- Text Size +
“How is she?” Howie asked as he and his parents made it to the hospital.

“We don’t know yet, she is being seen by a doctor,” Alex said as he wiped his hand over his face to keep from showing how much he wanted to cry. He was worried for her health maybe all these problems between them were really affecting her. But yet then why did it sometimes feel like they were really getting along like she wanted to anyway?

“Alex what exactly happened?” he heard his still mother in law ask. He just shrugged as he gave a short version of the talk that they had had at the beach of course not mentioning the making out session.

*********

“I’m fine can I please go?” Trisha asked as she tried to stand up only to get hit by vertigo. “Ok maybe I should lay back down.” she said just in time to see her doctor come back with what she assumed were her test results.

“Well welcome back Mrs. McLean, you've been unconscious for while.” Dr. Wallace said as he took a seat beside her.

“Well actually you can start calling me Ms. Dorough please. I am going through a divorce,” she told her doctor as she took a deep sigh.

“Well then we have a problem,” Dr. Wallace said as he looked down at folder he held in his hand. “Ms. Dorough you’re in your third trimester of pregnancy. I don’t know if I should congratulate you or not?”

Trish looked baffled and began to laugh nervously, “No I can’t be pregnant I mean I haven’t been with any-,” she paused as she remembered her one slip with Alex right after there split. “Oh my god,” she whispered as she remembered.

“Now I want you to start on your prenatal vitamins and I need you to start your appointments with your regular doctor. You didn't notice any changes with in you?” he asked as he wrote on her folder.

“I didn’t really, I guess I’ve been to busy worrying about other stuff. Uh, Doctor could I ask of you to not mention this to any of my family. I want to tell them… just not yet.” She said as began to dread how she was going to tell her parents or even if she was going to tell them. Alex was out of the question right? Maybe moving to New York would work out perfect after all. She wasn’t showing yet so she could definitely hide her pregnancy.

Dr. Wallace smiled and nodded; “Now you are a little anemic so I want to start you on some iron pills as well. Remember now you are eating for two,”

********

“How is she,” Howie asked as he finally saw a nurse come up to them.

“She’s fine and she will see Howie?” she said as she looked at everyone around.

“That’s me,” Howie said smiling as he realized out everyone else she asked for him to be first to be with her.

He followed the nurse and finally he couldn’t take it anymore, “I know you said she was fine but what was wrong with her?” he asked the nurse.

“Well sir she fainted because of stress and not eating properly.” The nurse as she kept the rest of the diagnosis a secret like the patient had asked.

“I need to start making sure she relaxes and eats well then,” Howie said as they finally made it to her room. “hey,” Howie said as he ran to her bed hugging her. “You scared the living hell out of all of us.”

“Sorry,” Trish said trying not to let any hint of her hiding something be shown in her face. Howie could read her well. “I just have to take better care of myself,” she told him. “Good news is that I get to home tonight,” she smiled.

“Mom and dad are here too,” Howie said as he kissed her cheek. “I should let them come see you… you should also see Alex and Denise they are here too and they were the ones to call the ambulance.”

“I know I just feel awkward… but I know and I will see them. I have to thank them.” She said in a pensive way.

“Ok well let me get mom and dad,” he said as he left her room.

********

“How are you doing?” Howie asked he took a seat next to Alex.

“I feel like shit and I don’t want to worry anyone but my side is killing me. I think I hurt my fractured rib when I ran to Trish’s side. I guess the adrenaline didn’t let me feel it till now,” he said as he tried to smile.

“Thank you for that, she will see you your next she said,” Howie said.

“So she’s been stressed to the verge of fainting?” Alex asked him not really believing that.

“That’s what the doctor said,” Howie said also feeling there was more to her illness. “Maybe you should go home and rest you are in pain”

“I want to see her first.” Alex said in a matter fact tone. “I want to see for myself that she is doing well. She’s been here for me during my ordeal so now I want to be here for her. Like good friends,” he said sarcastically at the last part.

********

Finally he was allowed to go in, he was in crutches but he made it to her room, “Hey...” he whispered.

Trish gave him a weak smile, “I'm sorry for this I bet you hurt yourself trying to help me,” she padded a spot on her bed for him to sit in. “Thank you,” she told him as he took a seat.

“No I am just being here for you like you have been for me,” as he took her hand and kissed it. “So why are so stressed, you know you don’t have to move to New York and if being near me even as a friend is causing more stress on you… well I have to ask you stop coming over to read me New Moon.”

She smiled a little, “No your fine it’s just you know me I worry for everything.”

“I am here for anything you know that right?” Alex asked as he took her face with his hand to make her turn to look at him. She was avoiding his stare today and it was probably from the kiss they had shared before she fainted.

“Yeah I know,” she told him clearing her throat. “I really think New York will suit me you know I think I really am going to take that job. I need to find something new…”

Alex swallowed the lump that formed in his throat as he heard her decision, “I will always be a call away then and of course you’ll have to fly back for our court date.”

“I say we split one dog for each?” she asked arching her brow.

“Uhuh don’t make me get mad right now Trish we both really can’t afford to be angry right now. You could just let me keep them both and you could have visitation rights. Besides they love the beach and the sun… I don’t think they’ll like New York.”

*********

“Chels,” Trish said as she hugged her friend.

“I was worried sick I was about to drive to the hospital but Howie told me you had been dismissed and on your way here,” she told Trish. “Hello Howie,” she greeted Howie.

“Hey, now she insisted on staying with you and assured me you would take great care of her. She wouldn’t even let me get her prescriptions for her.” Howie told Chelsea who listened intently.

“I will don’t worry go to work if not I know your parents number.” She smiled at Howie who hesitantly kissed his sister’s forehead.

“If you need anything call me.”

“I will now go!” Trish said giving him a weak push. As soon as she was sure he was out of earshot she broke down in tears. “Chels what I am going to do?”

“Why what’s wrong Trish?” Chelsea asked alarmed.

“My illness very normal when you’re pregnant…” she in between sobs she waited for Chelsea to finally understand what she had just said.

Chelsea sighed in surprise, “Oh my? You’re pregnant how far?” she asked her.

Trish just handed her the papers she so much had hidden from Howie as he drove to her apartment. She saw as Chelsea read how far along she was and make calculations. “Its Alex’s baby isn’t its from when you know... after you had left him?” she asked still counting she assumed.

Trish only nodded and began to sob again. “I can’t tell him or should I? This is only going get our divorce into a bigger mess. I can’t believe I did not notice the changes the little pounds I thought I had gained. The dizzy spells but yet no morning sickness.”

“Wow…” Chelsea said as she plopped beside her friend still trying to let it all sink in…

“Yeah… wow.” Trish said as she put her hand on her still not noticeable bump. It was still a joyful thing she had always wanted at least one kid and it was Alex's.
Chapter End Notes:
Ok hope you like the surprise...hehe.. please review.