Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The romantic debate  (Read 28312 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The romantic debate
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »

Karah brought up a point in the fanfic survey about romance and how it gets a bad rep. I thought it would make for an interesting debate topic since we've been kind of dead and debateless lately.

So here are some questions for you.

How many of you read romance and or write romance on a regular basis? And do you feel like it tends to get a bad rep? If so what do you feel are some of the misconceptions out there?

How many of you have ever read at least one romance and what was it about it, that made you go back or stop?

Do you tend to leave reviews for what you read?

If you are someone who doesn't enjoy romance, why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: The romantic debate
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »

How many of you have ever read at least one romance and what was it about it, that made you go back or stop?
I've read and written at least one romance. One of the more memorable romances is Kelly's "Not Your Average Cinderella Story" and another is Julie's "By My Side". Both are fantastic. Kelly's is the perfect example of taking a cliche and putting a fresh new twist on it, along with captivating characters who carry the story through. It was funny, cute and I couldn't stop reading. As for Julie's, there were a lot of issues that weren't strictly romance, that kept my interest along with characters who I'd fallen in love with in her story before that, "Broken".

Yes I do.

Because if it's not done right, it can be so over the top. Issue after issue after issue. A lot of the time it's the same exact thing! Even the same situation, only the characters change. I mean a couple (realistically) can only go through so much before a relationship dies because of it. In so many romance fanfics they just keep adding on and on and on like a freaking soap opera. At some point it needs to stop, because it just gets repetitive.

Another issue is characters. Characters NEED to carry a romance story. There's too many cliches in the genre that makes characters the top priority. So many times it's a random Boy and then a bland girl who's either too perfect, or over the top flawed at the other extreme. Mary Sues are boring. If the character doesn't capture you, why bother reading?

Sequels! OMG Romance has the BIGGEST problem with this. Unnecessary sequels! Do we have to know how many kids they have in their happy little lives? Or how many times can you screw it up before it would need to end? And of course it doesn't which is just unrealistic and annoying. Authors in the romance genre tend to have the most issues letting go. So then they start sequels that shouldn't be started and it goes back to the repetitiveness that makes you wanna stab the story with a spork LOL.

And sometimes, there's over the top sex scenes. Another thing that'll make me click out. Now, there's a way to do them and keep it tasteful. Sex scenes can be necessary. But man some people use the WORST word choices or go way too graphic and it makes me wanna just click the X at the top of my window LOL.

Now mind you, there's good romances... but they're had to find.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

I'm going to add on another question while i'm thinking about it lol

For those of you that write strictly romance, what is it that makes you stay away from the other genres? Which of the other genres do you find you want to skip and why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

How many of you read romance and or write romance on a regular basis? And do you feel like it tends to get a bad rep? If so what do you feel are some of the misconceptions out there?

I don't do either on a regular basis but I have both read and written romance. Romance/love/relationships are a huge part of every day life. Much like movies, I think that it's normal for it to play a role in fanfic of multiple genres. I'm more likely to read a story that has romance as the subplot than a straight up romance.

I think it has a bad rep just because of romance being its own genre but also crossing over. People associate all FF that involves relationships or sex as being romance but it doesn't have to be. It's not all dimestore Harlequin paperbacks. One of my favourite Stepen King novels has romance as a major subplot but it's not all there is to it, it's just part of telling a real life story. Sex is just like swearing, everyone does it!

I've definitely read a straight up romance before, and I'd say it's the quality of the writing that kept me around or kept me coming back. Sometimes it just takes an interesting story written in an interesting way to make you forget that the main focus of the plot is romance. I'd say I'm definitely more fickle though, with a romance if I'm not convinced after the first chapter I'm done!

I'm very open about the fact that I am a crap reviewer. I usually try to leave at least two though - one to let the person know I'm reading and another when I finish to let them know how I liked it.

Not Applicable! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »

I mean a couple (realistically) can only go through so much before a relationship dies because of it.

I think this can be a really interesting approach for a romance too. It's rarely seen, most people tend to take the happily ever after route but I think that the destruction of a relationship has the potential to be as interesting as the establishment of one.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »

I think this can be a really interesting approach for a romance too. It's rarely seen, most people tend to take the happily ever after route but I think that the destruction of a relationship has the potential to be as interesting as the establishment of one.

