Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Most challenging  (Read 18466 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Most challenging
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »

I think the problem is I do not posess an inner AJ. I think I have an inner all of the others but whe it comes to him, I can't relate in a positive way. LOL Which is weird because if he was just a normal guy and we went to school together, I could see him in my group of friends, but he'd be the one i'd be the most disconnected from.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

See, I'm the opposite - personality-wise, I am more like Kevin/Howie than the other guys, but I enjoy writing the other three way more.  I don't know why that is.  I guess even if I can relate better to Kevin and Howie, I still don't find them as interesting and fun to write as Nick, Brian, and AJ.  Really, I think it's just because Brian, Nick, and AJ are my favorites.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 11:54:23 PM »

Honestly, I think I can write Nick, AJ and Brian the easiest is cause they're the ones I relate to. Nick's random process is very similar to my own lol. Only magnified since I think Nick's head would be worse LOL. Brian's way of just knowing things but being really silly and able to go with the flow is like a really good friend of mine. And then, AJ's issues hit close to home, so I find him easy to get into. And all his "wtf" type things he can say, well that's a very warped sense of humor of mine coming into play LOL.

Howie and Kevin, I just can't relate to them. Kevin's easier though cause I use a lot of my oldest brother's traits and put them onto him.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »

I never find it hard to write Kevin... in fact I find it quite easy because I just don't do it! :P

For me there's two challenging bits. One of them has to do with fanfic as a whole. It is SO easy to not describe your characters based on the assumption that people know what they look like, their personalities, etc. I often find it weird to go into physical descriptions of the guys because I'm thinking 'ok, everyone already knows this it's on their desktop' or something lol

The actual writing challenge comes in the form of dialogue. I have ZERO problem with dialogue, and that is the problem. I find that I tend to visualize things like a movie, and write it out like a movie so it's easy to let people monologue instead of describing the scene.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »

Hmmm I have a hell of a time writing Howie. I know hardly anything about him...its not that I don't like Howie, its just that he is hard to get right. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but he is just difficult for me. Him and Kevin especially. Nick's siblings, I avoid them completely. Too many characters gets confusing honestly. I only used a 12 year old Aaron and Nick's father Bob in my AU series. I don't like Aaron so I would rather not deal with him lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »

I never find it hard to write Kevin... in fact I find it quite easy because I just don't do it! :P

For me there's two challenging bits. One of them has to do with fanfic as a whole. It is SO easy to not describe your characters based on the assumption that people know what they look like, their personalities, etc. I often find it weird to go into physical descriptions of the guys because I'm thinking 'ok, everyone already knows this it's on their desktop' or something lol

The actual writing challenge comes in the form of dialogue. I have ZERO problem with dialogue, and that is the problem. I find that I tend to visualize things like a movie, and write it out like a movie so it's easy to let people monologue instead of describing the scene.

I am the same way with dialogue, but personally I enjoy reading dialogue more than description so I tend to write like that as well. I think sometimes that's one of my main problems. I tend to write what I would like to read. I am changing things a bit with this new one. What's funny is after editing this past Brian chapter I wrote, I actually said, "You know I probably would have totally skipped this chapter if I was reading this." I'm not sure I would even read this story if I wasn't the one writing it!" lmao Wow, what a ringing endorsement for my own story!

I never describe the guys in fanfics for the very reason you mentioned. Maybe it's naive of me but I do think the only people who really read BSB fanfics are interested enough in them to at least know what they look like. I really hate describing people in general lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

LOL Mare, you're cracking me up. Um, I've only done small challenges so I don't have much...I've been wanting to write a longer story, but to be honest I'm having a hell of a time coming up with something. So that is challenging for me...hard to write a story without a plot. LOL. And I don't want to force anything, so I've just been trying to work on my writing in general by doing small challenges.

As far as writing the guys, I definitely relate to Kevin the most. I've written from his POV a couple of times. I have a lot of fun writing Nick and AJ in a comedic way, but I don't know about writing AJ in his dark places. I mean, I can relate but I just don't know if I can do it although I've never tried. I have to agree about Howie. He tends to just be there...sleepi ng or something. LOL! In interviews and whatnot, Howie seems really funny but in a sarcastic way but not sure how that would translate in writing.
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »

I'm going to have to make my next challenge be a Howie one. Poor guy lol

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »

I know! It's pretty funny too. When I'm reading I crack up whenever Howie is sleeping in a corner or something. LOL!

Mare, I think it was in Why I'd Do it...when you wrote his character feeling underused or whatever. Was that the right story? Where he's talking to his brother about taking more of a role in the group and putting more of his ideas out there? Anyways, I loved that.
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »

yes lol and he complained about it all throughout the 5 Backstreet Boys in search of a plot as well.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »

Poor Howie lol

I think the part I find the most difficult is the build up. The parts that make the major plot points in the story flow all together. I think I'm good at writing the 'action-packed' scenes, but the filler parts that link the story together are really difficult for me. It's always really tempting for me to gloss over that stuff, and I've done it in the past. Going back I think it made my stuff seem really choppy. So I'm trying to work on that.

As far as BSB specific stuff goes, I have a really hard time writing Brian. I used to think it was Howie, but Brian has been really difficult for me because I think he has a lot of layers in his personality that are not that easy to convey. I also have a hard time writing anything that Nick's not involved in. Any time I try to start something where Nick is not the lead I lose interest very quickly.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »

I also have a hard time writing anything that Nick's not involved in. Any time I try to start something where Nick is not the lead I lose interest very quickly.

That's me too! I am having a heck of a time with the new one because even though Nick is important this one truly is my very first group centered fic where there really is no main character and it's tough! (I'm sure Nick will end up being the main one eventually lol)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »

I have a hard time writing their families, so I don't tend to include them or I give them made up wives/girlfriends.  I'm not interested in any other Carter but Nick :)

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »

Mainly its girlfriends/families and kids. I don't have any kids so that one is kinda moot. I'm more about centering the story around less individuals than just a group of other people. Besides the guys of course. AJ is funny in some ways. Brian I like to play around with. Nick is sort of becoming easier. Howie I feel is a mystery. A lot of other authors may not see that. I'm starting to like him more and more. Kevin I could write but I choose not to.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »

Howie is the most elusive character ever, just saying.

That said, my biggest challenge is keeping focused long enough to conclude a story. LOL My mind whirrs along and flits from story to story and I find myself writing new things that either a) was never intended for a particular story and must now be worked into a storyline, or b) is a whole new story altogether and eventually breaks off into its own thing and drives my readers nuts.

It's artistic ADD, I swear.

Yet none of my ideas are really bite-sizable stories that could be expressed right in a one shot or short story.

It's a catch 22.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7