- Text Size +
“I really am glad you came, see you enjoyed yourself.” Josh said smiling at his new friend.

“I did and your professor wow…talk about wise.” Trish said as the walked down the sidewalk after exiting Purple Haze.

“Yeah he’s pretty good,” Josh said as he looked ahead to the bench in the park just a few steps further. “Do you want to sit and talk some more about Austen?”

“Why not?” she said as she also saw the bench. “So I have to ask this what about Shakespeare?”

“Total Genius,” Josh said laughing. “Love his plays… he knew how to express love at its purest. I mean take Romeo and Juliet amongst others of course.” They reached the bench by then and both took a seat.

“So Josh besides college what else do you do?” Trish asked as she looked at the people walk by.

“I play soccer, centerfield.” Josh answered happy to know Trish was interested in knowing more about him. “So what do you do?”

“Well I push a lot papers for INS and I love to ballroom dance. I know it sounds corny but it really is nice, Alex and I actually took lessons and…” she stopped when she realized she had mentioned Alex. “Sorry, let’s just say I now know how to dance well. I hate the color Pink and bananas. What about you Josh what do you dislike?”

Josh sighed heavily as he listened to her, “Well I hate kiwis and I don’t know why I just don’t like the color orange. So can I be forward and ask how is your divorce going? I mean you were pretty vehemently in stating that at Ceasario’s when you know.”

Trish knew she was blushing; it had been a while since she went on a date with someone aside from Alex. “Good he actually agreed to give me the divorce. We are to see each other with our lawyers and settle our other stuff. You know who keeps the house, the dogs, and cars. You get the picture.”

“Yeah I know my mother went through all that recently when she divorced my third stepfather.” He said emphasizing his comment with three fingers flashing at her.

“Wow that’s a lot,” she giggled a little. “Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude,” she said.

“No its ok I tell her all the time, I mean she is thirty nine she should settle you know. Maybe she should stop trying and just admit she should be single. I still think she is hung on dad, but dad had to move on to someone younger.” Josh shrugged and then cleared his throat. “Want to go grab a bite? I know this great Mexican place the best Carne Asada ever.”

“That sounds good I haven’t had Mexican in a while,” Trish said smiling at him. He was such a good boy and suddenly she felt guilty going out with him, his mother was only nine years older than her. But at least for tonight she would pretend to not notice the age difference, he was her first attempt at dating.

*********

“Yes Mark put it on the market,” Alex told his lawyer as he sat in his office. “I want to sell it if I do get divorced then we’ll split the profit. I am actually thinking of moving maybe to smaller house near the beach,” he smiled as he remembered talking to Trish about a vacation house near the beach in Malibu or Florida.

“Fine I’ll get to work on that, so will you be going with me to see her lawyer to discuss all this?” Mark asked his friend and client.

“Yeah totally I want to see Tony’s lame attempts to woo my wife and I have to admit I want to see her again. Remember I want you to take the longest route to getting me divorced because I tend to stay married.” Alex told his friend.

“Can I ask you something Alex?” Mark said as he stopped what he was doing and faced him. “Why are you going through all this trouble? I mean it’s apparent she is over you.”

“She’s not she is just over our lame attempts at reconciliation. But this time I am going to prove to her I am made for her.” Alex said seriously.

“Well I hope it works man, don’t forget three days from today at Zullos building for the meeting it starts at ten be punctual.”

“Yeah I will be there thanks again man,” Alex said shaking his friends hand before walking out.

********

“So remind me again why you brought Rodgers with you to our lunch?” Alex asked Nick as they watched her disappear into the ladies room.

“She was asking about you, I thought maybe she could help with your plan. I mean imagine the face Trish will make if she saw you with her?” Nick giggled at the thought.

“Your pathetic Nick, I should kill you. Rodgers is a bad idea and I don’t need your help in that department!” Alex said taking a drink from his coke.

“Ok I’m back,” Karen said taking a seat next to Nick. “So McLean I heard about the divorce. I’m sorry to hear about it, Trish is a really nice girl.”

“Yeah she is and I still love her very much.” Alex said giving her a sincere smile, “I loathe myself for being an asshole to her.”

“Poor guy maybe it was fate stepping in and its trying to tell you to move on. I know I enjoyed our time together very much in fact I haven’t been able to forget it,” Karen said biting her lip. “When Nick here told me about your misfortune I just had to talk you.”

“Misfortune indeed,” Alex said glaring at Nick. “I didn’t know you and Nick were that close on such short time being partners. But I really don’t need any consoling Karen, I am perfectly fine.” With that Alex got his wallet out and laid a fifty dollar bill on the table, “Well I really have to go… but it was nice seeing you again Karen. Hopefully you can find someone you can help you forget.” With that Alex walked out of the restaurant. The nerve of Nick he thought as he drove away.

