- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a story I'm writing as a requet to my friend Celine. Hope you like it as much as she does.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's a little slow at first but it gets better. I promise.
It was a hot July afternoon, the rays of the sun burned through the fabric of Celine's cotton white tank top and denim shorts and there was not a breeze in sight. She carried small cardboard boxes three at a time. She'd let Joshua take care of the larger ones. She slammed the car door shut with her foot. Carefully making her way to the front door of their new home. It was by far the worst day to pick for moving.

"Ugh." She placed the boxes gently down. "I need a break." She called out to Joshua who was coming back outside to bring in another load. She tried to look at him though the sun shone bright behind him blinding her. She placed her hand over her above her eyes trying to block the sun and squinted. She couldn't make him out but he was still such a sight. Tall, dark and handsome with broad shoulder, slight muscular build. Yep, straight out of a story book.

"Go ahead honey." He returned from yet another trip and handed her a cold bottle of water. "Here ya go honey."

"Ah, thank you baby." She opened it and place the bottle to her lips. The icy cold water hit the spot, quenching the thirst that this hot God forsaken sun had thrust upon her.

"Why don't you go inside, sit down, get off your feet. I'll finish up here. We're almost done anyway, just a few more boxes."

"No, no. I'm wanna help you finish, after all like you said it just a few more boxes. I still got some energy in me left."

"If you insist."

Celine and Joshua Evans had been dated for nearly most their lives. High school sweethearts. They had met through mutual friends when they were sixteen and had instantaneously taken a liking to each other. He was just about the sweetest guy you could have ever known. Nothing like the any of the other guys Celine had known from school.

The summer after graduation was the hardest for both of them. With Josh being accepted into an ivy league college, he feared he'd lose her if he left her behind. Though she couldn't bear to be apart from him, Celine urged him to go, and on that last summer night in tears she had promised to wait for him.

So here they are years later married and moving into their band new home. Josh had landed himself a new job which require them to relocate to California. Leaving her family and friends behind she followed her husband.

Celine pulled down the sheets to join Josh who was already laying in bed reading a copy of Stephen King's Bag of Bones. He watched her hop into to bed as he laid the book on the nightstand without even taking his eyes off her. She hand no idea why he liked to read that stuff. She couldn't stand it, especially when the sun went down and all the lights were turned off. Her little mind would start imagining things the entire night until al last she'd fall asleep, only to have the scenes of a horror plot played in her dreams.

He wrapped his arms around from behind her and gently placed a kiss upon her temple.

"Thank you." He whispered softly in her eyes as he left a trail of kisses at the back of her neck.

Celine giggled. "For what?"

He played with the string of her sweatpants. "For everything, for your willingness to accommodate me and my needs. I know you would have preferred to stay back home, you always were a small town girl."

"I know how much this job means to you Josh. What kind of wife would I be if I didn't follow you and stand by my husband."

"That's why I love you so much. You've always been so thoughtful."

Josh turned off the light on the nightstand and in the darkness nuzzled her face in her neck. "And thank you for the other thing too. For still loving me, in spite of everything. I know this last year has been...difficult for the both of us."

"Honey?" Josh whispered. "Are you still awake?"

Celine laid on her end of the bed eyes wide open staring at the darkness said not a word.

"Goodnight baby." He place a tender kiss one last time.

She didn't know why she didn't answer him, why she had let him believe she was asleep. It wasn't something she normally did, usually it was only when she was exhausted but lately it was occurring more frequently. She would just lie there in bed recalling the events of the past year. Comparing them to all the years prior. Things used to be so simple back then, when did life get so complicated?

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading.