- Text Size +
So close! So goddam close and the phone had to ring! He hesitated briefly before reaching over to grab the annoying sound."What?"
"Good morning to you too Nick,"Brian said.
"Something that couldn't wait another two hours?"
"Yeah. Shelly's manager, Brent hasn't been able to reach her and she's supposed to be downstairs in fifteen minutes. You wouldn't happen to know where she is?"
"Yeah I do. She's right here. We fell asleep watching TV."
"Are you out of your fucking mind Nick?!"
"What?!"
"Let's see. National Enquirer ring any bells?"
"Oh please."
"Don't oh please me man. You know what they can do. She has a boyfriend Nick."
"No she doesn't."
Didn't take a genius to figure out the conversation was about her. She slipped out of his arms to retrieve the noise requesting her answer. Flipping it open, she was greeted with,"Where the hell are you?"
"Good morning. I'm in Nick's room."
"Please tell me you didn't do what I think you did Shel."
"Jeez Brent! Everybody thinks I've screwed the guy." He wasn't unattractive but she didn't just jump into bed with the first available body either. Besides, she wasn't so vulnerable that he could have taken advantage of the situation.
"Did you? I mean your personal life is your own but Nick's been known to take advantage of these situations a time or two."
Unbelievable! She hung up and started searching for her shoes as she heard Nick still getting the third degree. From who she wasn't sure but this was not starting out well at all. Her cell phone rang again and she let it go to voice mail. After seeing the time, she knew what all the hub bub was about trying to locate her. She'd deal with Brent when she got downstairs. She looked over to Nick and pointed toward the door to let him know she was leaving.
He covered the mouthpiece."You gonna be okay?"
"I made it through last night right?" And smiled.
"Call me later okay?"
"I don't have your number."
"Nick!" The voice yelled through the earpiece.
He ignored it and motioned her to come back over to the bed. He took her cell phone from her and entered his number into her address book."Call me later."
"I will." She smiled and left him there for more ass chewing from who she could ascertain the voice was Brian on the other end.
"Have you got the goodbye kiss out of your system?!" Brian bellowed.
"I haven't even kissed her. I just put my number in her cell phone dweeb!"
"But you want to."
"Yes I do and I would have had you not called this morning."
"You'll thank me later for that."
"Does everybody think I'm so much of an ass that I would take advantage of a woman I just met?"
"That's how most men work and your reputation precedes you Nick."
"We've been friends how long Bri?"
"Seventeen years but what does that have to do with anything?"
"If you can't trust that after all this time I've actually grown up in that area then you haven't been paying attention."
"Fair enough buddy. It's just that she has a boyfriend."
"And I told she doesn't anymore. He broke up with her fifteen minutes before she went on through a text message."
"Now there's a wuss of a man."
"She just needed somebody to listen and take her mind off things for awhile. That's all I did. I swear it Brian."
"I trust you. I'm not against it but just be careful okay?"
"I know what I'm doing but thanks."


Brent looked over at Shelly on the way to the radio station and saw the sign he didn't want to see. She was hooked. Nick had her. He'd seen it before."So what did you and Nick 'talk' about last night?"
"Excuse me, did you say something?"
"I'm sorry Shelly but he does have a reputation."
"Reputations are built on rumors Brent. Nothing happened. I'd probably be a heck of a lot happier if I had slept with him but my boyfriend broke up with me fifteen minutes before the show last night over a text message and Nick offered to listen. Maybe he had those intentions. Maybe not but he didn't follow through on them if he did. I like him. I like all of them. Does that make me a slut because one of them offers a shoulder every now and again?"
"No but you're a celebrity now. You're under a microscope twenty four hours a day. Your life is not your own anymore and he should know that too."
"I'm sure he does but we are adults here."
"Yeah moreso than he."
"I'm well aware of our age difference and if having him as a friend is a crime, then sign me up because so far he's been the only honest human being on this little journey of mine."
"I just don't want to see you get hurt. All I'm doing is giving you fair warning."
"I'll keep that in mind Brent." Not that she would listen of course.