- Text Size +

Celine stood in the middle of the kitchen slicing lemons on the granite top island. She carefully picked out the seeds and tossed them to the side. Citrus fluid dripping down her hands as she squeezed the fruit's contents into a crystal clear glassed pitcher.

It had been two months since their official move and Celine was having difficulty adjusting to her new surroundings. She knew her deep seeded roots in a small sized county would interfere with the new life she and her husband had planned to make in this sunny California home. Since their arrival their arrival, Joshua had been deeply engulfed in his work, rarely did they ever see each other much less speak to one another.

Her unfortunate luck in finding a job was worrying her and bringing her down some. On many occasions she had tried to explain to her husband of her feelings and although he had been supportive and tried to reassure her, his responses did nothing to lift his troubled wife's spirits. He did not know what if felt like; the frustration of working hard most of your life to get a good education to do something you love so much, something that you always dreamed of doing, only to end up no better than you were before you started. It's like you're at the bottom He'd repeatedly told her that she need not worry about working, that he could take care of her. There was no need to work, he'd tell her. He just didn't understand.

This was not the way she had envisioned her life to be at all. Were all those years of school; late nights cramming for exams wasted? It couldn't be. This wasn't the way it was suppose to be. Had all the sacrifices she had made  been in vain? No. She put in too much to throw in the towel now, she would not resign to a life a inadequacy. She was not going to be just a housewife. Though there was nothing wrong with that, her mother had been one herself and she had been content; lived a happy life. It's just some women were meant to be housewives and others weren't. Celine was not. That was not the life for her. There was something more for her...something she needed. For now, she'd have to wait until she got her break.

The only comfort she found to sooth the disparity she was facing was her neighbor Kimberly. A nice single mother in her late thirties from Ohio who had moved down here many years ago . She had married young. Into only her first semester in college when she had first met her now ex husband; still in her teens when they were married. At thirty seven, Celine thought she was still young but so wise and full of advice. She was grateful to have met Kimberly. It was so far the only thing good to come out of this move.

She poured the freshly made lemonade into two iced glassed and walked around the island toward the kitchen table with the glasses and two coasters in her hands.

"Here you go." She offered her new best friend a drink.

Kimberly accepted the clinking glass, took a sip and placed it down upon the coaster. "So how's everything Miss Celine?"

"Good." She lied.

Kimberly looked at the woman sitting across her. She had known her for just a few weeks but already she knew her well. Well enough to know when Celine was trying to pull a wool over her eyes.

"Celine? Seriously? Are we going to take it there?" The brunette questioned.

"What do you mean?"

She knew it was a waste of time to try to deceive her knew found friend. Somehow this woman always knew when she was trying to hide something. It was like she knew her better than she knew herself.

"Fine." She gave in. "I've just been a little blue lately; been feeling like a complete failure. I keep going to all these different places putting in applications here and there. I've tried all the hospitals and clinics. They all tell me the same thing; 'we'll call you,' or 'you'll hear from us soon.' Even the free based clinics. Free, where you know there is always a need for nurses, and I still can't get a job. I didn't know it was going to be this hard. I thought once I finished school, everything would come along. I'd get this nice job, but no. It's not like that, not like anything I had imagined."

"It never is Celine. We always delusion ourselves with fantasies of what our lives will be like but it's never like that. I hate to get all Sunday morning on you but God has a plan for everyone, your life is mapped out for you and it may not always seem like the road you want to take but you got to just hang in there until you see the picture clearer."

Celine sighed and dropped her gazed to her citrus drink.

"Just hang in there honey, you'll get your opportunity soon."

"I hope so. Staying in this house alone while Josh is at work and not doing anything is driving me crazy."

"Maybe you should get another job anywhere. Temporarily at least to keep you from pulling you hair out of you head, until you get a call back from a prestige hospital." Kim smiled. "It might be good for you."

Celine nodded. Kimberly might just be right. She should find another job to keep her mind off her anxiety, but on the other hand, she feared if she did she would get caught up and trapped in a dead end job, and her dream of being a nurse would fade. It was the very reason why she hadn't done so already. Still she knew she had to do something, she couldn't just sit there and wait for an opportunity to come knocking on her door. What if it never came. Then she'd be stuck becoming what she did not want to be. She weighed the options in her head, dead end job or housewife?