Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Anyone reading books lately...  (Read 25317 times)

Jellicle

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Anyone reading books lately...
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

Decided to put my two cents in it LOL :)

1) Is anybody reading anything else other than fan fiction?
I rarely read fanfiction though I try to keep it up with it more lately but I'm a true bookworm, actually I can't sleep if I don't read every night before bed, I can't even leave the house without a book in my bag or I feel naked. I refused to read the Twilight saga for a very long time for no apparent reason but after watching the movie (and keeping up with the resistance for a couple of months more) I've finally given up and read all four books in the last couple of weeks and definitely got hooked. Maybe not the most literary work of art out there but incredibly addictive and entertaining. As side stuff, i'm reading the leaked parts of Midnight Sun.

I've just started reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and it seems ok so far. Not too much of a fan of "self help" books but she has an incredible witty side to her and she's telling her own story which makes it easier to relate to and I even find myself nodding to the stuff she says about relationships so it can be a good read.

And I've bought 6 other books today so i'm pretty much settled for the next two months. LOL.

2) If so, what authors or books could you reccomend?

As authors, I would definitely recommend Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I've read many of his books and his style is simply extraordinary. Also Dostoyevski and Paulo Coelho are some other faves of mine though Coelho's recent writings are kinda started to go on a holier level, I still like his earlier books. As books, my all time favorite is Martin Eden by Jack London, I just love it.

I can go on forever LOL.

and 3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?

Anything and everything, to say it simply. Sometimes a word, a scene I witness, a conversation I had, a person I see, a dream I had, even the things happening in my life can give me ideas for creating a story.
It's a weird world don't you know it?
It's a weird world and it won't slow down
It's a weird world no matter how you roll it

http://unmistakableinaweirdworld.blogspot.com www.facebook.c om/gosdie
www.twitter.co m/jellicle1904

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »

I just finished Manhunter (or eater) by Jennifer Crusie...it was cute, super cheesy ending though...

I am sleezing out on my next selection, just started Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins...

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »

I've read that Jackie Collins one, it's good :)

Well, I've done so much reading over the last few days.  I read Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer in a week.  I just could not put those books down and am totally loving Edward Cullen.  I'm kind of gutted to have finished reading, so I've started Twilight all over again, taking it slower this time. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

I plowed through the Twilight saga too LOL.  I started rereading Twilight after the movie came out, though, and I never finished.  It was a lot slower that time, and I got bored by the time James and co. entered the picture.  I wanna read New Moon again over the summer or sometime though.

For now, I'm starting back with the Harry Potter books for the umpteenth time, thanks to the book club!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »

I plowed through the Twilight saga too LOL.  I started rereading Twilight after the movie came out, though, and I never finished.  It was a lot slower that time, and I got bored by the time James and co. entered the picture.  I wanna read New Moon again over the summer or sometime though.

For now, I'm starting back with the Harry Potter books for the umpteenth time, thanks to the book club!

Hey Julie  did Jacob get on your nerves or something? I know one of my friends stopped reading it, cause she just hated his character. lol!! He's my fave though...I just think Edward sounds too perfect.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 05:41:47 AM »

Hey Julie  did Jacob get on your nerves or something? I know one of my friends stopped reading it, cause she just hated his character. lol!! He's my fave though...I just think Edward sounds too perfect.

I did feel a bit sorry for Jacob, but at least he was happy in the end.  As for Edward, he is perfection, hehehe.

Have you read Midnight Sun on Stephenie's website?  There's only the first twelve chapters but it's from Edward's POV and it's amazing, you'll end up loving Edward after reading that.

I'm thinking of reading the rest of the Harry Potter books.  I've got them all, but only read the first one so far.  I'm just not ready to leave the Twilight zone yet, lol.

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »

1) Is anybody reading anything else other than fan fiction?
I always try to read something other than fanfiction whenever I have the chance. And now that I'm done with the WORST semester of my entire life, I actually have a chance to have a life again. (Remind me NEVER to take 3 production classes in the same semester EVER again).

2) If so, what authors or books could you recommend?
Right now, I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse series from Charlaine Harris. (This is the series that True Blood is based off). It's actually REALLY good. As much as I loved Twilight, this series is a million times better as far as writing goes.

3) What is it that gives you an idea for fan fiction?
I use whatever is around me to inspire me. Sometimes it's dreams, sometimes it's just a random idea that blossoms. I get inspiration from all over.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »

My copy of the new Lurlene McDaniel book "Breathless," which I just had to get once I heard about the subject matter, came today.  I ripped open the box and plowed through the first 64 pages in about 20 minutes.  It's very... concise LOL.  But I guess that's what you expect when you read a book geared to kids about ten years younger than I am LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »

A Thousand Splendid Suns is an amazing read. Go buy it now, everyone!! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »

I'm reading "To Have and To Hold" by Jane Green, the author of Jemima J...pretty good...

Jellicle

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »

A Thousand Splendid Suns is an amazing read. Go buy it now, everyone!! lol

That I have on my list!! Also heard Kite Runner was good from the same author but everyone says A Thousan Splendid Suns is much better.

Jellicle

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2009, 04:00:24 PM »

I want to reread New Moon before the movie's out too. I've first read them in Turkish and now I'll start reading them in English but I'm so afraid that i'll get addicted to it all over again and stop reading anything else for that matter, LOL!

There's one thing that I tell all the first time Twilight readers though, just don't expect to be able to rest before you finish all 4 of them, cause you can't!

You're reading Harry Potter in the book club? That's so cool!! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »

That I have on my list!! Also heard Kite Runner was good from the same author but everyone says A Thousan Splendid Suns is much better.

It is! Kite Runner was incredible too though.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »

I've been meaning to read Kite Runner for a while, I have it here, but I keep skipping it for other stuff.  I just started Lipstick Jungle yesterday, not far enough in yet to have an opinion...

Jellicle

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2009, 04:05:48 AM »

I've been meaning to read Kite Runner for a while, I have it here, but I keep skipping it for other stuff.  I just started Lipstick Jungle yesterday, not far enough in yet to have an opinion...

Lipstick Jungle is a fun read but i wasn't so thrilled about it. Loved the show much better, LOL. Would love to hear your opinions on it though.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10