nick knows the plan?”AJ teased.
“Don't push it Alex,”Shelly smiled and the two men left her and her girl alone.
“Okay lady. What made you decide to get married here in Vegas and not wait until your schedules cleared.”
“I'm still going to do the horsedrawn carriage and what not like I wanted to but it's just a piece of paper. Whether we do it here, there or at city hall, all that matters is that he loves me and I love him.”
Shelly sat down on the bed and Theresa sat down next to her.”You know I'm not one to hide my feelings so I'm just going to come out and ask you this. Are you doing this because of Skylar?”
“Seriously?”
“Well she has kind of been a thorn in your side and from the sounds of what was going on when I called you last night, it did make me question your rationale on this one.”
“ I know it's very impulsive of me but I don't want to wait anymore. I just want him to spend the rest of my life with him and the sooner it starts, the better.”
“Well then, let's go find you that dress girlie.”



AJ dropped his bag on the floor and turned to face Nick.”What's really going on here Nick? Last night you two were fighting and now she wants to tie the knot. What gives?”
He shrugged.” I don't know. I always thought she was the sensible one between the two of us but she was the one that suggested it.”
“Is this what you want?”
“Are you trying to talk me out of it because you can save it. Shell called you two because for some insane reason she thought you'd be the most supportive.”
“What do you think this is? I'm trying to understand the reasons why she's giving up the big fancy wedding in lieu of a wedding chapel Vegas style?”
Nick slid his fingers through his hair; sitting down on the nearest chair.”I don't think I can. I would do anything for her Jay so if this is what she wants, I'm gonna do it. I mean seriously, I knew I was taking my life into my own hands when I proposed to her on national TV and she's still going to get her fairytale wedding, we're just going to sign the piece of paper today. I mean really, didn't everybody think I would be the last person in the world ever to say I do after the role model of a marriage my parents had?”
“Okay. I get it. This isn't just a whim.”
“So what are we gonna do until ten tonight?”
“Get a decent suit for you for starters then some food.”
“How 'bout food first since you dragged my ass out of bed for this. I'm starving.”
“You're my best man. Lead the way.”