Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Anyone reading books lately...  (Read 25053 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Anyone reading books lately...
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »

Hello...I tried looking to see if anyone had already started a thread of this sort but I didn't see anything. I just wanted to know a couple of things about everyone...if you want to answer.

1) Is anybody reading anything else other than fan fiction?

2) If so, what authors or books could you reccomend?

and 3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?

Ok so there it is.

I guess I'll answer my own questions first...

1) I'm definately taking turns reading fan fiction and books.

2) Right now I'm hooked on Twilight and I am excited cause I just got the last of the series Breaking Dawn. I also just read random books...

3) I get ideas of real life situations, books I read and movies I ee and try giving them a twist don't know how it works out for the readers...haha :P

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Anyone reading books lately...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »

1) I tend to read books more so than fanfiction.

2) I have been on a huge Jodi Piquolt kick lately although i'm not enjoying the one i'm reading right now which is called Mercy. I'd recommend Ninteen Minutes and Change of Heart. They were excellent!

3) Sometimes and idea just pops in my head and I go for it. Other times, someone gives me a great idea.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:34:26 AM »

I mostly read updates to my fave stories in FF, otherwise, I read books. 

I am curently reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich...su per easy reads.  I am on Four to Score, I can read one on a long flight round trip or in a about a day.  I really like the female lead, she is hysterical.  I also read books that are sort of self-helpish, the last one of those that I read was The Mystery of Marriage.  I got sidetracked by the Stephanie Plum, but next in my que are The Kite Runner and Angels & Demons.  Everyone keeps telling me I need to check out Twilight, I am usually not into that kind of stuff, though.

3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?
Lots of things...mostl y my experiences, my friends experiences... the premise behind Casual is based loosely on my single self before I got married, but obviously a little more extreme.  Songs give me ideas...lots of things give me inspiration, things people say, etc.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »

Definitely!  I actually haven't read much fanfiction lately, besides the rare updates on the stories I'm following.  I have read a lot of "real books" though.

I am also just finishing up "Breaking Dawn," the last of the Twilight Saga.  I've plowed through all four of those books in the last three weeks or so - so good!  I didn't think I would get so into the whole vampire thing, but I gave the first book a chance because so many people had raved about it, and it hooked me too!

Over the summer, I read "North and South" by John Jakes, which is an older book, but I have always wanted to read it because I love the TV miniseries of it.  It's about the friendship of a Northern man and a Southern man in the time leading up to the Civil War.  It's very good, tons of stuff going on.

I also reread the last two Harry Potter books... if anyone hasn't given HP a chance, you should!!!

3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?
Anything and everything!  My latest collaborated project with Rose and Dee spawned from a joke made when we were chatting late one night.  Other stories I've written recently or plan to write have been inspired by other stories, books, or songs.  I have a new idea for an original fic that was inspired by my own imagination when I was little... a pretending game I used to play with my sister.  I realized that kids can way more creative than we are as adults, so I tried to channel some of that childhood fantasy into a story idea.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »

Everyone keeps telling me I need to check out Twilight, I am usually not into that kind of stuff, though.

What I liked about Twilight was that the main character is just a typical high-school girl, and the vampires are not the traditional cliches.  If you are a romance person, I think you will like it.  There's also suspense and all that good stuff too, but the romantic part is my favorite.

I think vampires are cool; I've always loved all the "scary stuff"... but I had never really gotten into reading vampire fiction, aside from the R.L. Stine books when I was little... and "Salem's Lot."  So I was kind of hesitant about Twilight too.  But it's so different from what I think of as the typical vampire genre that I think you will like it even if you're not normally into that stuff.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »

1) I tend to read books more so than fanfiction.

2) I have been on a huge Jodi Piquolt kick lately although i'm not enjoying the one i'm reading right now which is called Mercy. I'd recommend Ninteen Minutes and Change of Heart. They were excellent!

3) Sometimes and idea just pops in my head and I go for it. Other times, someone gives me a great idea.

I'm on a Jodi Picoult kick lately as well....Right now I am on Nineteen Minutes, just finished the Pact, before that was Perfect Match, Picture Perfect,salem Falls, Nineteen Minutes...and I have Plain Truth and Change of Heart lined up.