********

“I don’t know what to do Chelsea,” Trish said as she ignored Josh’s call for the fifth time that day. “It’s only 8:30 for crying out loud I have to admit going out with Josh was a bad idea. He is only a little boy…” Trish said as she walked into the kitchen where friend was fixing breakfast.

“I am not giving my opinion anymore… it’s your life your choice. I think you should just answer him and tell your not interested him like that. Damn there I go giving my opinion scratch that and just change your number!” Chelsea said in annoyance her friend had been blubbering about that Josh kid for over three days since her date with him.

“I guess your right but right now I have to get ready to go see my lawyer and my pathetic soon to be ex-husband.” She said as she took a bite of an apple.

“You know you didn’t even sound insulting when you said that… I think you’re having second thoughts.” Chelsea said giving her friend a sly smile. “Maybe all you need is a one nightstand with a stranger before forgiving your husband.”

Trish glared at her friend, “I am going to ignore your last suggestion just because I know you didn’t mean it… I think the person that needs to get laid is you. I have an idea…” Trish said now smiling a little at her brilliant idea, “Howie maybe be able to help you that.” she winked at Chelsea as she walked away to get her purse. “But we’ll talk more when I come back about that,” she yelled before she exited the apartment.”

She had just turned on her car when her phone rang and she felt relieved when she realized it was Howie. “Good morning bubba,” she said.

“Ah, don’t call me that anymore,” Howie said as he heard his sister’s voice. “So I was wondering if you wanted me to go with you today. I can if you want.”

“Awe, no thanks hon I have to do this on my own. I can’t always rely on you what will happen when you settle down with a wife and all? I have to learn to do this alone you rest I know you had a rough night protecting my city.” Trish said nervously wishing he would still offer to come with her.
Howie giggled to choke his real comment, “Your silly you know, we live in a city where being is single is the new thing!”

“Right well sorry but we are so on to you!! Polly and I will make sure you don’t stay single for to long! But anyways I have to go… talk to you later love you.” with that she hung up on him before he could find a smart remark to say.

**********

“Fuck!” Alex said as he waited for the light turn red. “I can’t be late!” he said as he sighed in relief when the light turned green. Finally he could see the building and sighed when he saw he had five minutes to get there.

He quickly parked and ran into the building smiling when he saw Mark already there waiting for him, “Sorry traffic,” he said.

“You really need to find a better excuse,” Mark said patting him on the arm, “let’s go we have three minutes,” he then walked into the vacant elevator.

“I am nervous is that normal?” Alex asked.

“I would if I am about to split my stuff with my ex,” Mark said looking at his watch. “But then again I don’t understand why you should if you say you still love her!”

“I don’t think I am nervous about this meeting. I am nervous because I am going to see her today and I won’t be able to touch her.” Alex said just at the doors to the elevator opened and they walked to the lobby of Zullos & Zullos.

“Good morning Miss,” Mark said as he approached the receptionist. “We are her for a meeting with Tony Zullos and Patricia McLean.”

“Right they have been waiting for you,” the receptionist said as she stood up. “Follow me this way please.”

“Thank you,” Mark told the receptionist as they walked into the conference room where Trish and Tony sat waiting patiently.

“Just in time,” Tony said standing up and going up to shake Mark’s and Alex’s hand. “Alex long time no see… you look good. I didn’t get to say hello at Trish’s party you left pretty quick.”

Alex cleared his throat and put on his best smile, “Nice to see you again Tony.” He didn’t want to be rude and say something hurtful to him. He was trying to show he was ok with all this. “Trish,” he gave her smile and a nod.

“Hey Mark...” Trish said as she hugged Mark. She knew Mark he had actually been a groomsmen at her wedding. “Alex,” she finally said only giving him a glance.

“Ok well let’s get this started,” Tony said as he took a seat again and began to take out paperwork.

“To my knowledge both parties are agreeing to clean fifty fifty split of there belongings,” Mark said as he and Alex took a seat as well.

“Well then that should be fine but what about the dogs? I believe my client wants to keep them.” Tony said looking up from his paper work.

“No I don’t think so I had those dogs even before we got married those are mine.” Alex said surprised by her request.

“But for the past two years they’ve seen more of me than you. I bet if I go to the house and get them they will gladly come with me!” Trish said as she got a agitated by Alex. “I think I deserve to keep them. They feel just as abandoned as I did from you…”

“I am not giving them up that’s all I am not willing to give into.” Alex said looking straight at his wife. “You’re just trying to fuck with me!”

“Excuse me? No I am not I love those dogs as much as you! You won’t take care of them as I would!” Trish said standing up and leaning toward him.

Alex only smirked, “Sorry Trish I am not going to give them to you… if we have to go to court we will.”