- Text Size +
Amber smiled as she welcomed Madeleine, “I am glad you made it.” She told her as she let her in. “The cakes looks delicious.”

“Well I made it from scratch,” Madeleine said smiling at her and handing her the cake. “So I heard more people were coming to the cookout.”

“Yeah,” Amber said as she looked toward the back of her house it was already full of people. All from the church she once used to attend. Even the stupid idiot of Eric was there of course she wasn’t talking to him.

“Go right out that door, I will be there in a minute,” Amber said as she walked toward the kitchen to put the cake in the fridge.

******

Alex finished his smoke as he eyed the house. It looked like it was not a good day to try and talk to her. But he had already put this for long enough it was already Saturday and he just couldn’t wait much more.

He got off his mother’s truck and began to walk toward the house. He sighed heavily as he walked up the stone steps to her door. He pushed the doorbell and waited for the answer.

He was about to push the doorbell again when he was greeted by Tommy. “Hi,” Alex said giving him a small smile. “Is she here today?”

Tommy pushed his brother in law aside and stepped out of the house closing the door. “Yeah she is,” he said rubbing the back of his neck. “But we have a gathering going on… I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to go in.”

“I really don’t care anymore I just need to talk to her.” Alex said a little agitated.

“Wait here let me see if I can get her to come out here,” Tommy said eyeing him he felt for him he looked desperate. “Just don’t make her too stressed it won’t help with her pregnancy. I know you don’t want something to happen to your baby.”

Alex froze as he heard the last words from Tommy who had now vanished back into the house. Amber was pregnant, he had heard right, right? “A baby,” Alex said smiling a little Amber was having his baby.

*******

“Amber?” Tommy said walking up to her she was talking with her new coworker and friend.

“Yes Tommy?” Amber said turning to face him.

“Could I talk to you for a sec?” Tommy said taking her hand in his pulling her gently to follow him. “It’s pretty urgent.”

“Ok,” Amber said giving Madeleine an apologetic look as she followed her young brother. “Ok seriously what’s wrong Tommy?” Amber said as they walked into the house.

“I just have something to show you but no one else can see it yet,” Tommy said facing her. “Just before I show promise no matter what you will not hate me?”

“I could never hate you Tommy, your scaring me here I thought I was the bad seed of this family.” She said trying to read her brother.

“Ok remember what you have just said,” Tommy said pulling her toward the front door. “I love you and that’s why I am doing this.” he said as he opened the front door and pulled her out with him.

“I can never forget that I love -,” Amber stopped talking when she saw Alex sitting on the steps of her house. “I take that back maybe I can dislike you a little.” She said trying to walk back into the house but Tommy blocked her. “Let me through, I have nothing to say to that man.” She pointed to Alex.

Tommy shook his head and looked at her… “Do you really want everyone in there to witness this?”

She stopped trying to push her way in and sighed turning to look at her husband. “Fine,” she said walking down the steps but we can’t talk here either they can come out. Let’s walk to the park just a couple of blocks from here. “Tell mom I went for ice or something.” Amber told Tommy who was smiling.

“I got it covered you two talk.” Tommy said giving Alex a smile too.

“Oh and I am mad at you by the way!” Amber told her brother as she began to walk toward the park not really waiting on Alex. But she could hear him right behind her.

“Hey,” Alex said reaching for her.

She stopped and turned to face him, “We need to walk fast I don’t my father to see me or you.” Amber said as she began to walk but this time Alex was right beside her.

“How did you find me?” Amber finally asked as she picked up her pace.

“Google is great in finding people.” Alex said putting his hands in his pockets. “Amber… please don’t talk to me like that. Please just let me talk.”

“Look I can talk however I want, I am mad and hurt so I talk like do!” Amber said as she finally saw the little park she went straight to the bench.

“Ok I deserve that,” Alex said as he took a seat beside her. “But, I am here now and I am willing to do whatever to show you that I am sorry.”

“Alex we can’t be like this every time you screw up you can’t just think an apology can fix it.” Amber said wiping away the tears forming on her eyes.

“I know and I have learned my lesson, you were right my father is not the man I wanted him to or thought him to be. I should’ve listened to you and I will from now on.” Alex said reaching for her hand and taking it in his hand. “You have to take me back give me another chance if not for me but for the baby.”

Amber gasped as she heard Alex, “My baby does not need anyone more but me, I am going to be its mother and father.” Amber said pulling her hand away from his grip. “Did your mother tell you?”

“No…” Alex said and bit his lip, “Tommy did before he went to look for you I guess he thought I already knew. And no you can’t take the baby away from me I am his or her father. I should know how hard it is to not have a father and I will not do that to my daughter or son.” Alex said taking her hand again.

Amber tried to pull her hand again but Alex would budge. “Please don’t make me hate you.” she said sobbing. “I don’t want to hate you Alex.”

“Then don’t,” Alex said scooting closer to her using his other hand to turn her face to face him. “I love you Amber and I am willing to do whatever to get you back. Don’t you get it? I fell in love with you Amber Danielle Walker. No other girl has been able to do what you have, I know I am screw up most of the time but I will work hard on it.”

Amber shook her head, “It’s not easy Alex. I saw and felt the pain of someone cheating on you.”

“I did not cheat on you… I swear Simone came on to me that day you saw me kissing her. I also found out it was a scheme she and Robert were using to separate us.” Alex said as his thumb wiped away a tear rolling down her cheek. “I am here now and I want you to come with me… we are going to live like a normal married couple. Then when our son or daughter is born we can travel again. I can by a big RV to drive around the US.”

Amber chuckled a little as she heard him, “I don’t know if I can just forget.” She said looking away from him only to have him pull her face back so she was seeing him.

“You love me?” he asked her as he leaned into her. “Do you love me? Do you still love me?”

Amber could not bring herself to say no because she knew that would be a lie. “Yes,” she said in an almost whisper. “Yes I love you.”

Alex smiled and pressed his lips to hers. “That’s all that matters baby. I love you and there is nothing that is going to separate me from you now or ever.” He said before taking her lips again.

Amber didn’t try to push him away because it just felt so right to be in his arms. His lips kissing hers. “ok.” She managed to say before loosing herself in his embrace and his kiss. She just hoped she did not regret this later.