- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay, my laptop died on me and I wasn't able to write in work.

Chapter 17 

Before I knew it, Wednesday arrived and in just a few hours, I’d be heading to Las Vegas again.  Had it really only been two weeks since I’d been there? 

I packed my clothes and other necessities into my case, making sure I didn’t forget to put my passport in my carry on bag.  I’d printed off my boarding pass already and put that in my bag to keep it safe, so that was one less thing to worry about. 

Seeing as I didn’t have a job at the moment, I didn’t have the hassle of arranging time off work.  In fact, I had all the time in the world now.  I’d have to find something to occupy my time once I got this annulment business over and done with.  Maybe some part-time volunteer work or something like that.  Anyway, I could focus on that in the future; right now my mind was on other matters.   

I’d already called the girls to let them know I wasn’t going to be there for our girl’s night.  They wished me luck and asked me to call and let them to let them know that everything was OK once I got there.  I didn’t feel the need to tell my family I was going back to Las Vegas as that would’ve brought about some very awkward questions, and what they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them!  Obviously I’d not mentioned the fuck up of a wedding. 

I was grateful that my flight was an overnight one, I could try to sleep on the plane and then hopefully wake up in a not too zombie like state in Las Vegas in the early hours of Thursday morning.  Well, that was the plan anyway! 

As is usual with me, nothing ever seems to go to plan. 

I ended up sitting next to a very punky looking guy (more piercings and tattoos than I’d ever seen on a person before, and that was saying something considering the amount AJ had)) with ear plugs in, although he may as well have just not bothered, I could hear every word of the music (if you could call it that) which he was listening to.  I was relieved when he yawned and removed the ear plugs, and then closed his eyes.  I was finally able to sleep, although it wasn’t the best sleep I’d ever had, but who can really sleep well on a plane? 

The plane eventually touched down in Las Vegas at about four am.  I was so tired that I closed my eyes once again during the taxi ride to my hotel.  I decided against hiring a car this time.  I didn’t really need one, wherever I had to go could be done by taxi or foot or even bus if I had to. 

“Here we are sleepy head” the taxi guy called out when we were outside The Bellagio. 

I paid my fare and carted my wheeled case and carry on bag through the doors and walked up to the reception desk.  Here we go again, this is like Déjà vu! 

“Can I help you?” asked the receptionist. 

“Hi, yes.  I’ve got a room booked, the name’s Steph Mahoney” I replied with a yawn.  I really needed to get some proper sleep. 

After a few moments of tapping away at her keyboard, I was handed my key card and told to have a pleasant stay.   

I was pleasantly surprised with my room.  After the sheer luxury of the suite we’d had last time, I really wasn’t expecting anything too fancy – I was mistaken.  It was quite a large room with a king-sized bed (with really fancy looking duvet and cushions), a flat screen TV, marble bathroom with bath tub and separate enclosed shower cubicle, automatic curtains and god knows what else.  I was so tired that I just took my shoes off and fell into the bed.  Within minutes I was fast asleep. 

It was lunch time by the time I surfaced.  I stretched and yawned, then dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom.  A nice hot shower and some fresh clothes were just what I needed to make myself feel more human.  Once I looked a little more presentable, I decided to go and grab something to eat.  It was a little nerve wracking being in such a place on my own, but looking around; I noticed that I wasn’t the only one by myself.  Whether these other people were holidaying alone or just eating alone, I had no idea, but I didn’t feel quite such a loner anymore. 

Once I’d stopped my stomach from rumbling with a sandwich and a drink, I pulled my phone out to text my friends that I’d arrived safely.  I also deliberated whether to call AJ.   

I went back up to my room and unpacked properly, and then flung myself down on the bed.  Should I or shouldn’t I call him? Eventually I decided it was the decent thing to do to let him know I was here, so I sent a brief text message. 

I’m in Vegas, see you tomorrow – Steph 

I put my phone down on the bedside table and bit into the double chocolate chip muffin which I’d bought in the café to take away.  Moments later my phone vibrated. 

Cool.  Although we really should get together before we go into the court, papers to sign, etc.  Where you staying? – AJ 

I read his message and realized that he was absolutely right; we should meet up before going to the court.  I really didn’t know what to expect and couldn’t just stroll in there unaware and fumbling with paperwork I’d not even looked at.  Knowing my luck, I’d fuck it right up otherwise! 

Yeah, you’re right.  I’m at the Bellagio – Steph 

I waited for his reply. 

Well surprise surprise, so am I – AJ 

What were the chances of that? 

What time is good for you? – Steph 

I looked at my watch, it was almost five o’clock. 

How about 6 in that café next to the conservatory? – AJ 

Well at least if we were in a public place, we wouldn’t end up arguing with each other. 

See you there – Steph 

I fussed about with my appearance until it was time to leave my room, checking my make up and hair looked good.  Although why I was bothering, I couldn’t say.  It’s not like I wanted to look good for him.  I couldn’t have cared less what he thought of me, it’s not like I was attracted to him or anything.  He was so not my type of guy!