Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Most challenging  (Read 18464 times)

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
Re: Most challenging
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »

Yes to both...I also want Eboni to finish "The Question" and Marina to come back and finish YBS :(

I just posted a new chapter and I wanna say thank you to you again because I thought by now everybody had completely forgotten YBS and even if it's just one person waiting for an update, that makes me really happy.

And to stay on subject... contrary to what people that knows that English is not my first language might believe, this story in particular is 'in English' in my head, I just have a hard time going from that English language (i.e. the one full of grammar mistakes) to real English since I'm really anal about grammar and things like that and I'm always complaining when a story is poorly edited, so I have a hard time writing in English because I keep finding mistakes every time I re-read things but then that happens to me in my own language too, I'm just a little too perfectionist when writing and it's way easier to be that way in your own language.

Other than that, although also connected to the language barrier, I have a hard time with descriptions because I'm always thinking the words I'm using are not the right ones. Dialogue always seems to be easier and then I love stories full of dialogue more than longer descriptions.

As for doing the boys justice, I'm sure 'my boys' (or the boys the way I write them hehe) have more of fanfic than of real life. I mean, I became a fan really late and I got to 'know them' through old videos as much as through reading the depictions by other fanfic writers. In other words, Mare's Nick is Nick and nobody comes and tell me otherwise please because I won't believe it  :plugears:
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »

Awwww you're welcome. Sci-fi is such a rare genre in BSB fanfic and when you have a well written one with a plot that really captures you, that's even harder to find. I was really excited to see you updated. ;D

Back on topic...I'm again having transition chapter issues. I was on such a writing streak because I'd been building up to an event on my timeline for my story, and then the event and the reaction chapters were easy. The moment I went back to transition, the inspiration hit a wall. Bah.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »

As for doing the boys justice, I'm sure 'my boys' (or the boys the way I write them hehe) have more of fanfic than of real life. I mean, I became a fan really late and I got to 'know them' through old videos as much as through reading the depictions by other fanfic writers. In other words, Mare's Nick is Nick and nobody comes and tell me otherwise please because I won't believe it  :plugears:

LOL that's such a good point!  I think there's a lot of truth to that.  Of course we think we have some idea of what their personalities are like from watching them in videos all these years, but we also fill in the gaps with how we've seen them portrayed in fanfics.  There are a lot of different ways they can be written, but there are also a lot of similarities between their portrayals that we've latched onto and used.  And like you said, after reading about them a certain way for long enough, we want them to be that way in real life too!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »

Other than that, although also connected to the language barrier, I have a hard time with descriptions because I'm always thinking the words I'm using are not the right ones. Dialogue always seems to be easier and then I love stories full of dialogue more than longer descriptions.

If it helps, English is my native language, and I do that, too LOL.  I'm like you, a Grammar Nazi perfectionist, and I am always second guessing myself with words.  Today it was "imbedded" vs. "embedded" - which one is right?  According to Word spellcheck, they're both words, but are they interchangeabl e?  Do they mean the same thing?  And if not, which one should I use?  I googled it.  I google everything.  Apparently they are interchangeabl e, though "embedded" is more popular, which was the one I was leaning towards.  Ugh, it's so annoying LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »

If it helps, English is my native language, and I do that, too LOL.  I'm like you, a Grammar Nazi perfectionist, and I am always second guessing myself with words.  Today it was "imbedded" vs. "embedded" - which one is right?  According to Word spellcheck, they're both words, but are they interchangeabl e?  Do they mean the same thing?  And if not, which one should I use?  I googled it.  I google everything.  Apparently they are interchangeabl e, though "embedded" is more popular, which was the one I was leaning towards.  Ugh, it's so annoying LOL.

I'm a grammar perfectionist in my own language, I can't be it in English because... well, I just noticed that in my last post I wrote 'nobody comes and tell me' so I simply can't be it because then I go and write something full of mistakes lol

I keep googling everything too and English-English dictionaries are my best friends online (as a translator I don't trust bilingual dictionaries that much), but then I go back to my stories and tend to find mistakes that I can't understand how I didn't see them the first time. I mean, I know the difference between 'two', 'too' and 'to', how come then I end up using them all wrong in a sentence? Well, it's because in my mind it 'sounds' perfectly when I read it the first time.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »

I am SO proud of you Maria! YAY to you writing again! I haven't had time to read the new one you sent me but i'm looking forward to it now that i'm connected again!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]