Right. I mean there can be a happy ending even within the destruction of a relationship, as it adds to the growth of the two as people. It'd be a nice change.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »

Right. I mean there can be a happy ending even within the destruction of a relationship, as it adds to the growth of the two as people. It'd be a nice change.

This is kind of what Casual is about...

I'll be back to weigh in on this debate, too hard to do from my phone!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »

I've said this before about a thousand times but I actually enjoy romance from time to time just not in fanfic. When I want to read a BSB fanfic I want it to be about the group, that's the only reason I don't read them. I have read a couple because of my old fanfic group and judging for awards, but can honestly say I haven't enjoyed any enough to want to really know what happens next. I mean some were very well written, there's no doubt about that, and some of the stories I would not have ever clicked on if I didn't have to and then after reading said wow this was pretty good. But I also had to pretend they weren't BSB fics to get through them otherwise I would have been totally bored. 

I think another reason I tend to stay away from the genre is because it seems to be the one genre where the author tends to use themselves as the main character. Again, not all of the stories, but to me it just seems like this one and visuals are where authors do it the most and it is one of my biggest pet peeves when people do that. lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »

I've read and written romance stories and don't see a problem with them at all, same as I don't have a problem with any other genre of fanfic.  I think a big misconception is that all romance stories are the same, you know, boy meets girl and they live happily ever after even though they've just met.  But that's not always the case and there are stories out there that have really grabbed my attention with the content and the way they are told.  I suppose I just love the escapism of romance and the hope that maybe there is such a thing as a happy ending (at least in fiction there is!)

I've read plenty of romance stories and will carry on reading as long as the story is interesting.  I suppose I stop or lose interest if the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I always leave a review as I feel it's only polite to do so.

N/A

Mare, I'm guilty of using myself as the main character in a romance.  It comes from when I first discovered fanfics on another site.  All the writers used their own names and the names of others within the site, so I thought that was the normal thing to do, lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »

^ lol That's okay Steph, I still love you! You know I think it was just something everyone did back in the day. I have noticed it less and less as the years have gone by.

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »

Lurking around and felt this is a topic I could really respond to. In the past I've kind of been on both sides of the fence here. I've been writing since I was 15 and naturally where did I start? Really bad Nick romances LOL. I'll be the first to admit that I've done the cliches... I've followed the trends. I really do feel though that the strictly romance/drama genre gets a bad rep, especially the Nick romance genre. I personally like to write for a few reasons. It's a great creative outlet for me. I have a great imagination that I definitely am losing the older I get, so a creative hobby like this is good for me. I've met some awesome friends through writing fan fics and I love the community that we have as writers for each other. I also see writing as a bit of a therapeutic outlet for me. Someone commented on basing female characters off of themselves and how annoying it is, but I think we all to some degree do it. We may not name our characters after ourselves anymore, but consciuously or subconsciously we may make them look like us or be in the same profession as us, or have the same family as us. It's what we know and in some instances it's so much easier to make my female lead a teacher versus a magazine editor because I know nothing about that world. I feel it makes me more credible as a writer. I know many fan fic purists who say "It's BSB fan fiction so I want to read about BSB, not some random chick." I disagree with that. I try in my writing to where appropriate cameo the other guys in, but predominantly I guess my writing is very "female centric." I feel like I've made a lot of progress even in writing more in Nick's POV, but I still sometimes find myself neglecting his thoughts and have to stop myself and go back. Let's face it... It's easier for me to write as a female becasuse I am one.

As for romance being a stand alone genre I think that too many people just assume that romance is all about sex scenes and dumb drama. We've all read the cliched "Nick meets ordinary girl. They fall in love. Have lots of amazing sex. Girl gets pregnant. Nick cheats on her. Girl forgives him after a few chapters. They get married and live happily ever after. The end." A lot of those stories DO exsist. Maybe it is a bit pretentious of me, but I always felt like I tried to write about romance in a realistic way that was still entertaining. The fact is that in real life, romance is not at all that exciting or romantic. I mean in the beginning yes it can be, but romance can be awkward and it's not like in the movies. So, I try to straddle that line. Problem is that it's so easy to get sucked down that path of craziness and overblown sex scenes becasuse no one wants to read about the realities of a relationship where things are less than perfect. The few times I've tried to take a more realistic route with a character readers can mistake them for being "whiny or unconfident." It's tricky and something that I am trying to work on as I rewrite some of my older stuff.

