- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you guys are liking the story
Celine cleared the counter top wiping away pastry crumbs and coffee rings. She had taken her dear friend's advice and found herself a job, temporarily at least. Temporary-she hoped. The risk of her ending up stuck there for the rest of her life terrified her but she knew she had to do something. The silence and repetitive life of a housewife just seemed so mundane.

On the other hand she prayed something better would come along , and soon. Working at a small cafe, although sure beat staying at home any day, was just a step above domestic engineering. The politically correct term used for it now a days, but sugar coat it all you want it didn't change Celine's feelings towards it.

She was thankful that her new job gave her a good excuse to get out of the house. Watching the growing gap between her and her husband widening each day, and not being able to do anything about it was driving her crazy.

As Celine took her break, she stared at a young couple sitting at a near by table, their hands clamped together, fingers intertwined together, gazing into each others eyes like they were lost in each other. The boy looked at his date as if she was the only living thing on the planet. He had a look in his eyes that Celine knew very well, and she could imagine how that girl must be feeling. He looked at her once that way. She had felt that fire once before.

She loved her husband very much but even a blind man could see that things had changed drastically over the past few years, especially when things blew over back home. Josh getting that promotion at that exact time was a blessing, it gave them a chance to get away from it all and just start all over.

That's what Celine had believe when she encouraged Joshua to take the job. She had honestly believed that things would be much better and all their troubles would disappear when instead, with his demanding job, things had begun to escalade.

She let out a heavy sigh and prayed yet another prayer that should would find a better job soon, and maybe things would be better. Maybe it was just seeing the way her husband had it all together, career wise, always seeming important and having something to do, people depending on him, that was killing her. That was something that she wanted for herself. Maybe she was turning into a little green eyed monster, after all, she worked just as hard and Josh did to learn her trade, so why did he get all the glory, and why was she left with nothing but an empty house to attend to.

"Oh well," she said silently to herself, "back to coffee cups and Biscottis.." Biscotti, huh. Damn somebody knock me on the head with one please.

She laughed at herself. Had things escaladed that far? Had they gotten so bad that she was actually hoping to meet her end by a pastry?

She continued to giggle as she envisioned the scene in her mind, she could see the headlines already, Death by Biscotti. 

Her husband would never live it down.

 

Even though she wasn't exactly content at work, the end of the day was bittersweet. She was glad it was over and going home, but at the same time going home was maybe the bitter half.

She got in her car, out on her Bluetooth and turned on her phone. Kimberly's child custody hearing was today. She had wanted to be there but since she had just started working earlier that week, Kimberly insisted that she not miss a day on her account, and the Cafe's strict policy on cell phone usage left her dying to talk to her friend, to see what had happened.

The nerve of that man, wasn't it bad enough that she left her for another woman, now he wanted to take her children too.

Celine noted the new messages icon on her screen and dialed her voicemail.

"You have three new messages. To hear your-" Celine cut off the computerized recording and skipped to hear her messages.

"Celine, hey it's me, Josh. Listen honey something came up at work... a major emergency..."

So what else was new? She thought as she heard her husbands voice explaining.

"... and I have to fly to Vancouver today... I'll probably be gone by the time you get this. I'm sorry babe. I'll call you tonight...it..it..this was...so unexpected. Anyways I love you and I should be home next week..."

Next week?  She sighed and skipped to the next message.

"Celine, it Kim call me back when you get this please, okay bye honey." Short and simple. She said nothing about the court hearing but the tone in her voice was more than enough to tell Celine that it went well, as it should have.

The third message left Celine speechless. She couldn't believe what she heard. Had she heard right? Was this really happening? Finally?

Once she parked her drive way she ran to Kimberly house. Antsy, she rang the doorbell.

Kim greeted her with a huge grin that matched her own. "I got the kids!"

"Ahh!! I knew you would." They jumped up and down over the joyous news. "How'd he take it? I bet he was mad?" Celine inquired.

"Furious. He wants to appeal, but my lawyer said that it would be extremely difficult and he has no grounds, so I have nothing to worry about."

"Well that's great."

"I'd offer you coffee but I'm guessing you're pretty tired of that."

"Oh God, please no more coffee." Celine laughed.

"Okay, how about a little wine to celebrate tonight?"

Wine. That sounded good. Celine could use a drink or two right about now. "Definitely a cause for celebration." She followed her friend to the kitchen.

"I know. Umm Changing the subject... how was work?" The older woman grabbed two wine glasses from the cupboard and poured White Zinfandel. 

Celine's eyes widened, in all the laughing and celebration she had nearly forgotten.

"Oh the same ole, same ole. Umm... you know...after I heard your message, I got another one..."

"Oh." Kimberly raised an eyebrow, "From?"

Celine accepted her glass. "From a hospital..." She flashed her pearly whites.

"No!!!" Surprise, Kim smiled at her nodding friend. "Oh my God!"

"They asked me to call them back and well I did.."

"Oh my God, ahh. Ahuh" She motioned Celine to go on.

"And well... they want me to start tomorrow, if possible."

"And you said yes of course?"

"Well, yeah I did!"

"Wow, Celine, this is great news. I know how bad you've been wanting this. Well then this is a double celebration then." She held up her glass. "To your new job, and to victory over unfaithful husbands good riddance, and to the beginning of a new and wonderful life."

"Yes." They tapped their glasses together and sipped down their drinks."

"Um... Celine. Good things are going to happen to us. I just know it, I can feel it."

The two friends sat on the couch, Kimberly had brought the bottle of wine with them and sat it on the coffee table.

"So have you told Josh yet? I bet he's excited."

"No, he doesn't even know. I haven't told him yet." Celine answered.

"What? Why not? I figured he'd be the first to know."

"I didn't exactly have a chance to tell him." The younger of the two said. She held on to the stem of her glass tighter. "He left...out of town...some business thing. Yeah he left me a message. He won't be back till next week."

"Oh, bummer."

"Yeah."

She hadn't even thought about that. She'd been to thrilled about the new job that she hadn't even realized that the man she loves; her husband, was not there to share in the moment with her. This was it. Her dream, finally coming true. It saddened her a bit, but she knew she'd get over it. She was just thankful that she was going to be able to get out of that dead end job. Oh well, she'd tell him when he called.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks Again for taking the time to read.