- Text Size +
Thanks to rebecca, anita and frackandbonechick for reviewing Chapter 9. I am sorry it took so long for me to update this. I had writers block with it, but I finally got a chapter done! Thanks for your patients and enjoy 10! I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!!!

Chapter Ten

Bianca awoke the next morning to Darcy talking quietly on the hotel phone. She groggily looked at the clock, which read 6:00 in bright red numbers. They seemed to scream at her that it was time to wake up, and she knew that it was. In roughly one hour, they would be leaving to go to the next destination: Indianapolis, Indiana.

“Yeah, we’re going to be in Indianapolis for two nights now,” Darcy whispered, “Think you can make it?”

There was a pause, and as her eyes adjusted to the dark, Bianca could see Darcy shaking her head. Although it was hard to make out the expression on her face, she could tell that the girl was rather annoyed.

“We’re in Chicago right now...if you can be at the hotel in like, half an hour tops, then we’ll be here and all.”

Another pause as whoever Darcy was talking to was more than likely responding. Bianca sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. All she wanted was to fall back into a deep slumber. Her and Darcy had stayed up until three in the morning, talking about a variety of things. Darcy, though, had insomnia, and was used to surviving without much sleep. Bianca, on the other hand, was used to a good eight or nine hours of rest. Going with a mere three hours was like asking her to not breath. It was almost not possible.

“Okay, I’ll meet you in the lobby,” Darcy said dryly, “Be here, or you’ll miss your chance...you know what, I don’t wanna hear it. I so told you to come with us two nights ago, but no. I told you so, and now you pay the consequences.”

Darcy let out a low growl as she hung up the phone. She shook her head, then jumped a little, startled at seeing Bianca awake. She reached over, turning on the light next to her, deciding it was okay now. Bianca squinted at the brightness that took over the room.

“Who were you talking to?” Bianca asked with a yawn, her eyes finally adjusting to the new aptitude of light.

“Nobody important,” Darcy answered with a shrug, swinging her legs over the side of the bed and getting up, “Going to jump in the shower...you can have it next.”

“I’m just going to pull my hair up today...too fucking lazy to get in the shower,” Bianca paused, “I might fall asleep in drown.”

Darcy laughed, “Now that I would like to see accomplished,” she joked, shaking her head in bewilderment, “If you could do that, it would take
skill.”

Bianca rolled her eyes, playfully flipping her friend off. Bianca knew that she had severely blonde tendencies. She would be the first to admit it, but since she had so much fun, she didn’t let the jokes and teasing get to her.

“Seriously though,” Bianca pressed before her friend could get too far, “Who were you talking to?” she raised an eyebrow, “You aren’t calling anybody to come and mob the poor Boys, are you?” Bianca had worry in her voice. She wouldn’t put it past the small, petite blonde to do something along those lines.

“No, of course not,” Darcy replied, an evil grin spreading across her face, “Not even I would do something that horrible. Besides, I said not to worry about it.”

“You’re up to no good,” Bianca muttered, not trusting the intentions of Darcy. If she wanted to be, the girl could be downright mean. Bianca had a sinking feeling in her gut that this was definitely one of those times.

“Darcy...” Bianca warned, normally not the type to threaten, especially use the tone with Darcy, “What the hell are you up to this time?”

“I’d really like to get in the shower, you know,” Darcy said, changing the subject, “I have to be downstairs in twenty-five minutes...which means I won’t even get to blow-dry my hair...which means that it will be really frizzy.”

Bianca felt like screaming. Darcy was going to any measure possible to avoid telling her what was going on. Bianca was determined to find out though. If something was on her mind, she was not the type to let it go until she knew and was satisfied with the answer.

“Darce, just tell me who you have coming here,” Bianca asked wearily, “And the more important question being why?”

Darcy turned around, standing her ground. She felt she’d done the right thing by calling this person. They had every right to know.

“I called Alex,” she finally said, just to get Bianca off of her ass,.

Bianca’s eyes grew wide, her mouth dropping open in shock. Why had Darcy called their friend’s ex boyfriend?

“Wh...why?” she asked aloud, wanting to get an answer, “She doesn’t even remember us. She won’t remember him. Besides, I thought that we’d decided not to tell him about us finding her...that it would be for the better that way.”

Darcy shook her head, “No...we never really came to a solid conclusion. We never finished the conversation about it. Besides, what was I supposed to say when I called Alex to tell him we weren’t coming back. I mean, were we sposed to make him think that we disappeared too?”

Bianca shrugged, seeing her friends point, “True, but still...” her voice wavered slightly, her question lingering in the air, “Did you tell him that she has amnesia?”.

“Oops, I seem to have left out that detail,” Darcy stated, but it was obvious that she wasn’t dwelling on it, “Alex wanted to know why we weren’t coming back. I had to tell him. He was so excited. He wanted to see Abrianna so badly.”

