- Text Size +
Leighanne laid on her bed just staring at her wedding band; she still didn’t have the guts to take it off. “What should I do?” she asked herself as she twisted her wedding band around her finger. By then she was crying tears streaming down her face, she was in agony trying to be reasonable yet not be too angry to not see the right path to this whole situation.

“Mommy?” Baylee said as he walked into the room that was once shared by both his parents. “I can’t sleep,” he said as he rubbed his eyes. He gave her a lopsided smile as he struggled to climb up the bed.

“What’s wrong sweetie?” she asked him as she helped him up the bed. The first thing she did was make sure he had no fever.

“Why are you crying mommy?” he asked her kissing her cheek and wiping her tear stained cheeks.

“It’s nothing sweetie, how about I tell you a bedtime story? You can sleep with me if you want…” Leighanne told him as she realized just how much her son resembled the man she loved.

“I don’t want to sleep…are you crying because of daddy? Is it cause of what I told you about him and Josie?” Baylee asked with a curious face looking straight at his mother.

“Baylee you did nothing wrong ok? Now why can’t you sleep.” She asked him as she pulled him close to her.

“Mommy was daddy here?” he asked as he began to play with her hair a habit he had.

“Yes, he went up to give you a kiss good night earlier when you were asleep.” Leighanne said holding her tears from starting to come out again.

“Why did he not stay here? Is he back with my uncles on tour? Cause I wanted to play with him basketball…” the little boy said.

“Well he will come back tomorrow morning before he goes back on tour baby. He went to stay at a hotel,” Leighanne said realizing there was no way out of telling her son the situation between her and his father.

“Why is he at a hotel mommy?” Baylee asked as he pulled away from his mother’s arms and sat up staring straight at her.

“Well sweetie daddy and I are not getting along at the moment. But we are working on it,” she told him reaching for him and kissing his forehead.

“You know mommy I think you’re crying because you miss daddy. You always tell me forgive and forget why can’t you and daddy do that?” Baylee told his mother crossing his little arms yet giving her a smirk.

Leighanne had to laugh at her sons advice, “You’re too wise for you age Baylee,” she told him messing with his curls. “But sometimes big people have bigger problems honey that sometimes can’t be forgiven and forgotten. But that my dear you will learn about when you’re older.”

“Mommy I didn’t tell you something that day because you started to cry remember?” Baylee said as he sat on his mom’s lap.
“I’m sorry about that honey…” she told him. “You can tell me now,” she told him expecting the worse.

“Daddy was mad at Josie and he pushed her hard, like this!” Baylee said and demonstrated it to his mother. “That’s why I got mad at daddy cause he never got like that before it was scary. I didn’t like what Josie said it mommy…”

Leighanne stared at her son and his expressive way of telling her what had occurred, “Thanks sweetie for telling me the rest.” She smiled at him and then it her…”Why do we go get daddy? He can sleep with you and that you can have breakfast with him.” Maybe she too could talk him now that she realized that just maybe Brian was being honest all along. But that still didn’t make him innocent he had kissed her. Just maybe there was a chance.

“Yeah mommy lets go, I can show him my new book too.” Baylee said excited.

“Ok let’s go,” Leighanne said with a new ray hope in her heart. Maybe her marriage could be saved.

********

“If I had any respect for you Josie, it’s been way lost. I don’t want to see you, I love Leighanne…” Brian said as he pulled Josie from him and shook her.

“Please Brian; your marriage is long gone. I deserve you…you were so nice to me and it felt so good. You seduced me and then you throw me out!” she said suddenly her tears turning to anger.

“I seduced you? Now that’s funny…I did no such thing it was on the contrary now that I remember they way you looked at me. But Josie let me clue you in; no one can get me to leave Leighanne. My marriage is going to rough patch because of you but…we are going to get through it. Now I want you out! Or I will call management and pursue legal actions against you. God Josie why can’t you for once try to do the right thing. You don’t have to be this tough woman, if you showed other men what you tried to show me before you became…malevolent maybe you could find someone. There are plenty of men out there that have same or even better qualities than me,” Brian said in frustration.

Josie looked down and for a second felt guilty… “I can never be good as Leighanne I was born and brought up this way. When I want something I fight for it and usually I succeed.”

“Well then I think you should go and get used to the idea that this time you didn’t get it your way. It saddens me to know this, when you are capable of being very nice.” Brian told Josie as he walked to the door after hearing the knock. “My food is here, Josie please go and never come near me or my family. It’s best that way,” Brian said as he opened the door. “Thank you,” he told the man that had brought up his food this looks good. He gave him a tip and then turned to Josie. “Well?” he said still holding the door open for her.

“No,” Josie said. “Please Brian… I love you!”

“I don’t love you though! So go I will call security…” he said grabbing the phone.

“No…fine but when Leighanne doesn’t forgive you don’t come crawling to me! I would have given you everything…” she said as she wiped away her tears.

Brian smiled inside as he finally heard her agree he gladly opened the door from his hotel and to his horror there stood Leighanne with Baylee by her side. “Daddy!” Baylee said reaching for him.

“Leighanne before you think the worst you have –,” he stopped talking when he saw Leighanne’s face change from a smile to one of anger.

“Oh hey Baylee,” Josie said in a cheerful way as she walked up behind Brian wrapping her arm around him only to have Brian push it away.

Leighanne sighed and counted to ten to keep her cool in front of her son. “I think we came in a bad time sweetie daddy is busy. I wouldn’t bother going by tomorrow Brian we won’t be there,” Leighanne said as she began to walk away.

“No, Leighanne wait…” Brian screamed as he began to follow her but not before turning around and giving Josie a piece of his mind. “Josie you better not be in my room when I come back because I will not respond in a nice way. Leave before I change my mind and…” he balled his hand into a fist and then turned back to following Leighanne.

Leighanne was running back to her car not wanting to be seen crying, “No!” Leighanne responded to Brian’s plea to stop. Finally she saw her car, quickly unlocked it and put Baylee in his seat giving Brian enough time to catch up.

“Leighanne its not what your thinking…please.” Brian said as he stopped talking to get some air.

“No Brian I’ve seen enough…I was such a fool to think that maybe you really didn’t love but this just proves I was right.” Leighanne said as she opened the driver’s side, turned on the ignition and sped away.

********

Brian walked back to his room not caring if anyone saw his tears. He sighed in relief when he saw that Josie was not there grabbing his cell phone he dialed the oh so familiar number… “Howie I messed up again.”