I havent read anything BUT Jodi Picoult in over 2 years...lol.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

1) I definitely read more books than fanfic... I enjoy the fanfic when I'm just looking for a quick read and novels for me are a "kick back and relax under a cozy blankey" sort of thing.

2)  Right now I'm reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (which I love because I know a lot about the world of Childhood cancer).  I'm also a huge fan of Boy's Life by Robert McCammon, The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

3)  Most often the ideas for my fanfics come from personal experiences and the personal experiences of those individuals around me.  Other times, like Mare said, ideas just pop into my head and I run with them.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 01:07:12 PM »

1) Is anybody reading anything else other than fan fiction? I'm reading Candide and Richard III for school, does that count? I don't have time to read anything long and substansial outside of school. lol

2) If so, what authors or books could you reccomend? Well, my favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. :)

and 3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction? Mostly stuff from real life or an idea that sounds cool, but needs tweaking or something...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »

What I liked about Twilight was that the main character is just a typical high-school girl, and the vampires are not the traditional cliches.  If you are a romance person, I think you will like it.  There's also suspense and all that good stuff too, but the romantic part is my favorite.

I think vampires are cool; I've always loved all the "scary stuff"... but I had never really gotten into reading vampire fiction, aside from the R.L. Stine books when I was little... and "Salem's Lot."  So I was kind of hesitant about Twilight too.  But it's so different from what I think of as the typical vampire genre that I think you will like it even if you're not normally into that stuff.

I may have to check it out then :)

I haven't read any Jodi Picoult...what are some of her titles that you guys recommend?

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »

can I just say how excited I am that you guys are finally jumping on the Twilight bandwagon?!?!?!  YAY! seriously. And when you finish Breaking Dawn, you have to give The Host a shot. That's Stephenie Meyer's first non Twilight series book. Seriously excellent! I think I liked it better than Twilight. *gasp* I know I didn't know that was possible, but it's amazing.

I'm also reading A ton of Young Adult novels. My favorite Author seems to be Meg Cabot. The Mediator Series, and the 1-800-Where-Are-You series and Avalon High are among my favorites there. THey all have a supernatural element to them and a bit of romance as well.

Also Sarah Dessin Is really good too. Her stories are more about real issues and seem a bit more dramatic. So if you like drama/coming of age stories you'd probably love her. This Lullaby is my favorite of hers so far.

Oh, and I read a really fun one a while back called, Audry, Wait! by Robin Bennway. If you love music you'll have fun with this book.

I just started one called Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, and I picked up Boy Toy by Barry Lyga as well. I'll let you know if those are any good.

As for Fan fics? I haven't really read much lately. I think when my writing preference switched to original fiction, my reading taste did as well. But I did read one recently, a Nick AU called My Mind's Eye by your_ill_july. That one was good. I wish she'd update, though.

Where do I get Ideas? I have no idea how to answer that question. I get them from all over the place. Sometimes from songs, sometimes from things I see on movies/tv, sometimes from reading, sometimes from conversations I have with people, sometimes from things that happen to me in life, sometimes from dreams... I get ideas all the time. They always start out as some real basic idea, a random thought. I never just get an idea for an entire story. I think of like one event or situation that sounds cool and then I have a brain storming session with myself and just let my mind run wild.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:17:53 PM by honey »
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »

Yes, I'm reading a lot of books other than fan fiction and of course some Us weekly.

Twilight and any other book by Stephanie Myers. Also, I recommend She said yes, The boyfriend, Anything by Lois Duncan if you like mystery and suspense.

and 3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?
What ever pops into my head, lol!
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »

I'm on a Jodi Picoult kick lately as well....Right now I am on Nineteen Minutes, just finished the Pact, before that was Perfect Match, Picture Perfect,salem Falls, Nineteen Minutes...and I have Plain Truth and Change of Heart lined up.

I havent read anything BUT Jodi Picoult in over 2 years...lol.

I want to read the Pact. I just bought My Sister's Keeper and am looking forward to reading that one. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »

Am I the only one that couldn't get into the Twilight Series? I tried at least. lol

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »

Can someone please explain this Twilight thing to me that everyone's always talking about? I'm always looking for a good read. LoL. I hate feeling left out of the loop.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »

Am I the only one that couldn't get into the Twilight Series? I tried at least. lol

I haven't tried to read it yet, lol.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10