Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Anyone reading books lately...  (Read 25155 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Anyone reading books lately...
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »

I usually find that if I read the book before I see the movie, I think the book is better, even if I also like the movie (Harry Potter, My Sister's Keeper, Twilight, most Stephen King books).  If I see the movie first and then read the book, though, I am more likely to say I like them equally or even like the movie better (The Notebook, The Shining, Jurassic Park, Frankenstein).  Apparently I am usually loyal to whatever I experience first LOL.  Usually I think books are better too, though.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »

I have been trying to finish off the Harry Potter books before the last movie. I'm currently in the middle of GOF and so far the books have been way better than the movies, for me anyway. Except for GOF which I feel like just dragged on. Maybe because of all the quidditch stuff. I feel like the visual quidditch is better than reading about it. I'll be curious to see how I feel concerning the last movie to the last book since it will be the first time i'll be seeing the movie AFTER reading the book.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »

The beginning of GoF is slow compared to the other books; it just takes so much longer to get to Hogwarts than usual.  It gets better, though, trust me!!  GoF was my favorite Harry Potter book for a long time, basically until the last book came out.  It's a pivotal book in the series; the end is epic!  If you've seen the movie, you already know, but the book is way better.  The movie's a little rushed.
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »

Harry Potter is a great example of book vs. movie.  I love the books better because of all the details you read about that they can't fit into the movies.  When the movies started coming out,  I had been planning to start reading the series, so I did finish book one before the movie.  I think if I'd seen the movies first, I would have still liked the books better, but its hind-sight bias. 

Movie six was interesting because it was the first one where they really took creative license and changed from the books.  Before that movie, the changes were pretty much done for the sake of time. 

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »

See I've seen all the movies, and I liked them okay, but then I tried to read the first book and couldn't really make it through the whole thing. I don't know what my problem was, it's the kind of book I should love.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2010, 06:17:34 AM »

I've still got to read the books!  I've read the first two and have got the rest, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »

I'm the opposite, Kelly; I am not normally a fantasy fan and didn't think I would like Harry Potter much at all, but it didn't take long to get addicted!  JK Rowling is brilliant.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

I've still got to read the books!  I've read the first two and have got the rest, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

The best is yet to come!  The first two are fun and cute and great introductions to the series, but the third is where it really starts to get good (and deep), and from there on out, it goes from great to amazing!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »

I am enjoying the litle details that were left out ofthe movie. Like learning about Hagrid and his family and the whole house elf thing Hermione had going on.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »

Once I'm done reading Slumdog Millionaire, I'll have to make a start on the third Harry Potter book.

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »

Oh, and I read a really fun one a while back called, Audry, Wait! by Robin Bennway. If you love music you'll have fun with this book.

*gasp* I know this is an old post but I just HAVE to reply on this! I had borrowed this book from the library not so long ago but it's a Dutch translation and I didn't expect I'd find this book mentioned here! (Even though it's original in English lol) But I totally loved this book! :) The main person in this story is hilarious.

I don't read much (books, that is) but sometimes I feel like going to the library and see what they have. :) I also loveloveloveLO VE the Twilight saga! I have Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. They're all in Dutch, so I'm still waiting for Breaking Dawn to be finally translated and published here. But it's taking too damn long! Argh!

I love the Harry Potter books but I honestly can't remember what happened in the 6th and 7th book lol. When I saw the 6th movie, I remembered hehe.

Anyway, I love romantic stories but also scary or supernatural stories. At the moment I am reading the book Nick's mother wrote about him lol. I am totally on a BSB collecting hunt so I already read the official book by Rob McGibbon. I started reading Backstreet Mom by AJ's mother but since that one is in English and the official book and the book about Nick are in Dutch, I decided to finish those first. I keep on forgetting to continue reading the book about Nick. Even though they're biographies (or something), they are still quite inspiring. It's fun to read about how their lives turned upside down. :)

There is one author I'd recommend but it's useless because she only writes Dutch books. Her books are all about problems teenagers have to cope with (loverboys, eating disorders, someone committing suicide because he's being bullied at school etc. etc.) They are soooo good! It's especially interesting for me as a 17 year old. :) There are movies of 3 or 4 of her books and they are really good too. I just wished her books would be translated into English and other languages as well so other people can enjoy her stories. *sigh*

I get my inspiration from movies, books, commercials, my experiences, my friends' or family's experiences, songs, quotes... A LOT.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:23:03 PM by TheDistantHeart »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

I finished reading "Dear John" (Nicholas Sparks) this week, and... ugh!  I didn't like it.  The male lead, who narrates the story, was a good character, but the girl... talk about a Mary Sue!  I went through a brief Nicholas Sparks phase after "The Notebook" came out, but I have since given up on him, after realizing that all of his books are essentially the same, and all of his female characters are too-perfect, Southern belle Mary Sues.  The only exception is "The Guardian," which is really an awesome book.  The rest... blah.  At least I know not to bother with the movie now.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »

I finally finished Goblet of Fire. You were right Julie, after the beginning, it got really interesting and this one was chock full of information. I have the Order of the Pheonix and will probably start it after i'm done with Catching Fire.

I also finished Duma Key by SK and I have to say it was well...dumbaa LOL but hey, they can't all be great.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

The Hunger Games = My new favorite book ever.  I just finished it and am literally frothing at the mouth to get my hands on Catching Fire. I'll most likely have it read by the end fo the week and will join the rest of the world in waiting impatiently for book number three.  Seriously, in the most surprising way, this book just blew me away. Page after page after gory, brutal, amazing page.   LOVE.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »

^ It was awesome. I read half of Catching Fire in one sitting. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the third one.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10