- Text Size +
The start of Alex’s final month in her care was going to be the toughest because she knew the rules but was in love with him 100 percent. She felt like crying because she was afraid of the day she would have to let him go on with his life and leave her behind. Nick stared at the ceiling in his bedroom, his mind kept wandering back to Star. No matter how he tried to think of something else, he couldn’t. He knew he had Willa but he also knew he met a fresh face someone new that he could talk to when he and Willa had their fights.

"Hello star, I owe you coffee so how bout we meet on Tuesday while Kris is having a session with Alex. I know a great spot."
“Ok Nick. Sounds great, can’t wait to see you Tuesday we have so much to talk about."
“Yes, we do if I don’t bore you that is, but hey listen I gotta go. I hear Willa waking up so see you Tuesday Star."
“Ok Nick, Tuesday stay safe till then.”

Star smiled as she finished filling out some paperwork for Kris. She began to wonder what it would be like with Alex gone he had grown on her as a nice guy and they are developing a friendship. Star also knew the day of October 31st would be hard for everyone involved especially Kris and Alex.
~~~
She knocked on his door when she got no answer she opened it and was about to ask why he didn’t answer when she saw him there just laying shirtless, asleep looking like a beautiful angel. She walked over to his bedside and soon found herself laying next to him god she would be n so much trouble if anyone found out she was just about to get up when suddenly she felt his arms wrapping around her. She didn’t want to wake him by yelling for Star to come help but then again she had to because she had other clients to attend with and it was against the rules, she went to move but found herself falling asleep right there in his arms, she would have hell to pay for that later. After 2 hours Star had gone to look for Kris wondering where she wandered off to and got the shock of her life when she looked in Alex’s room and saw the two of them laying in bed together. Star knew she could face trouble with the boss if she didn’t do something but seeing those two together asleep like that made her heart sink because soon it would come to an end. Star walks over to the bed and gently shakes Kris not wanting to wake Alex. Kris opens her eyes looking at star then when she realizes she’s in Alex’s bed, she says “oh no I’m gonna get fired, Star help me get his arms open so we can get out of here before he wakes up. Star shakes her head and helps Kris get out of his arms. Kris covers him up and they quickly leave his room just as their boss walks through the door.
"Why aren’t the patients doing chores, have you seen the grounds of this place its horrible."
“Travis and Adam are doing the best they can sir, it’s a big facility.”
"Well its unacceptable move chore time up an hour that should get things moving around here."
“What brings you here today sir? You weren’t supposed to arrive until Mr. Mclean’s departure date to oversee everything."
“Ah interesting you should ask I’m here because it’s gotten back to me that there have been some incidents here at the center and I wanted to come down and check for myself."
“Sir we can assure you that those incidents were resolved and there haven’t been any since that night."
“I understand you ladies want to protect those involved but you know our policy after every incident. I have to come down and look into why they were caused besides the incidents involve one of you anyways. So I have some doors to knock on and the two of you should get comfy you’re in for a long day.”

Travis turned and left while Star and Kris went ahead and sat down at a table in Kris' office.

“Who do you think would have said anything Star? Oh god I’m gonna get fired."
“I don’t know but it had to be one of the staff. I mean they are always here I’m sure it’s nothing."
“Oh it’s something did you see the way he looked at us, great I knew I should of never gotten that close to him it’s a rule and I broke it."
“It wasn’t your fault you didn’t expect to fall in love with Alex. It just happened I’m sure Tim will understand, besides he can’t fire you who else would counselor these animals the way you do."
She didn’t hear star her thoughts were getting the best of her all she could think about is what would happen if she got fired, who would look after Alex who would understand him like she does, would she ever be able to get a job at another rehab center, she know wishes she would of never fell for Alex because in the end someone is gonna get hurt.
~~~

It had been 2 weeks since the boss was in to see everyone and the outcome wasn’t very good. Kris got suspended until after Alex’s departure date and what’s worse is Alex got assigned to me and i have to be the one to tell nick how everything happened later today on our coffee date.

~Flashback 2 weeks ago~
"Kris I need to see you in my office in ten minutes."
“Yes sir, I'll be there.”
she bites her lip wondering what’s going to happen. Ten minutes later she walks in to his office shutting the door, she sits in the chair and speaks “you wanted to see me sir?"
“Yes I called you in my office to tell you that I looked into the matter at hand and decided it’s in the facilities best interest to...”
“Please don’t fire me I know I broke the rules but I swear it I’ll never happen again in fact I'll ask that ale... I mean Mr. Mclean be assigned to someone else so it doesn’t occurr again."
“Oh no I’m not gonna fire you that would be a bad thing to do because of how good you are but I am suspending you until after the 31st, and Mr. Mclean has already been assigned a new counselor so finish out your shift today then get your things and chill out till next month and oh have a nice day. "

She gets up walking out of his office running to the bathroom as the tears fell like rain down her face, knowing she had to say goodbye to Star and Alex and this place. Her heart was breaking with no one to fix it. She walks to his room knocking on the door.
“Alex I need to talk to you are you awake?” She prayed he wouldnt answer so she didn’t have to see his heart break but who else was gonna tell him? He opened the door smiling as she walked in
“Ok I’m awake what do we have to talk about?"
“I’m leaving Alex. I can’t be your counselor anymore. Don’t ask why just know that it wasn’t anything you did."
“I don’t understand. I leave in 3 weeks and you’re not gonna be here. What am I supposed to do now it’s gonna take me forever to talk to this new counselor."
“No you already know her somewhat. It’s Star. She’s a great counselor you'll love her. I just wanted to come and say goodbye so please listen to her and keep up with your sessions. At lease I know u will be in good hands."
“There has to be something I can do I mean what if I don’t want anybody else to be my counselor I could leave right now but if I did that it would disappointment to Nick and everything I’ve worked hard towards, how can I be nice when I’m angry."
“Alex, you have to be you have to do everything right you will be out of here back with Sarah, enjoying life as like this never happened.”