Ha I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

I've read multiple romances over the years. Some great, some not so great. Certain stories that I read years ago that disgusted me the first time I read it, I found really enjoyable reading again at an older age. Again I think for me what really gets me into a good romance is strong, believable characters that I can identify with. If they are too perfect or too unbelievable they don't seem real to me and I could care less what happens to them.

I try to. I used to be A LOT better about it when I first joined AC. Lately I haven't read much because I've been out of the loop for so long I'm not sure where to start lol. I may not review every chapter, but I'll try to send a review every now and then to let others know that I am checking out their story.

For those of you that write strictly romance, what is it that makes you stay away from the other genres? Which of the other genres do you find you want to skip and why?

This is a REALLY good question and I'm not sure why I love my romances so much. I used to be such a hopeless romantic in my teens, but now I'm actually pretty cynical. I think that still somewhere deep down I want to believe in romance and falling in love with someone. As Julilly said love and sex are a part of life. People do it. It's a big part of life. I don't stay away from other genres purposely it's just I like to deal with more reality based situations. I don't mind reading other genres and I am much more likely to read anything if there's a romantic subplot, but as far as writing goes it just doersn't appeal to me. There's a lot of loopholes you need to cover in other genres to pull them off well. I'm also a perfectionist when it comes to details, so if I don't know about a topic and can't really research it very well I'd rather not write it than write a story that is not accurate.

I hope that helped to get a different perspective on the romance debate.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »

Yes, thank you. I was hoping someone who mainly wrote romance weighed in on this.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »

Just felt like it belonged here instead and i'd love for more people to weigh in on this. Feel free to make similar topics about other genres as well.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

I love reading romance and that’s the only thing I write. I think it gets a bad rep because of misconceptions like Steph said. I think a lot of people just think it’s boy meets girl fall in love and get married. I will admit though I’m guilty of doing that in a few of my stories. As far as the comment made about sequels, I'm guilty of that. In fact I'm wrting one to Joyful Heart right now. I think for me perosnally, I have more to say about the couple and what they are going through so I make a second story. For example the sequel to JH is set four years later so it's kind of how is their relationship now.

Absolutely read romance. If the story of how they met and fell in love is interesting, if there conflicts in the relationship and them getting together, that’s what keeps me coming back. Sometimes I stop reading if the writer takes it in a direction I wouldn’t envision for the couple. But that’s just a personal thing for me.

I try to but a lot of times I don’t. I really need to get better at that.

Does not apply.

I think I stay away from other genres because I don’t know how to write anything else. I think I do okay at romance because it’s my fantasy coming to life. How I wish things could be for me. That’s why I’m always the main female lead. I’m writing about how I want a man to want me and to fall instantly in love with me. I hope that doesn’t come off as selfish of me but that’s just me putting my fantasy out there. Some days my fantasy world is what keeps me sane! I definitely couldn’t do horror and I don’t know if I could be good at describing a thriller or mystery.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

I don't as much anymore, but I used to a lot. For a while, it was the genre I was reading and writing the most! I don't feel like it gets a bad rep; people are going to like what they're going to like. There are a lot of people reading and writing romance, so while it may not be for everyone there are a lot of romance fans out there.

If there are any misconceptions, I'd say it's that all romances are bland and just endless relationship drama that goes nowhere. While this is probably true for some, it's definitely not true for all. But I think it's just because there are so many romances, there are naturally going to be more poorly written ones than well written ones. It's like with Nick fans! He's the most popular so he has more crazies lol

I've read lots of romances. The ones I kept reading had interesting characters that drove the story and kept things fresh. I feel like you need to spend time developing characters in romance because romance is so hugely based on interpersonal relationships. I don't think endless amounts of couple drama is entertaining without having the characters established beforehand, and that's what'll have me clicking the back button.

I also can't buy Nick as this overly sweet nice guy. There are lots of stories I've read (especially back in the day...1999-2001) where Nick shows up and sweeps this girl off her feet. I can't deal with OOC Nick and I know that I don't know him personally or anything, but super perfect prince charming Nick just rubs me the wrong way.

Yes, I like to let people know that I'm reading and I enjoy the dialogue that can come from the author responding to my review.

n/a

I do like other genres, but I started out writing romance because I found it the easiest. I've always been into romance type movies so that's probably part of the reason. Also, I'm not gonna lie, 13 year old me really loved reading about Nick and his endless amounts of relationships and drama. That guy gets around! :P but I was never strictly a romance writer.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11