- Text Size +
“What? Whatever Richard…Just leave me the fuck alone.” Josie screamed into her phone, slamming it shut. “Why can’t they blame someone else I wasn’t even there!” she said to no one just to herself.

“Oh man someone seems to be a little mad.” Brian said as he looked at her with a little concern it seem like she was now crying.

“I’m sorry,” Josie said as she wiped her eyes. “I didn’t know someone was here yet.”

“Are you ok?” he asked as he handed her a paper towel. She looked like she was in pain emotional pain. She looked confused and lost for moment; he couldn’t leave her like that.

“Yeah,” she said trying to hold her tears in. finally she couldn’t and again began to cry.

“Uhm, well it seems to me that your not,” Brian said as he got closer to her. “Want to talk? I am good listener and I have been told once or twice that I can give good advice.”

Josie looked up from staring to the ground; his soft expression told her he could trust him. “I guess but I need a smoke, do you mind. I am going outside of course.”

“Yeah ok I can go with you…” he said as he followed her to the exit. He watched her nervously try to light the lighter yet her shaking hands wouldn’t allow her to. “Here let me try…” he quickly lighted it.

“Thanks,” she told him as she lit her cigarette. “I haven’t had one of these in a while but, today I just need it.” She told him as she exhaled the smoke. “I’m sorry for this I just…how can I say this? I’m not having a good day. My brother just called me to ruin my day. I am so mad right now I can kill him! Not that would seriously,” she told him as she saw the look on Brian’s face.

“It’s cool I know how siblings can be, not that I would ever think of killing any of mine…we really only fought for stupid things like toys.” Brian told Josie as she continued to smoke. “But it will fine right? Whatever you two were talking about?”

“Yeah my mother will be fine, she only gets sick when she wants to screw with me,” Josie said as she flicked the cigarette butt into the pavement stepping on it to make sure it was off.

He watched hypnotized to the way she had thrown her cigarette butt, he had seen AJ do that a thousands times but somehow the way Josie did it made it attractive. “Wow so I guess that means your mom and you don’t get along huh?”

“No we get along when we don’t see each other I mean, I love her though. But I love my dad the most because he is my stepdad so technically he isn’t family to me. He is more like the peace maker in the family. I don’t see him much though because that means I would have to see my mother.” Josie said as she turned to face the man that stood beside her. “Thanks for caring about my state of mind, I appreciate it.”

“Oh hey no problem, any time you need to talk just look for me or Leighanne. We love to listen and give bear hugs when someone is in need.” He smiled at Josie who was now calmer and her eyes were clearing.

“Yeah Leighanne is a lucky woman. You all are wonderful even my new admirer Baylee…” she giggled as she remembered the conversation with Leighanne the night before.

“Oh I see Leighanne already told you,” he said his face lighting up with the mention of his son.

“Yeah, well we should go back in I still have to finish what I was doing.” Josie said as she opened the door they had come out of, she knew it was best for her to go back in. if not she was afraid of what she might do; Brian was definitely doing something to her.

Once inside Brian turned to her and smiled, “Well I had come to find you for a reason, Leighanne and Baylee would love to have you join us for lunch later today. Oh and me too of course,” he said after he saw Josie’s look.

“Thanks I’d love too…” she said smiling at him and without caring wrapped her arms around his neck.

He was caught off guard as he felt her arms around his neck. “Its no problem,” he said as he returned the hug quickly pulling away. What was that? What had he felt? “Well I must go; I have to go find…Nick. See you later.”

“Ok…later,” she told Brian as she watched him disappear. “Not good,” she whispered to herself as she went back to her work.