With that she walked over hugged him and walked out the door knowing his heart had just been shattered again. He slammed the door throwing everything in his room on the floor, “F**k it, AJ Mclean screwed up yet again so what’s the point anymore.
~~~ End of flash back~~~


"So wow 2 weeks flew by how have you been Star?"
“I have some things to tell you nick and they may shock you so just bare with me."
“Come on it can’t be that bad your having a coffee date with me so that’s a plus right?"

“Yes, I think that’s the only good thing to come out of this. Kris was suspended 2 weeks ago because of her being in love with Alex. Everything went wrong and I am assigned to him. He hasn’t come out of his room since she left and I’m worried when he leaves he may relapse because of this.”
"I won’t let that happen he worked too hard to just give up. I mean it sucks because of the situation but he does have a girlfriend, he knew better."
“Well I thought you’d be a little more considerate but you have a point he does have a girlfriend so he shouldn’t of got mixed up with Kris but how do we get him to finish his sessions if he won’t talk?"
“Well give him paper tell him to write what he feels then come back and get it later when he is sleeping. I mean that’s what I would do or just force it out of him.”
"Nick I can’t do that. I’m not that mean besides he won’t even come out the room it’s locked all the time. I think he feels like everyone’s out to get him. Well I have to go now. Thanks for the coffee Nick. It was good talking to you. I have to get back to the center and see if he will talk I feel so bad about everything.”
"Ok let me walk you to your car and say goodbye.”
He walked her to the car and what happens next shocks the both of them as their lips lock only for a few seconds though...
“Uh I have to go.” She gets in her car and speeds away toward the center leaving Nick standing there with a confused look on his face.
~~~

Kris looked at her clock on the wall ten o’ clock in a few more hours Alex would be out of rehab and headed back to his life. She prayed he would be safe and somehow wished she could be there on this big day to tell him how proud of him she was and that they would always be best friends and she would always be here if he needed anything but now she won’t get the chance. She thinks I wonder if Star gave him the note I wrote for him maybe it will make him smile I did when I wrote it. She gets herself yet another bowl of ice cream and climbs back in bed how can today get any worse she thinks to herself.
"Mr. Mclean, open the door I have some mail here for you."
“Slide it under the door and go away. Soon I'll be far away from this place, this damn town and you people.”
Star slides the mail under the door walking away to go finish the rest of the meetings she had until his departure time. He picks up the mail about ready to throw the letters in the trash when he sees one from Kris, He climbs on his bed and opens her letter:
Dear Alex, I didn’t know whether or not to even send you a letter because I’m pretty sure you hate me for leaving you alone in there but I swear that wasn’t what I wanted I didn’t want to have to tell you that and I’m sorry that it happened that way but just remember it wasn’t your fault and if you aren’t mad at me. I’m your best friend I am always gonna be here if you need anything or just someone to talk. I put a card with my cell number on it for you and oh by the way I’m so proud of you wish I could be there to tell you that in person but I know you’re in good hands say hello to Nick and Star for me. I want you to continue your program and steps. Sarah will never understand just how lucky she is… I’m gonna end this now before I get upset again Your amazing and thank you so much for giving me the chance to know you as Alex you won’t be forgotten
always your friend, Kris.
He seals the letter back up putting it his pocket so it’s safe for the ride home he did have a smile on his face till he remembered his ride home was Sarah. Alex picked up his bags walking to the counter signing his name in the book for the last time when he finally saw Star he apologized and said goodbye.
“Tell Kris I said thanks, the letter made me smile."
“No problem but I think you should tell her yourself one of these days."
“Maybe I will do that but right now i gotta blow this popstand and get back to my doggies.”
He walked outside putting his bags down waiting for Sarah to get there. He had no idea what he was gonna, say, or do when she got there all he knew was he was going back to his life.
Beep.. Beep.. went the sound of a horn honking when he looked up there was Sarah driving his car.
"Baby you’re free. I bet your excited to be going home back to civilization."
“Yeah let’s just go I’m tired.”
He throws his bags in the back of the car just wanting to get back to Atlanta and clear his mind.
~~~

Star had tried many times to call nick and ask him about the kiss but she didn’t have to courage to leave a message. She was feeding the dogs when her phone rang she had answered “Hello."
“Hey Star, its’ Nick sorry I haven’t called you since our coffee date. Been super busy with the fellas and everything but I wanted to say I’m sorry for kissing you like that I dunno what came over me I hope you can forgive me?"
“Yes nick your forgiven and it’s ok I have been wondering about it for days but now I know so thanks for calling. Listen, I have to go I need to check on Kris and let her know he got her letter.”
Will Kim and Alex remain friends or have their cards been played? Will Star and Nick cross paths in the weeks to come or was it just a one time thing? Only time will tell if roses really do have thorns....