- Text Size +
Chapter One

Bianca, Darcy and Abrianna all jumped at the shrill sound of a phone ringing. Bianca and Abrianna both quickly began digging around under the masses of sleeping bags, blankets, pillows and magazines to find the ringing object, which was no doubt one of their cell phones. Darcy rolled her green eyes and crossed her arms over her chest in inpatients with the two.

“Could you guys NOT have turned those damn things off for just one lousy night?” she asked in disgust, “I’m about to throw them out the window.”

She pointed to the second story window to prove her point as her two friends stopped searching for a moment to stare at her blankly before going right back to their hunt for the ringing phone.

“I’m waiting for Tyler to call,” Bianca explained, naming her boyfriend, “Besides, it’s my house. I can keep my phone on if I want to,” She finally felt her phone wrapped up in Darcy’s sleeping back and brought it up, frowning when she discovered that it was not hers. She threw her phone down in frustration muttering some vulgar things about her irresponsible boyfriend.

“And you know my mother always calls to check up on me,” Abrianna said in annoyance.

“Your mom is bipolar,” Darcy retorted for the fifth time that week, but deep down wished that her parents cared enough to check up on her once in awhile. At least she would know they realized that she had gone out. She’d gone to Florida for a week once and they thought that she’d been in her room the entire time when she had even TOLD them she was leaving.

Abrianna didn’t argue with her. Her mom was a pain in the ass sometimes. She wished that she would just lay off and quit smothering her so much. She pulled her phone out from under a bag of chips, realizing that it was hers right away.

“I’ll be back,” she informed them, dismissing herself. She didn’t even bother to look at the caller ID display as she stood up and began walking toward the door, flipping her phone open and brought it to her ear, “Hello?” she answered, opening the door, and slipping out into the hallway closing it behind her.

Darcy waited until she was sure that the door was completely closed before saying, “Think it’s her mom or Alex? She would never leave the room if it were just her mom calling.”

Bianca shrugged, not really paying much attention, going back to looking at the 25 hottest guys of 2003 in the latest issue of YM. Darcy peeked at them from her position sitting across from Bianca and got a glance at her latest obsession.

“Is that Johnny Depp?” she almost shrieked, ripping the magazine out from under Bianca’s line of vision and turning it upright for herself to get a better look at.

“Hey,” Bianca protested, “I was looking at them. Paul Walker is on the same page, damnit.”

“Ain’t he so hot,” Darcy asked, oblivious to Bianca, “Ohhhh,” she groaned, licking her lips.

Bianca rolled her eyes at her. This was her fifth new obsession on a guy in less than three months. There was Nick Carter, Heath Ledger, and some guy that was in a bunch of war or western movies or something. She couldn’t remember his name, just one particular movie that he was in called American Outlaws.

“I found something pretty disturbing out about him the other day,” she said, looking up from the magazine, “He’s forty years old.”

Bianca’s eyes widened at the news, “No way,” she said, “He’s only like, twenty eight tops.”

“No, he said so himself on an interview that was on TV for Pirates of the Caribbean,” she insisted, “We’re so going to see that movie.”

“He’s not forty,” Bianca again said, not willing to accept the fact that the actor with a baby face was old enough to be her father. There was something morally disturbing about that fact. She scrunched her nose up, knowing that for some reason, the man’s age would never let her look at him in the same light again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Bye,” Abrianna whispered in to the phone, “I love you too.”

Abrianna turned off her cell phone and flipped it shut with a small smile plastered to her tanned face. She’d just gotten off the phone with Alex, her long-term boyfriend of two and a half years. She glanced at her watch thankful that it was glow in the dark, for the halls in the apartment were pitch black at that time of night. It was must past 12:00 in the morning. He wanted her to meet him at their very own special place that they had found in the beginnings of their relationship for a picnic under the stars. The problem was she and her two best friends were having a sleepover at Bianca’s, like they did every Saturday night. Alex knew it was a tradition and had been for four years. She’d tried to tell Alex that she couldn’t, and that he should have known better than to call and ask, but deep down, she wanted to be with him instead. So when Alex had insisted she leave to see him, she did not argue, telling him that she’d leave right away. Now, Abrianna had to come up with an excuse to leave Bianca’s before their night of fun began. Alex was not a good enough excuse. She knew that Darcy especially would never go for it. She bit her lip and thought for a moment for a valid excuse to get out and on the road to see her boyfriend. She smiled when she thought of something that could get her out of the sleep over. She took a deep breath and opened Bianca’s door back up and walked inside. The two girls had since changed the subject to one of college.