“She’s Zaina now,” Bianca reminded her, shaking her head. She swallowed a lump that had formed in her throat, “I don’t think that this will end well.”

Darcy just shrugged, “Doesn’t hurt to try. Besides, if he sees how cold the girl is, and Zaina will no doubt chew him a new one, maybe he will see that it is time to move on without her. Alex is, if I don’t say so myself, quite hot. He will have no problems finding himself a new girlfriend.”

Bianca shook her head. She still didn’t think that this was a good plan, but normally, whatever Darcy said went. She chuckled lightly to herself though. This, no doubt, would be very a entertaining morning, for all. Bianca hoped that this wouldn’t jeopardize their chances to get to know Zaina again and rebuild their friendship.

Darcy disappeared into the bathroom to take her worlds quickest shower ever as Bianca just pulled out a rubber band and her comb from her purse, going over to the mirror on the dresser besides the TV. She swiftly combed her hair back, pulling it up into a high, neat ponytail, wrapping the rubber band around it tightly. She got her makeup out, applying a light coat of blush and lipstick, not even bothering to was her face and put on what she normally did. She was way too tired. Bianca’s eyelids begun to grow heavy. She needed more sleep...at least another four hours. She walked over to the bed, laying back down on it. She would only close her eyes for a moment, until Darcy was out of the shower. Then she’d go down to meet up with Alex with her. She didn’t want to miss out on the entertaining action that would take place in a few minutes. She shut her eyes, her breathing becoming slower. Without meaning to, Bianca fell into a deep sleep that she had not intended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darcy let out a frustrated sigh as she looked down at her watch. Alex was already ten minutes late. They were due to leave the hotel in twenty minutes, unless the Boys were running late as well. She doubted that they were though. If from what she predicted was true, Kevin wouldn’t hear of them falling behind. It would mess up their whole schedule. The thing was, Alex only lived twenty minutes from the hotel, which meant that he must have messed around for twenty minutes before leaving his house.

Darcy started to pace back and forth throughout the lobby, muttering many unkind things under her breath. She’d told Alex that he needed to hurry. Maybe he had decided that all of this was a cruel joke, and wasn’t coming after all. He had, after all, given up hope years ago that his beautiful Abrianna was still alive. What had made her think that a phone call saying they’d found the missing girl would convince him otherwise? She had been foolish.

Darcy turned around, about to take the silver elevator back up to her floor, to wake Bianca, who she had left sleeping, but stopped at the sound of her name being called. Darcy whipped around, facing a very eager Alex charging at her. Darcy cringed, knowing that his behavior was out of place for the ritzy hotel.

“Alex, walk,” Darcy commanded, and he actually obeyed her, slowing down and walking up to her at a quick pace, “Good boy.”

Alex let her sarcasm slide by, more intrigued by the fact that the love of his life was at that very hotel. He was moments away with being reunited with her.

“Where is she?” Alex asked, not even greeting Darcy, “Where’s Abrianna? I have to see her.” he whipped his head around from side to side in search of the girl he’d mourned for, for a little over three years.

“Not down here yet,” Darcy explained, “She will be soon though. The bus will be outside waiting to depart.”

“Bus?” Alex raised an eyebrow, “I finally found Abrianna. She isn’t getting on no bus. I’m keeping her here with me.”

Darcy laughed out loud at that one. Alex had no clue what was really going on. He hadn’t the slightest idea that he was going to see the girl for long enough to realize that she wasn’t the same person any longer.

“Hun, um, we’re all getting on that bus...including Abrianna...”

She was cut off by Bianca’s shrill voice cutting through the air, echoing around the hotel lobby. Darcy cringed. She felt like she was with a bunch of neanderthals who hadn’t a clue how to act in such a place.

“You didn’t wake me up,” Bianca accused, “Why did you leave me sleeping there?”

“You needed the sleep,” Darcy explained coyly, ‘Have you looked in the mirror at those circles under your eyes?”

Bianca scowled, knowing that she should have put on her usual daily supply of makeup to try and hide the circles that overpowered her face.
“Hello, Alex,” she greeted with a tired smile, “How are you?”

“I’d be a lot better if this woman,” he trust his hand in gesture to Darcy, “Would tell me where Abrianna was.”

Bianca bit her lip. Darcy obviously had yet to fill him in on all that had chanced. She elbowed her friend discretely in the side, hoping that it hadn’t been obvious. Darcy rolled her eyes, catching on to Bianca’s request.

“Alex, before you see her,” she said, leaving a name out, truly not knowing what to call the girl, “There is something that you should be aware of.”

Darcy was about to tell him when Zaina, or Abrianna, as Alex still knew her as, walked out of the elevator with the Boys right behind her, security tight around them. Alex turned, his eyes lighting up with recognition of the girl. He obviously saw past her makeover.

“Who the hell is that?” Zaina asked harshly, her eyes narrowing at Alex.

