- Text Size +
Shelly checked herself in the mirror one last time before switching the light off and locating her heels. She was worried about being overdressed because it had been forever since she'd been to a nightclub. Once she stepped outside her room's door, the admiring gaze told her she'd made the right choice. The white leather mini skirt was still a little short for her liking but she had the figure to pull it off and it covered what it needed to cover. AJ's deep chocolate eyes did a once over before she said,"Too much?"
"You look great Shel. Pink really is your color." Referring to the sheer pink shawl blouse with a matching silk tank top underneath."And it matches that color in your cheeks."
"You guys are really great for a girl's ego."
"Well we do try,"Nick commented as he appeared in the hallway."You look beautiful tonight Shelly."
"Well, I do try." Maybe he would finally admit to what was going on between them now. Nothing else seemed to be working.
"Shall we?"AJ interrupted; noting the stolen moment between the 'couple'. He knew what was going on and he had every intention of pushing every last button to get Nick's admission.
"I'm ready,"Shelly said and started heading toward the elevator. AJ was close behind as he fell into step with her before they arrived. The ride downstairs was deathly silent but AJ quickly broke it.
"So Shel, when was the last time you really partied?"
"Never,"she said and grinned.
"Seriously?"
"Seriously. Just before my junior year of high school, me and a few friends went up to the local lake, Horsetooth and they went skinny dipping. I stayed on the beach. I wasn't very comfortable with myself then."
"You don't seem to have any problems now."
"No because I hit thirty five and realized that life's too short and I was missing out on it." Hoping once again that would evoke some sort of reaction from the man that was supposed to be hers. Nothing. Fine. He's on his own tonight. Not that she didn't care about him but AJ was his friend for God sake! Couldn't they trust him? Apparently not with this they couldn't.
"Good decision,"AJ said and allowed her into the waiting vehicle first. This was gonna be fun.


Two sweaty hours later, she and AJ were still grinding it out on the dance floor. She didn't exactly feel comfortable using AJ against Nick but she was tired of being hidden and being afraid of what would happen once they announced their thing. Shit! Ashton and Demi made it work, why couldn't they? What was Nick so afraid of? AJ's hands on her hips drew her back to him.
"I didn't think you were gonna be able to keep up with me,"he said as the music blared around them; the bass guiding their movement.
"I'm not that old AJ."
"That's not what I meant. I just didn't realize how well you moved until now." She was facing away from him and he pulled her back closer toward himself.
She rested her head against his shoulder and searched the crowd to see if Nick was watching and indeed he was. But he wasn't making any attempt to show that he had anything invested in her.
AJ couldn't figure out what was going on. He'd done everything this side of fucking her on the dance floor and nada! zip, zilch, zero! Maybe a kiss would break his friend's resolve." I could get used to this y'know."
"What? Me? or my moves?"
"You. And your moves." His hand slipped around her waist; landing on her stomach. Her hand rested over it as his free hand slid down her thigh.
God! that felt good! Maybe it was the lack of sex that was doing this to her but if Nick didn't care, she was gonna take full advantage of the attention she was getting."Maybe we should take this somewhere a little more private."
That sounded great and all but he wasn't gonna take complete advantage of her vulnerability. Just a kiss. On the dance floor. That should do it."How 'bout we just slow it down a little?" Turning her around as the music had slowed.
"Fine with me. "Draping her arms around his neck.
"So tell me something Shel."
"What's that?"
"Why is Nick glaring at us?"
Turning her head briefly before answering him."No clue. Don't really care either."
"Hmmm.....I thought you two had something going on."
"You thought wrong."
Fair game now."Then I guess I wouldn't be wrong in doing this."His lips moving toward hers; allowing her ample time to refuse. But she didn't. No wonder Nick had been keeping her a secret. The world around them ceased to exist as lips separated and tongues twisted into that age old dance of lust. He just wanted to get lost in her for more than this but he knew she'd be in Nick's arms before the night was over."No wonder he's been keeping you a secret."
"I thought we were clear on that issue."
"I am. Just making sure you are." As he saw Nick leaving the club. Alone. If that didn't get him to admit it, nothing would.