Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Most challenging  (Read 18462 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Most challenging
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »

When writing stories, what are the things you find the most challenging as a writer?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Most challenging
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »

I think my biggest frustration is trying to get through beginnings and set-up and filler in the middle to get to the big parts/scenes that I've been visualizing in my head and looking forward to writing.  I am not one of those writers who writes out of order just because they're inspired, and that, along with the fact that I tend to write long stories, means that sometimes I have to wait YEARS to get to those parts.  I hate that.

I also hate when I start a story and get far enough along on it to post it and then completely lose my inspiration for it... or get another idea I like better and abandon it for a new story instead of finishing it first. :P

Also, with fanfic, writing the Boys' families.  I usually prefer writing scenes with just one or two characters or, at most, the five Boys together.  I don't usually like involving other people, besides my own original characters, but sometimes, for the sake of realism, it's unavoidable.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »

Oh I agree with you on the famlies. I hate when I have to incpororate them into a story. Especially the Carter clan or Leighanne. Sometimes it just is necessary for the progression though.

I am still finding AJ to me my most challenging obstace these days. I have a heck of a time writing as him.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »

Seriously... I hate the Carter clan.  I don't mind Leighanne as much, though I only write AU Brian stories these days, so it's not like she's even in there much.  I feel more comfortable writing her than the other wives/girlfriends because I know a lot more about her and how she acts and talks than I do the others.  There's less I have to just make up.

I love writing AJ as a supporting character, but the only time I've written from his POV, first person, was for a short story.  I can see why he'd be challenging.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

I hate writing about the Carter clan. I really do. Which is funny since RMTW makes it so that I really can't avoid it all that much. Especially right now. I love Nick...can't stand his family LOL. Though it's good to have it confirmed yet again I'm totally justified in writing Aaron Carter as a complete asswipe.

Writing in general, the transition chapters. Those bits where of course you can't have big event after big event, you need some calm down time. But it's hard writing those cause those are usually where I end up stuck. Even if I have a plan for them, those are my danger zones LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »

You know, I used to have issues writing Leighanne, but ever since December I haven't as much. I guess seeing her in action helped that a bit.

I love writing AJ, he can always be the weird oddball who says shit no other Boy will say or do LOL. His head can be really fun to get into.

Oh...I hate writing Howie scenes sometimes! I love Howie the person, but Howie the character can be really hard to do. I try so hard to give him justice and to showcase his own relationships within the group. But I always feel like he ends up with the filler cause even though he's awesome, he doesn't translate well into fiction LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »

I hate writing Howie unless he's evil or calling Nick "Nicky."  That's pretty much the only use I have for him.  Sorry, Howie!  Like you said, Rose, I love him in person, but I just don't find him to be a very interesting character, unless I exaggerate parts of him enough to take him out of character.  I find Kevin equally uninteresting, but I feel like I at least get more bromance out of Kevin than I do Howie.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »

I agree about Kevin, but at least with Kevin there's more room to wiggle with in the bromance department. I try so hard with Howie though.

It is fun to exaggerate parts of Howie though and play with that LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »

I don't find it hard to write Leighanne, I just don't enjoy it lol Same with the Carters. I rarely if ever put them in my stories, especially the siblings. In my Nick related fanfic world, they rarely even exist. lol Ah, if life were only that easy! Out of all of them, I have always found Kristin to be the easiet to write although, I admit since I barely do real time fics anymore I don't think i'd ever find a reason to Write Rochelle or Lauren into my fics unless i'm dong a short story. Same with Leigh. I don't know if i've ever put her into a fic. She might have been in Why or The one that came after it that I don't remember the name of lol

I am having an easier time with Howie these days. AJ's POV is easier when writing comedic. It's dark AJ I have a hard time with. He's getting two chapters in a row and i'm struggling big time lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »

I admit, I am finding it harder to write Kevin nowadays. :( *kicks Kevin*

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »

*gasp* *kicks Kevin for you* Don't make it hard for Mare!

It's weird and a sign of how twisted I am, but sometimes I really love writing dark AJ. You can really go to this dark place that you just can't go with any of the other Boys. Not even Nick really. But I will say AJ is awesome for comedy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »

It took me 50 chapters to even include Kevin in Curtain Call.  But that's his fault for leaving the freaking group.  Fail, Kevin.  Fail.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »

I like dark AJ and funny AJ.  He's usually not my first choice for main character, but I actually do like writing AJ quite a bit.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:56 PM »

^^ Same here, a lot of love has come to me in writing AJ lately. The fact I finally might write a story where he's the main is major LOL.

I still can't write a BSB story without Kevin not being in there soon after, but I think that's just cause none of mine are really "real time". Well, except Walked Out Of My Dreams, but Kevin's Brian's cousin (he's known him all his life :P) and I can't not include Kevin when Brian goes missing LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »

I can't see myself ever excluding Kevin. I would exclude AJ or Brian before I exclude Kevin. LOL

I am trying to get more comfortable writing AJ. I am just finding myself going really slow with him. He's being pokey.

It's really so easy to just say screw it! and write as Nick lol He's just so easy and Nick-ish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7