“I’m totally afraid that I’m going to fuck everything up,” Bianca stated, “Like, forget to schedule classes or something.”

“You’ll be fine,” Darcy assured her with a laugh, “I’ll so laugh at you if you forget to register for classes though.”

Abrianna stood in the doorway and cleared her throat loudly to get her friend attention. They looked up and she walked toward them, shaking, beginning to gather up her belongings that she’d brought.

“I’m going to have to go,” she said with a straight face, “That was my mom. There’s been a family emergency and I’m needed.” She lied.

“Oh my god,” Bianca explained, “Is everything okay?” she asked

Abrianna nodded her head, trying not to crack a smile, “She wouldn’t tell me anything. She was too upset.”

“Do you want us to go with you,” Darcy asked with concern.

Abrianna’s head whipped upward and she quickly said sharply, “NO,”

Her friends looked at her funny and she realized that she had slipped, but there was still time to fix it.

“I mean, no, it’s okay,” she recovered quickly, “Don’t cut the night short because of me. I’ll call in the morning to let you know what’s going ok, okay?”

Bianca and Darcy didn’t look convinced, but didn’t argue either.

“Alright,” Bianca said slowly, “If you’re sure…”

She felt bad letting one of her best friends leave without them when there were problems with her family, but knew that if she wanted to be alone, then that’s what was best.

“I’m going to change back into my clothes in the bathroom and then get outta here, okay?” she said.

Bianca nodded, “Sure,” she assured her, “Help yourself.”

Abrianna said goodbye to her friends and quickly left eager to get on the road and to Alex. All she wanted was to be in his arms instead of cooped up in a room just thinking about him.

“Well,” Darcy said, “The trio has been broken for the first time ever. I don’t think one of us has ever cut the night short.”

Bianca shook her head knowing that her friend was right about that, “But she can’t help that someone in her family is hurt.”

“It was probably just an excuse her mom used to get her home,” Darcy grumbled, not putting it past the woman to do something like that.

“Darce,” Bianca said, “You really need to learn to trust people. They aren’t all evil you know.”

“Whatever,” Darcy muttered, “Whenever I trust people, that’s when I get hurt. Why set myself up for that?”

Bianca sighed. Darcy always managed to make her laugh in the worst situations, but she also had a funny way of thinking. It was the way it always had been and always would be, but she and Abrianna loved their friend the way she was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Abrianna cursed as the fog continued to grow thicker and thicker with every mile she drove. She couldn’t even see the road it was so low and thick. Her heart pounded in her chest as fear overcame her. Abrianna turned her brights on in hopes that it would make it better for her to see, but it only made things worse by making the bright light reflect off of the fog and right back into her eyes. She turned the brights back off in frustration. She pulled off on the side of the road, or what she hoped to be the side of the road, and turned on the inside car light. Prying her phone out of her too small purse, she dialed Alex’s cell number and brought it to her ear, praying that he would answer. After six rings, an annoyed Alex answered.

“Hello,” he asked somewhat roughly.

“Alex?” she said unsurely because of his cold tone. Her voice was shaking with the fear of driving in the impossible to see weather. She wasn’t even sure if she were headed in the right direction still. She said again, “Alex. I don’t know how long I’ll be. The fog is really thick. I can’t see a thing.”

“You said you would hurry,” he retorted, “It’s been half an hour. It doesn’t take half an hour to drive from B’s apartment to here.”

“It does when I have to drive at ten miles an hour.” She said somewhat sassy, exaggerating just a little at how slow she was actually driving. It was more like thirty-five, but still way under the speed limit.

Abrianna could swear that she heard Alex call her something bad but realized that she probably imagined it.

“Well drive a little faster and get here,” he pressured, “The view is beautiful tonight. I just want to be with you.”

Abrianna smiled at his slightly warmer tone. He may be a little mad but he still sounded like his sweet self.

“I love you Alex,” she said.

“Love you too Abri,” he said, calling her by the nickname he’d given her, “Just hurry up and get here.”

“Kay,” she replied softly, “I’ll be there soon. Promise.”

Abrianna hung up the phone and took a deep breath before putting her white civic back into drive and pulling off the side of the road and back onto what she thought felt like paved roadway. She could do this. She’d driven in fog before. It was nothing new. She pushed on the accelerator a little bit harder and got up to speed going sixty-five miles per hour. But when she turned off to go down the long winding country road, her vision got even worse from the lack to street lights. All she had was her headlights to illuminate the road and not even those were doing a very good job.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Oh my god is he a sex god,” Darcy breathed, rolling onto her stomach, eyes fully focused on Heath Ledger.

