- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's our next chapter. We hope you like it ~ Patti and Krystle
Chapter 6:

“Cynthia?”

The young woman looked up for the scanner, “Horatio, I see you got my page.”

“I did,” Horatio gave her a quick nod, “what have you got for me?”

“The letter that Mr. Littrel’s son found?”

“The ransom?” Horatio prompted.

“Yes sir. I found two prints on the front and back. As if the person held it with his index finger and thumb.”

“Interesting. Any hits in AFIS?”

“Still running,” Cynthia replied.

A second later the computer beeped telling her it had found a match on the fingerprint.

“On second thought, we have a hit,” she clicked the screen and the booking photo of a young man popped up, “Jeffrey Lancaster. Quiet the little rap sheet for being only 27 years old. A number B and Es, petty larceny, and possession.”

“Our friend seems to like things that do not belong to him. Good work,” Horatio complimented, “Address?”

“Last known is the Doubletree Hotel in Coconut Grove on Darwin street.”

“Thank you,” Horatio flipped open his ringing cell phone, “Mr. Wolfe meet me at the Hummer please.

***

“1375 East Flagler,” Calleigh announced as she brought the Hummer to a stop.

Eric looked out the passenger window at the run down apartment building.

He nodded toward the building, “Red head. Just like the maintenance woman said.”

“Let’s go have a little talk,” Calliegh opened the driver’s side door and climbed down from the Hummer.

Eric climbed out and met her at the front of the vehicle. Together the CSIs walked up the sidewalk to the front of the building.

“Excuse me miss,” Eric spoke, “Miami-Dade PD.”

The woman turned around and Calleigh immediately saw the nervousness that crossed her face.

“Yes?”

“CSI Delko,” Eric pointed to himself and then Calleigh, “this is CSI Duquesne. We’re looking for Tamara Lancaster.”

“I’m Tamara,” she answered and swallowed nervously.

“You are the registered owner of a 2008 black Chevy Tahoe? Is that correct?”

Tamara looked at the blonde woman and nodded at her question, “Yeah that’s my truck. What’s it to you?”

“You reported it stolen?” Eric questioned.

“Yeah. My asshole brother stole it. I want it back.”

“What’s his name?” Calleigh asked.

“Jeff.”

“Where can we find Jeff?”

“Who knows,” Tamara answered, “He comes and goes as he pleases. Never sticks around much after taking what he needs.”

Calleigh and Delko exchanged a look.

“Thank you. We’ll be in touch,” Eric nodded and turned to walk away.

Calleigh glanced at him confused before following him back to the Hummer.

****

“They want how much money?” Nick yelled.

Detective Tripp glanced at his memo pad, “30 million.”

“30 million dollars?!”

“Nick calm down,” Howie stepped up to his friend, “When do they want it?”

“12 noon tomorrow. The ransom said they would kill him if they don’t get it.”

Nick sucked in a deep breath, “Kill him?”

“That’s how these things work Mr. Carter. We will find him.”

Nick scoffed, “Yeah cause you’ve made such good progress so far! It’s been 3 days!”

“Nick,” Howie started.

“No Howie. This is crap. Our friend, our brother was taken from us. I will not calm down. I want AJ found. I want AJ back now!”

****

“Hey!” Daniel nudged AJ, “Wake up.”

AJ groaned, “I’m awake.”

“Sit up!”

AJ pushed himself up into a seated position and grimaced as pain flared through his shoulders. His arms were still tied behind his back and his shoulders ached with a pain he couldn’t remember ever feeling.

“I’m going to untie your arms so you can eat. You do something stupid, I’ll flatten your ass. Understood.”

“Yes.”

Daniel knelt down and undid the knot in the rope and pulled it off. AJ breathed deeply as the pressure lessened and he was able to pull his arms in front of him.

The metal door screeched open and Tamara walked in, “I need to talk to you.”

“What?”

“Over here.”

Daniel shoved the plate of food into AJ’s hands and walked over to the door where his girlfriend stood.

“What?”

“The police showed up at my apartment.”

“What?!” Daniel screamed, “How can you be so fucking stupid!? I told you to be careful!”

AJ watched in stunned silence at the exchange. He braced himself for the smack that he was sure to come at Tamara.

“Hey!” Tamara yelled back, “It wasn’t my fucking fault! It’s my loser brother they are looking for!”

“He stole my truck. I want it back.”

“You stupid bitch. You filed a police report! Now we’re on their radar.”

“Just figure out how to fix it,” Tamara snapped and walked out slamming the metal door shut.