Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you do when you are totally uninspired?  (Read 4147 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
What do you do when you are totally uninspired?
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

Just wondering what you do when you are completely uninspired to read or write anything. I was on such a roll until I moved. Now I can't motivate myself to even read fanfics let alone write.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what can possibly get me back into my groove? lol

I also really am blaming NKOTB for this as well. Ever since they started to collab, my feelings for BSB have begun to decrease. :(

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What do you do when you are totally uninspired?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

Aww, I hate when that happens! :(

I try not to force it, unless it's for a collaboration and I'm letting someone down by not getting my part done.  If it's just one of my own stories, I let it go for awhile and do whatever I feel like doing.  I try to read a lot, especially in genres that are similar to the story, in hopes of being inspired.  Sometimes reading gives me the writing bug back.  It doesn't have to be fanfic; usually it's published books that I'm reading.

Sometimes it helps to write something different.  I always have a back-up story (or two... or five...), so I try that, or you could always try a challenge or some other one-shot.  That doesn't always work for me, though; sometimes I'm just not in the mood, period.

Definitely reread what you have of your story so far, if you haven't already.  If I've gone a long time without updating, I do that to refresh my memory and get back into the mindset of the story, and it usually helps.

I hope you're not gonna let freaking NKOTB kill your BSB love!  Then they'd be doubly evil!  That's even more reason to ignore all the NKOTBSB stuff and immerse yourself in fanfic, in a realm where NKOTBSB doesn't exist LOL.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »

I hope you're not gonna let freaking NKOTB kill your BSB love!  Then they'd be doubly evil!  That's even more reason to ignore all the NKOTBSB stuff and immerse yourself in fanfic, in a realm where NKOTBSB doesn't exist LOL.

This part made me giggle.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, Julie. It's difficult because I have found that I'm really uninspired too. I haven't written anything BSB related for nearly a month.

I find that reading fanfics does help to inspire me with my own stuff. Maybe seeking out an old favourite and re-reading that might help you, Mare?

I'll also agree with writing something different. I have another story that I'm working on with the help of a friend of mine right now. It's not BSB at all, but it does help to get some of that writing inspiration back, and I'm hoping that it'll spill over to my BSB stuff as well. Either way I do always find it good to have a backup project that you can write on when you don't feel up to writing on your main story.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »

I do nothing, if you haven't noticed!

No tips here, but I will lurk in this thread in hopes of finding some tips on getting the inspration back!!! 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:12:27 AM »

Aw that sucks mare. I am having that problem too. Ever since I finished Figured You Out I have felt uninspired. I have been lacking on my updates and usually only get enough inspiration for one shot challenges before it dies. I try to watch a bunch of movies or read, listen to music to get ideas. I am working on a new story idea but I can't seem to finish the ones I have going on already. I don't get it :/ hope everybody gets back into writing soon

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »

I know the feeling!

I agree with Julie and Steph though and maybe I'll take their advice :)

myconfession

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »

I listen to music. For some reason music has always inspired me to write.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »

Usually I take some stuff from people who make life difficult. Lot of that going on lately. AND randomly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:57:11 PM by Mariah »
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Sam_noelle

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »

I know this was a while ago, and may not be true anymore, but I totally get the NKOTB thing. Hated it since the second it was thought of. I just have to keep reminding myself that this collabo will be over soon. That and I focus on the boys' side of things, what they're doing as a group and individually, I never watch the performances or videos where they're together. Oh and reading the reviews of the album and shows where they finally realize how much better the boys are in comparison, kind of makes me happy too.lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »

I will be happy when this little phase of their career is over. I haven't been this disjointed from BSB in a long time. I wasn't even aware a new CD came out until people started talking about it on twitter and sadder still, I refuse to buy it lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »

^ The CD is basically just greatest hits.  The only new songs on it are All in My Head, rerecorded with NKOTBSB, and their single Don't Turn Out the Lights, and a recording of the mashup they've performed on TV.  For someone who hates NKOTB, totally not worth buying.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »

That was exactly my thinking lol

Sam_noelle

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »

That was exactly my thinking lol

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. First CD that's BSB related and I ain't touchin' it. Same with the show, they're coming to my area, but I'm not goin'. I love the boys still, and follow what they're doing, but I'm not buying into this stuff at all.

Sam_noelle

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »

You know how I said that thing about reading reviews where critics finally realize that there IS a difference between our boys and boybands? Case in point:

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/gusto/music/concert-reviews/article437275.ece

Maybe stuff like this will make you feel better. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »

LMFAO at that review!  I love how even people who are objective, who aren't fans of either group, prefer the Backstreet Boys.  Just playing the NKOTBSB CD, I find that the BSB songs, which I've heard a bazillion times, sound fresh and new and wonderful in between the NKOTB songs.  They're just BETTER!  The music is better, the lyrics are better, the melodies are better, and the singing is obviously better.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2