As soon as Abrianna had left, the girls had talked for a little while before deciding to put a movie in the DVD player. Darcy had fingered through Bianca’s collection, her eyes zooming in on A Knights Tale. She pulled it out and forced it in to her friend’s hands, telling her that that was what they would be watching. Bianca didn’t protest. She thought that the recently famous actor was just as good looking. Plus, it was one of her very favorite movies. She was surprised that her friend hadn’t picked Sleepy Hollow though. That one had her newest addition to her list of obsessions.

“He’s pretty damn hot,” Bianca agreed with a smile, “And that sexy foreign accent. That does it for me. I love any man with an accent like that. It really turns me on, ya know.”

“That’s nice,” Darcy replied in monotone, making Bianca know that she really hadn’t been listening to a word that she had said.

Heath’s accent made her think of an old friend she once had and met years ago that was from England. They hadn’t talked in over a year and a half and she missed him, but had once had talked every single day for hours on end. But she was too afraid to call for fear that he would not remember her. She had tried e-mailing him, but he never replied to those. All she could think was that their friendship had never meant a thing. She sniffled, not wanting to cry over something that she could not change, or could, but too afraid to. One of these days, she was determined to get over it and just call him. But she didn’t want to wait to long. The longer she waited, the less chance there was of ever getting a hold of him again. As it was, the chances were very slim.

“What I would do to rape that man,” Darcy stated, not paying enough attention to expect an answer, “If I ever met him, I would jump on him, and strip him from head to toe right where I found him, and give him the time of his life.”

“You said that about Nick Carter too,” Bianca reminded her friend, “And Johnny and A.J. and several other men.”

And your point is?” Darcy asked, tearing her eyes away from the movie for the first time to stare at her friend, “They’re all hot and they’re all men,” she stated matter-o-factly, “You can’t rape the willing.”

“Yeah,” Bianca said with a laugh, slapping her forehead, a gesture she had picked up from Darcy, “What was I thinking.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Damnit,” she cursed, swerving off the road when another car started to come straight at her in her lane. Or was she in theirs. She didn’t know. Tears begun to form in her eyes as a feeling of dread started to form in her stomach. Why didn’t she just stay at Bianca’s house where it was safe. Abrianna quickly answered that question herself though. She wanted to be with Alex. She refused to regret leaving to see her boyfriend. It was where she wanted to be, no matter how bad it was out. Smiling, Abrianna remembered the day that Alex had asked her out. He had sent three dozen roses to her house…a dozen for each year he had been crushing on her. He hadn’t told her the meaning of them until after the dinner he had taken her to at the fancy Chinese restaurant he had taken her out to eat to. After the custom made fortune cookie had been delivered to her with the tiny piece of paper inside reading, Abrianna, would you please be my girlfriend? Tears had formed in her eyes and she of course said yes. She had liked him for a long time too. It seemed like it was only yesterday that they had started going out. Never in her wildest dreams did she ever think that it would last this long, but she was so happy that it had.
“Please let me get there soon,” she muttered to herself not wanting to be out on the road much longer. She knew that if she were too afraid to go home later, that Alex would take her and then drive her back in the morning to pick up her car.

Abrianna continued to drive, making herself go a little bit faster so that she could get to their place quicker. The dark road begun to get more and more tall trees on the sides of the road on top of the soupy fog. Abrianna knew that she should slow down, but didn’t. It was only another ten minutes until she got there. Ten more minutes until she was safely in the arms of Alex. She knew that she would make it. Abrianna squinted, thinking that she saw something move into the middle of the road, but the image disappeared all too quickly for her to know for sure. She thought nothing of it and continued to drive down the roads she couldn’t see more than three inches of in front of her. Seconds later though, the image reappeared and she gasped as she recognized it as a full-grown buck. Doing the first thing that she could think of, she jerked her car to the right, going off of the road and on the bumpy grass. She tried to break, but couldn’t kept pressing on the accelerator in all the panic. Her heart hammered in her chest as she saw an oncoming tree through the fog. She finally pressed the break but not soon enough. A shrill scream escaped Abrianna’s mouth as she brought her arms up to shield her face. The last thing she remembered was a loud crunch as the car made impact with the enormous tree, smashing the car like a tiny bug Abrianna’s body flew forward as her head hit the dashboard hard, and then everything went black.