Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fan Fic Awards?  (Read 6496 times)

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
Fan Fic Awards?
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »

I have been considering starting up a fan fic awards through my site, but literally have no idea how to get started. I have a good idea of what categories and everything I'd like to include, but when it comes to how winners are chosen I'm at a stand still. Do I set up voting forms and allow people to vote for who they think should win, or try to drum up a handful of co-judges to help read through the entries and then the judges decide on each category? *ponders*

Also, is anyone interested in a fan fic awards for the summer? I know I was nominated for a few last year, but honestly it wasn't that big a deal, not like the '99-'00 years, when fan fic awards were everywhere. Are they still a cool thing, or have they gone out of style?

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Fan Fic Awards?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »

We had started a thread about this when the forum first opened I think. There are a lack of fan fic award sites out there today and you're right.... They used to be EVERYWHERE! (Unfortunately at that time my writing was too sucky to ever win one lol) A lot of fan fic awards are pretty biased and a little unfair, but I'd like to see one around again. There are SOOO many deserving stories on AC. I'd love to help out with something like that although I don't have too much experience. I've only judged one awards. I think its best to have multiple judges though and prolly more than one per catergory.

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »

We had started a thread about this when the forum first opened I think. There are a lack of fan fic award sites out there today and you're right.... They used to be EVERYWHERE! (Unfortunately at that time my writing was too sucky to ever win one lol) A lot of fan fic awards are pretty biased and a little unfair, but I'd like to see one around again. There are SOOO many deserving stories on AC. I'd love to help out with something like that although I don't have too much experience. I've only judged one awards. I think its best to have multiple judges though and prolly more than one per catergory.

I was thinking about how some of the awards from last year were a bit biased in my opinion, and if I do end up doing one (which I probably will), I'll probably have it set up where the judges of a particular category can't be nominated for that category, if that makes sense? Let's say UMS was nominated for Best Nick Story and you were a judge (*hint,nudge*), you couldn't judge the Nick category or vice versa?

I'd be grateful for all the help I can get. Now that I'm in planning mode, I know it probably won't come to fruition until summertime, because I know a lot of people on AC are in school/college and have very little free time as it is. And also that would give me plenty of time to get everything ready.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »

Yea I know some people who agree with you there. I had a few friends who had complaints about some of the judges desicions. And yea thats totally fair that a judge shouldn't judge a catergory their own story is in. Like I've said I've always wanted to organize my own awards, so I'd be glad to help. I'm booked up until summer myself because I teach and I'm finishing up school, but summertime I'll be free.

Would it be specifically for stories on AC? I think that might be a nice idea.

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:44:27 PM »

Yay I got a helper! *bounces up and down*

Yes, just for stories on AC. We're all familiar with the site and everything, so it would be easier to get to the stories in my opinion, especially for the judges. (no pop-up ads, no worries about things being taken down, etc.)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:49 PM »

I'll definitely help if it's over the summer. :)

*bounds*

And Mel, if it's that awards you're talking about, I know exactly who those friends are. :D Haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »

*bounds*

Yay! I'd really appreciate all the help I can get. I'm hoping it'll be something big, y'know? And I know I'll need all kinds of help when the time comes. :)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »

Yay! I'd really appreciate all the help I can get. I'm hoping it'll be something big, y'know? And I know I'll need all kinds of help when the time comes. :)

Yay!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »

I like the idea of co-judges or something like that, if you could get enough - more than one judge for each category to make it less biased.  Cause that is the problem with judging.  But with voting, then it's either a popularity contest, or people find ways to cheat.  I stopped running my awards a few years ago because of that crap.

I think you should for it; it'd be nice to see a new awards site pop up!  Just make sure you actually see them through till the end and don't leave us hanging forever, wondering who won. :P
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 10:46:44 PM »

I'm willing to help in the summer too. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:50:23 PM »

Yay I got a helper! *bounces up and down*

Yes, just for stories on AC. We're all familiar with the site and everything, so it would be easier to get to the stories in my opinion, especially for the judges. (no pop-up ads, no worries about things being taken down, etc.)

Good because I'd prefer it to be for stories that we're all very familair with. I only read fiction on AC anymore anyway.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »

*bounds*

And Mel, if it's that awards you're talking about, I know exactly who those friends are. :D Haha.

You're one of them! LOl

I was also just thinking earlier how we should put a cap on how many catergories a story can be nominated in. I think three is sufficient.

Also for best story I think the nominations should be closed for the public and the winners of best, AJ, best Howie, best Nick, best Kevin, best Brian, best group should automatically be the nominees for best story.

So in theory the most awards you could possibly win is four. Does that make sense?

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »

I think you should for it; it'd be nice to see a new awards site pop up!  Just make sure you actually see them through till the end and don't leave us hanging forever, wondering who won. :P

Oh I'd see it through, that's why I'd need all the co-judges, so they could light a fire under my backside when I get lazy, lol

I'm willing to help in the summer too. :)

Yay!!

You're one of them! LOl

I was also just thinking earlier how we should put a cap on how many catergories a story can be nominated in. I think three is sufficient.

Also for best story I think the nominations should be closed for the public and the winners of best, AJ, best Howie, best Nick, best Kevin, best Brian, best group should automatically be the nominees for best story.

So in theory the most awards you could possibly win is four. Does that make sense?

I really agree with the limit of nominations. In some of the award sites I've seen in the past, a lot of stories were nominated for nearly every category. I'm hoping to get enough judges together so once the winners for Best AJ, Best Howie, Best Nick, Best Kevin, Best Brian and Best group are chosen the judges can all get together and choose a best story, how's that sound? Of course, if one of the judges has a story that falls into that category she/he could pull themselves out of that judging. Unless there could be one final judge to decide on the best overall? Or, we could set up a voting thing so readers could vote -- I'd have to get on my PHP skills and friends and see if I can come up with some sort of anti-cheating script for that... *ponders some more*

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »

I'd be willing to help where I can too, though I've never been part of any kind of awards or anything. But it sounds like fun so if you need the  help, let me know what I can do :)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:56:54 PM »

You're one of them! LOl

How did I know? :D
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2 3