Fic Talk > Featured Story of the Month

Featured Story of the month for April 2007 - Under My Skin by Mellz Bellz

<< < (5/12) > >>

starbeamz:

--- Quote from: honey on April 05, 2007, 09:56:25 PM ---Spoiler warnings Sarah!!!!! Come on!!!! Work with me here!!!! Nick sleeps with Steph??? GASP! I don't know who she is yet, but she sleeps with him??? The NERVE! -lol

--- End quote ---

SORRY!!!! I totally forgot! But, for everyone else, I edited my post, so hopefully that'll not wreck it for everyone else. I'm super sorry, Kelly!

honey:

--- Quote from: starbeamz2 on April 05, 2007, 11:29:07 PM ---SORRY!!!! I totally forgot! But, for everyone else, I edited my post, so hopefully that'll not wreck it for everyone else. I'm super sorry, Kelly!

--- End quote ---

hehe, you're funny Sarah! now you have to edit this one cause you quoted me and I ruined it. I edited it from my post now too though so we should be safe after that...

MellzBellz:

--- Quote from: starbeamz2 on April 05, 2007, 09:44:37 PM ---Really?! I must've missed that secret memo. I guess I'll go find my "sex food" now. What do you guys think of popcorn, mac and cheese, or a tuna sandwich? Are those "sexy" enough LOL

--- End quote ---

Hey whatever gets you going works! LOL  ;D

Wow... Thanks for your opinions Sarah! I'm SOOOO happy that you're still enjoying UMS. You brought up a lot of great points in your last post about the story which makes me feel like Good! I'm getting my point across! lol

The whole "complication" factor in reationships is definitely what I wanted to focus on with this story. If I'm going to write something in the romance realm (and i think I consider UMS more angst than romance, but some beg to differ) I'm not going to do a cutesy fantasy type romance. I'm going to lay it out there how it really is. Men cheat, exes who try to be friends wind up more as friends with benefits, and sometimes your feelings for a person aren't as cut and dry as you'd think. I joke that the reason that I can write a story like this and keep it so raw and real is that I'm in a pretty bitter cynical place when it comes to love in general right now. Its very funny though because just the other night I was out to dinner w/ a friend who had just broken up w/ her b/f and she was really upset and pretty much spent the whole meal venting to me about the breakup. It got to the point where I actually swore that i could be talking to Alyssa from my story LOl. Like Nick, her b/f broke up with her cuz he felt that he "needed to be single for a while to just hang with the guys and do his thing." He also told her that maybe down the road they could get back together again when he's ready. She was actually saying something about how their relationship was so intense sometimes that it scared her which was actually something that I had just written for the next chapter. So, I guess when it comes to keeping it real I definitely did my job there!

I'm going to try to include more from Nick's perspective too. When I started writing the story it was pretty much Alyssa's story because A) I'm much more comfortable writing from a girls POV and B) Originally the story was supposed to be first person, but I felt too limited so I changed it. As the story has progressed I've slipped into Nick's head a few times too, but the predominant perspective has been from Alyssa. I'm going to work on that, but sometimes its just so hard to get both their opinions on something and not have the story drag. And I'm glad you like the flashbacks and how the mystery of their past is unfolding. Unfortunately, *hides* I don't think the complete Katie/Serena mystery will be answered in this story. I'm going to carry that over to the sequel just because it parallells events that take place in it. There will be one more major bombshell concerning Katie before the end of this story though.

About Alyssa not being a Mary Sue, I REALLY tried hard not to let her fall into that catergory. I wanted her to be very realistic and not one of those female leads where everyone of the guys (including Aaron and even Baylee or any other male period) falls in love w/ her. I've tried to make her flawed, but just flawed enough where the reader realizes she's human. She's definitely very jealous and maybe a bit posessive over Nick (although I would think you'd have to be to ward off all those girls lol) and she definitely has her bitchy moments like her lil snide comments about Paris, the whole wanting revenge on Katie... (left it vague so I don't spoil it for Kelly lol) In the end I think it makes you realize she's just your average 20 something year old female. Face it, we're bitchy when we need to be and I don't think too many fics show their main character in that light.

Ha don't get me started on Nick's flaws in this story. I alwas say that Nick is just complicated period, so he pretty much writes himself sometimes. But he's trying to change (operative word trying) he just becomes a little misguided lol.

MellzBellz:
Oh yea! Sorry if Sarah spoiled anything Kelly. I forgot that you're only up to like Chapter 10 (30 more to go!)

Trust me though... You know Steph. You prolly don't remember her because she's played a very minor role, but you'll see more of her as the story progresses.

honey:

--- Quote from: MellzBellz on April 06, 2007, 11:48:29 AM ---Oh yea! Sorry if Sarah spoiled anything Kelly. I forgot that you're only up to like Chapter 10 (30 more to go!)

Trust me though... You know Steph. You prolly don't remember her because she's played a very minor role, but you'll see more of her as the story progresses.

--- End quote ---

OMG STEPH!!!! as in Alyssa's little sister!!!!!!! How could I forget!!!!!! UGH!!! Nicky just went down on my "reasons to kill your boyfriend" list!!!!

----would run off to read more right this second, but I'm like 1/2 a page away from finishing my story so I need to go do that first... Then I'll go read more cause now I wanna know how that whole STEPH thing came about!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version