- Text Size +
Chapter 10:

Nick zipped up the large duffel bag before pulling on his jacket. He still couldn’t believe he had been able to get the cash so quickly. Now he just had to get it to that psycho so he could get his brother back. He grabbed his jacket and pulled it on before heading for the door with the duffel bag slung over his shoulder.

“Hey man. Where ya going?”

Nick froze when he heard Howie behind him, “I um… I was going to the gym. I can’t sit around here doing nothing. Thought I’d work off the nervous energy you know?”

“Sure. You want me to go down with you? We can go to the hotel gym.”

“No!” Nick cleared his throat, “No. I’m gonna go to one that’s a few blocks away. I’ll be back in a while. Don't worry I'll take an officer with me.”

“Um.. okay. Are you okay Nick?”

“I’m fine Howie. I just want AJ back. That’s all.”

“Okay.”

Nick nodded and hurried toward the elevator before Howie could ask him more questions. Once inside, he took a deep breath to calm his racing heart and pulled the piece of paper that had the address on it from his pocket.

“518 Grant St.”

Nick sighed deeply and exited the elevator and made his way out of the hotel as fast as he could without being seen.

***

AJ moaned softly as consciousness slowly began to clear his mind.

“Are you okay?”

“No,” he groaned again, “my fucking head is pounding.”

“I … I’m sorry,” Tamara spoke.

AJ snorted, “Yeah like I’m supposed to believe you? You’re a part of this!”

“He beat me too.”

“What?”

“While you were unconscious. He beat me. Kept yelling all this shit that didn’t make any sense. The plan has gone wrong and I don’t know what happened to him.”

“What does he want from me?” AJ asked as he started shivering and his stomach growled fiercely.

“I don’t know. He has a hate for you like I’ve never seen. He hasn’t told me why though.”

****

Nick climbed out of the taxi, pulling his bag with him and looked up at the warehouse. This was the place. 518 Grant St. He took a deep breath and walked toward the large metal door.

“Hello?” he called out after opening the door, “I got your money.”

He took a few cautious steps forward.

“That’s far enough,” a gruff voice spoke.

Nick stopped, “Where’s AJ?”

“Where’s my money?”

“Right here.”

“Drop the bag.”

Nick placed the bag on the floor at his feet.

“Kick it forward.”

Nick gave the bag a swift kick and it went sailing forward about 10 feet.

“Where’ AJ?” he repeated.

“You’ll get your bitch back tomorrow around 12:00.”

“I want him now!”

“Those are the rules. Walk away.”

Nick took a few steps backwards before turning and heading for the door.

“Carter!”

Nick turned, “What?”

“You forgot something.”

Daniel raised his gun and fired.

*******

“I just didn’t like the way he was acting that’s all.” Howie told Horatio. “He was too nervous he’s hiding something. I have a feeling he is up to something not…” he bit his bottom lip.

“His cell phone we can track him through that,” Calleigh said quickly dialing a number. “Wolfe I need to find the location of this phone ASAP.”

“He’s near the everglades in an old sugar cane warehouse.” Calleigh said as she heard Wolfe give him the address. “518 Grant St. That is no gym.”

“Let’s go,” Horatio said already walking out, “get back up,” he told Calleigh who was already following him.

“Is he ok?” Howie asked as he heard of Nick’s whereabouts.

“We don’t know,” Calleigh said as she saw her phone ring. “Yes?”

“Calleigh? He did receive a call earlier from a pay phone that only lasted two minutes. I have a feeling he got contacted by someone… maybe the kidnapper?” Wolfe said as he continued to check the calls he had received.

“Check his accounts…” Calleigh said as she followed Horatio and got into the Hummer. “We have to hurry Horatio I don’t have a good feeling,” she said as she dialed Tripp’s number for back up.