- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading, here's the next bit.

Chapter 10 

We’d all finished breakfast and were heading back towards the lifts, undecided on what we were going to do today, but all knowing that we wanted it to be fun-packed and something to take my mind off the whole Mrs McLean thing.  There were a couple of things on my list that we could easily do here, like the scary rollercoaster ride for example and maybe the fast car.  That should take my mind off it for a while. 

We got back to our suite and all flopped down on the oversized sofas, grabbing at the many tourist leaflets to browse through in order to decide what we were going to do today. 

“Hmm, what do you fancy girls?” I asked as I looked at a leaflet for day trips to the Grand Canyon.  I quite liked the idea of going there, but wasn’t so sure about the little plane we’d have to take to get there, or the sky walk; that looked petrifying to me.  I wasn’t really one for doing things out of my comfort zone.  But then what was this trip all about if not to do things out of the ordinary.  Yeah, you sure did something out of the ordinary last night Steph! 

“We could do that Grand Canyon trip if you want, that skywalk looks pretty cool too” Izzy said, her face the picture of excitement. 

“I’m up for it” said Jess 

“Me too” agreed Chloe 

“Well, count me in too” I said 

“I’ll just call and book it, hopefully we can go today, if not we’ll do it tomorrow yeah?” Izzy said as she began dialing the number on the leaflet. 

A few minutes later and she was off the phone. 

“Grab your things girls, we’re going to the Grand Canyon” she said with a huge smile on her face “and Steph, you’ll be pleased to know that we’re not going on a plane” 

“Thank god for that” I said and sighed with relief as I imagined us driving there or something like that.  I wasn’t even sure how far away it was. 

“We’re going by helicopter instead” she said excitedly 

“Fuck” I muttered.  That was even worse, but at least it would count as a scary ride and would be another item ticked off my list.  That’s if I managed to work up the courage to step into the helicopter! 

We made our way to the helicopter departure place, which was conveniently located on the strip, and paid for the tickets which had been reserved only a short time ago.  Twenty minutes later and we were walking towards the awaiting helicopter.  I gulped loudly and wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans. 

“It’ll be fine Steph” Jess reassured me “deep breaths remember” 

“OK” I mumbled, although no amount of deep breathing was going to calm me down.  Helicopters were one of my worst nightmares when it came to travel.  I don’t know why as I’d never been on one, but I just didn’t like the idea. 

I knew why I’d been right to be afraid. 

The helicopter lifted up into the air and swung around to change direction, then took off for the Grand Canyon.  It was noisy, fast, terrifying and I kept my eyes closed for most of it.  I kept chanting to myself in my mind ‘everything’s gonna be OK’ over and over when I felt like my terror was going to overcome me. 

Eventually we landed and I could breathe easily again.  The other girls had loved it and told me I’d missed out on some spectacular views.  I could live with that fact! 

I didn’t breathe easy for long. 

We walked into a large building (which was the gateway to hell as far as I was concerned) and paid the entrance fee.  It was quite pricey, but it wasn’t like I couldn’t afford it, I could just think of more fun things to spend money on! 

The skywalk was terrifying; it was literally exactly what it said on the tin, a walk in the sky!  Jutting out from the rocks in a kind of D shape, the walk was made entirely of glass (supported by steel), so that it offered an incredible view of the canyon below.  Not to mention the fact that it was 4000 feet above water! 

“I don’t think I can do this” I said to the three girls beside me.  I was trembling with fear. 

“Come on Steph.  We’re here now, you have to.  Plus it’s on your list isn’t it, doing something scary” Chloe reminded me. 

“I know, it’s just that…well…it’s so high up and you know I hate heights” I sighed in defeat.  I knew there was no getting out of this. 

“Come on, it’ll be fun, you’ll see” Izzy said.  Alright for her to say that, nothing seemed to scare her. 

“Do you mind if I just hang out here for a while…to get used to the idea first?” I asked “You go on ahead and I’ll go and get a drink or something in the cafe.  It’s not like we’re in any rush, we can stay here as long as we want” 

“OK, but as long as you’re going to be alright on your own” Jess said and placed her hand on my arm reassuringly. 

“I’ll be fine.  I’ve just got to get my head around it” I said.  From where I was standing, I was never going to get my head around it.  “Go on, I don’t want to spoil your fun” 

And then they were gone. 

I turned and walked back towards the café, purchased a muffin and a coke and took a seat at an empty table.  I pulled my phone out of my bag and slid it open to check for messages or missed calls.  There weren’t any.  I wondered if AJ had managed to get hold of anyone to start the ball rolling for the annulment.  I knew he would’ve called me though if there was anything I needed to know.  I knew he regretted last night as much as I did and would want it out of the way as quickly as possible.  

“Mind if I join you?” asked a deep voice that was strangely familiar, pulling me out of my thoughts. 

I looked up and saw AJ standing there with a cup of something hot.  Great!  Can the day get any worse? 

“Erm…OK” I replied shyly, although after what I’m sure we’d got up to last night, I should be anything but shy. 

He took a seat opposite me and sipped on his coffee before opening his mouth to say anything more. 

“Well this is awkward” he said eventually 

“Yes, it is isn’t it” I replied 

“So…about last night…” he began 

“Can we please not talk about last night?” I pleaded “it’s all kind of a blur…” 

“So you don’t remember much either?” he interrupted 

“No, not really” I replied and felt my face burning and decided to change the subject “so, what are you doing here?” 

“What are you doing here?” he asked without answering my question. 

“You first” I insisted 

“Oh…I guess I may as well just admit it.  Nick dragged me here, but I hate heights, I just couldn’t bring myself to walk on that glass walkway…no fucking way” he shuddered at the thought and I laughed.  He looked at me like I’d offended him. 

“I’m sorry; I’m not laughing at you.  I’m laughing because that’s exactly the reason I’m sitting here too” I admitted. 

“Well, that’s one thing we have in common” he smiled at me. 

I looked away embarrassed.  His smile brought back another hazy memory from the night before, one which I’d rather not remember. 

~*~ 

“Do you Stephanie Jane Mahoney, take this man, Alexander James McLean to be your husband?” asked a guy in an Elvis costume. 

“Yes, I do” I giggled as I stood there wrapped in his arms. 

“And do you Alexander James McLean take this woman, Stephanie Jane Mahoney to be your wife?” the Elvis guy asked AJ 

“I sure do” he replied and grinned down at me adoringly. 

When it came to the exchange of rings we looked at each other and shrugged, then AJ took off one of his rings and slipped it onto my finger and I reached into my little bag and retrieved a pen and drew a ring around his finger.  The Elvis guy raised an eyebrow curiously and muttered “whatever” to himself and then pronounced us husband and wife. 

Before he had a chance to say “you may now kiss the bride”, AJ lifted me into his arms and brought his mouth crashing down on mine and began carrying me down the small aisle, his mouth locked with mine the whole time and my arms around his neck. 

“Mrs McLean, I’m gonna make love to you all night long” he said huskily. 

~*~ 

I snapped out of my little flashback and glanced across at AJ. 

“Don’t worry Steph” he said gently “we’ll sort it out, I promise” 

“I know” I replied and smiled at him warmly.  We sat there talking for a while, and I had to admit to myself that he was quite a nice guy. 

“Now, shall we go out there and face our fears?  Or stay here and eat muffins all day long” he looked at my now almost gone muffin. 

“Well, I'd rather stay and eat muffins all day, but the whole idea of coming here was to do new and challenging things” I said “so I guess we ought to go out there” 

“I’ll give it a go if you will” he said and stood up to leave. 

“If I fall to my death, I’ll hold you personally responsible” I joked and also stood.