- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for reading!  Here's the next part, sorry it's not that long, but I'm off for a whole week after Christmas Eve so hopefully I'll get plenty more written :)

Chapter 14

Of course my friends and probably half the plane had heard my little argument with AJ, but I was almost beyond caring. I took a few deep breaths to try and calm myself before the inevitable barrage of questions from my friends. I knew they meant well and were only being there for me, but I really didn’t feel like talking about it. I wanted to bury my head in the sand and pretend none of it was real.

“So, I guess that was AJ then?” Chloe asked to get the conversation going.

“Yep” I said, not elaborating at all on what we’d talked about. I was still fuming with him.

“Y’know, for a couple of people who hardly know each other…you sound just like a married couple” Jess said and then looked away, obviously realizing it was not what I wanted to hear.

“They ARE a married couple Jess” Izzy smirked and I just glared at her, daring her to say another word on the subject.

“OK, I’m sorry, that was out of order” Izzy apologized “but you are married to the guy”.

“I know. Look, I’m sorry for being snappy, but he’s just wound me up so much” I said and ran my hands through my hair in exasperation.

“Why, what did he say?” asked Chloe

I took a moment to recall the conversation.

“He called me a frosty bitch” I said and winced. At the time I’d deserved it. I had acted like a right bitch to him. But he’d also acted like an asshole. We were even.

“So you called him an asshole” Izzy said “we heard that bit”

“Yeah, he deserved it” I smiled

“What about the annulment? Has he spoken to his lawyer?” asked Chloe

“Yeah. Apparently there’s a backlog of cases, so who knows how long this will take” I shrugged

“Well, at least the ball is rolling now. Don’t worry about it, everything will work out in the end” Jess reassured me.

“Yeah, I guess so” I muttered.

We changed the subject then. I think they knew I didn’t really want to talk about it anymore, and there was nothing else to tell anyway.

A distraction came in the form of the in-flight meal. Not very appetizing in the least, even though we were in first class, but I managed to eat a bit of it as it had been several hours since breakfast and my stomach had begun to rumble. It filled a gap.

I closed my eyes for the last hour of the flight and was woken by the sound of the captain announcing that we’d shortly be arriving at Heathrow Airport and to fasten our seatbelts.

“I can’t wait to see Jake” Jess gushed “I wonder if he’ll like the present I got him”

 “I’m sure he will” I said confidently

“Well, I can’t wait to see my bed” Izzy yawned out “I’m knackered”

“Oh me too” Chloe said

“And me three” I laughed

The plane touched down with a bump and came to a stop at the terminal a couple of minutes later. It was such a relief to get off the plane and be back on solid ground again. We’d been travelling for what felt like days.

After collecting our cases from the carousel, we made our way out of the airport and into the typical British weather – rain! I was glad I’d paid the extra car park charge and parked in the closer car park. We were drenched enough walking that short distance, I dread to think what state we would’ve been in if we’d parked in one of the other car parks.

I dropped the girls off at their houses and carried on the short distance back to my tiny little place. Maybe it was time I bought something bigger, I could afford it now that I’d won the lottery. But I’d think about that another day. I just wanted to get in and kick off my shoes and collapse into bed.

Before I went to sleep though, I realized I’d not switched my phone back on after the little disagreement with AJ. As soon as the phone powered up, I noticed that I had a text message.

Yes, I am an asshole. I’m sorry.
AJ

I smiled as I read his message. “At least he admits it” I giggled and pulled up a new message.

Sorry for being a bitch
Steph

I texted him back and held onto the phone, wondering if he’d reply. I didn’t have to wait long before the phone was vibrating in my hand.

That’s OK, lol
I’ll let you know when I hear anything else
AJ

I began replying to him.

OK, night then
Steph

I hit the send button and put the phone down on my bedside table, then switched off my lamp. The phone vibrated again and I reached out for it.

Sweet dreams

I smiled and placed the phone back down. Within minutes I was asleep, but my dreams were far from sweet.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review and let me know how you think the story is going so far.  Thanks!