“She has amnesia,” Darcy finished off, knowing
that it was too late. He wasn’t even paying attention to her. His eyes were affixed upon his past girlfriend, stars in his eyes.

“Baby, it’s me...Alex,” he stated, rushing towards her, “We dated for a few years, until you disappeared.”

He tried to pull the girl in to his arms, but Zaina stepped away, her glare frosty, her eyes ice cold with unfamiliarity of the newcomer.

“I don’t know you,” Zaina told him in cold monotone, “I’ve never seen you before in my entire life.”

Confusion as well as hurt filled Alex’s eyes. He stuck out his bottom lip in a pout that, years before, had always won over Abrianna’s heart when he’d done something to make her mad. It didn’t work this time. She turned her gaze over to Bianca and Darcy.

“You brought this goon here, didn’t you?” she accused, “What...how....ARGH.” she screamed in total frustration.

“What’s going on?” Alex asked Darcy, wanting to know why the girl hadn’t a clue who he was. They’d known each other since second grade, were best friends until half way in to their sophomore year of high school, and dated throughout their senior year and through the summer leading up to college.

Before Darcy could retort with some smart-ass, unneeded comment, Bianca took Alex’s arm, pulling him aside.

“Zaina..” she began, but was cut off.

“Who’s Zaina?” Alex asked.

“Abrianna’s new name,” she explained, “She’s suffered from amnesia. She doesn’t remember a thing. Living with the Backstreet Boys is all she knows.”

It was apparent that it took a moment before Alex comprehended this news, but when he did, his face fell.

“Oh,” he stated.

“I’m sorry,” Bianca apologized, knowing that it really was not necessary, “She doesn’t remember Darce or me either.”

Alex shrugged, “So what am I supposed to do?” he asked, his eyes sad, “I...I still love her.”

“Move on,” Darcy said, coming up next to him, “She doesn’t remember you, and is over there pitching a fit over you being here, claiming you know her.”

“But I do know her,” Alex reminded the small blonde

“But she doesn’t know that,” Darcy said.

Alex let out an angry huff of air before breezing past the two girls in another attempt to convince Zaina, as they called her, that she used to be madly in love with him.

“Zaina,” he said, pulling the stiff girl in to his arms.”

“Let go of her,” a man with a goatee and sunglasses demanded, roughly shaking Alex lose of the frigid girl.

Alex sighed, knowing he’d have to speak to her from a distance. It was either that or no way at all. He had to make due with what he had.

“I love you,” he cried out, “Before you vanished on us, I was going to propose. We were going to get married. Remember?”

Zaina shook her head roughly, her eyes showing no remorse for the pleading, desperate man. She wasn’t going to let her guard down just because some guy claimed to know her.

“No, I don’t,” she told him, “None of it.”

Alex sighed, closing his eyes to keep tears from falling, “Please then, lets try again. You can get to know me again.”

“I don’t want to get to know you again,” Zaina told him.

“Please,” Alex begged.

“Leave the girl alone,” the man with the goatee demanded. It was obvious that he was one of the Boys, and protector of Zaina.

“But I...”

“I think it would be best if you left,” one of the guards told Alex, “For everybody’s sake.”

Alex was about to argue, but decided that it was no use. Zaina didn’t know him, nor did she want to. He figured that it was no use. He knew that she was alive and well. It was time for him to move on. Alex sighed in defeat, turning around with his shoulders slumped, his posture hunched over as he whispered to Bianca and Darcy that he would talk to them later as he walked out of the hotel, out of Zaina’s life, just as she had wished.

Zaina stood, her body stiff with anger at the two girls. She didn’t know how they’d had the nerve to call her so-called ex boyfriend in to the picture. Did they honestly think that it would have worked? That she would remember and she’d leave her new friends who’d helped her out so much. Who had, in a sense, helped her grow from eighteen to twenty-one? She whipped around, facing Kevin, her eyes full of anger.

“They interfered with my life,” she whispered harshly, “They interfered already, and it hasn’t even been a day.”

Kevin stared down at the petite woman. He did have to admit that since Darcy and Bianca showed up, Zaina wasn’t the same person at all. She went from fun, sweet and friendly to cold, dark and just plain mean and short-tempered.

“One month,” Kevin reminded her anyways, not about to bake down on the compromise. It would just teach Zaina that going back on her word was okay. He didn’t want to teach her the wrong way of going about life’s not so pleasant ordeals, “Just give them one month.”

“But they tried to change my..” she tried to protest.

“One month,” Kevin interrupted with a smile, standing his ground. He had a feeling that if she gave the girls a chance, she would find that they weren’t so bad after all and would go back to the girl they had known for three years.

Zaina let out an angry huff of air, glaring at the two girls, gossiping away, no doubt, ten feet before her. One month. That was all she had to put up with them for. She would be counting the days down as they came, looking forward to the day that they were gone and she could get back to her life before they’d so rudely overstepped their boundaries.