Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: The romantic debate  (Read 28307 times)

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
Re: The romantic debate
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »

That's great, Mel!  As good as it is to step out of your comfort zone, there's nothing wrong with writing what's comfortable, especially when you haven't written anything in awhile.  What's most comfortable is probably what you're best at - write what you know.

I know I really made an effort to step out outside the box with the stories I worked on after Broken/BMS, but now I'm writing Curtain Call, which is similar.  I like trying other things, but I will probably always cycle back to my medical dramas with a hint of romance from time to time, cause those are my favorites.

Yea whenever I try to write something different or out of the box for myself I tend to at first be super gun ho, but then I fizzle out at like Chapter 3 or 4. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me this time.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »

Yea whenever I try to write something different or out of the box for myself I tend to at first be super gun ho, but then I fizzle out at like Chapter 3 or 4. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me this time.

What have you written outside your comfort zone?
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »

What have you written outside your comfort zone?

I've fooled around with a few ideas that I haven't posted because they never really got off the ground. I did some major cleaning up on my account too and deleted a lot of the stories I had no intentions of finishing. I did keep up an idea I had for a suspense story that I may or may not ever get around to finishing.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

I've fooled around with a few ideas that I haven't posted because they never really got off the ground. I did some major cleaning up on my account too and deleted a lot of the stories I had no intentions of finishing. I did keep up an idea I had for a suspense story that I may or may not ever get around to finishing.

You think that's best, deleting stories you won't finish? I could see that. I have a bunch that I haven't finished yet.
My Stories
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »

I admit that I think I may have been one of the ones to at first feel a little attacked as a romance writer, but I am over it now. I know that I've wanted to get back into writing and had been struggling with ideas so I went back to what was comfortable. The good news? I finally had the courage to start something brand new. Yes, it is a Nick romance. Yes, it is in first person POV from an OFC. Yes, it may not feature the boys very much. Am I happy writing it? Extremely! And it's not a Nick and Alyssa story which is a big step for me. I've learned write what you want to write. There's an audience for everything out there. It's been so long since I've actually been excited about an idea.

Yay Mel! I recently came to the same thought about writing what you love.   I started a new fic as well, haven't posted yet, but it's helped remind me what I love about writing and why I started writing fanfic.  Just from starting that one, I have been able to work on some of my other fanfics that are already posted.

I will keep my eye out for your new story.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »

You think that's best, deleting stories you won't finish? I could see that. I have a bunch that I haven't finished yet.

Yea... They really weren't that far along where I had many readers yet and if I ever changed my mind I'd probably want to do some rewrites on those first few chapters anyway. If I wasn't sure I left them up, but there were at least two or three I was pretty sure that I was never going to finish.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

I've done that also. A couple years back I deleted everything but stories that were either completed or in progress. I decided not to keep up anything that was on hiatus. It doesn't mean I won't come back to it later but I don't want someone to start reading it then (possibly) be disappointed to find out there is no plans for more.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

^ I don't think the story that I have on hiatus will have that issue since it's a sci-fi/fantasy story .. not too many readers.  I did, however, delete one that I kicked myself for starting. It was a sequel that should never have been.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

myconfession

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2011, 11:12:13 PM »

I just wanted to say kudos to 'almost' everyone in this thread for doing the reading duel challenge. After skimming through, there is only one person who posted more than once in here and hasn't stepped up to the challenge. Hopefully she will too!

LMFAO That was me I'm sure!

Sorry been crazy busy and hadn't logged on here!

myconfession

« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »

Slash could be like country music, the most divisive genre.  Like country, you either love it or you hate it.  Some people live by slash, where that's all they read/write, and some people wouldn't go near it.  Sometimes you get a country song or artist that goes mainstream pop, just like some slash stories are so well-written that they convert people who normally wouldn't read slash.

So I'm behind on this thread and I'm skimming but is it sad I see this and think of Brokeback Mountain and gay cowboys? *sigh* LOL

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

Yea... They really weren't that far along where I had many readers yet and if I ever changed my mind I'd probably want to do some rewrites on those first few chapters anyway. If I wasn't sure I left them up, but there were at least two or three I was pretty sure that I was never going to finish.

That's actually a smart idea. No need to keep the ones up that haven't been updated in a while. I rewrite constantly so it makes sense to hold off on so many ideas at once. I think one at a time or two ideas works for me.
My Stories

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:21 AM »

LMFAO That was me I'm sure!

Sorry been crazy busy and hadn't logged on here!

It was but not anymore lol woot!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »

It was but not anymore lol woot!

LMFAO Promise I had no idea til I saw Tracy talking about it on Twitter yesterday.

Also need to finish posting Back to December up on here and post Ours while I'm off before going to Orlando or Tampa first.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »

So I'm behind on this thread and I'm skimming but is it sad I see this and think of Brokeback Mountain and gay cowboys? *sigh* LOL

LOL!  Well hey, there's the connection between slash and country.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »

How many of you read romance and or write romance on a regular basis? And do you feel like it tends to get a bad rep? If so what do you feel are some of the misconceptions out there?

Romance is one of my favorite genre, and I always write about romance. Romance pocketbooks are pretty popular here in the Philippines, and it was my dream to have a book published. I've finished one last year, submitted it to the publishing house but was rejected due to weak heroine. I'm halfway through my second story now. Maybe this is the reason why I always stick to romance.

Though I don't really believe that romance gets bad rep, the misconception is maybe because of the some reasons you guys mentioned and it being overrated sometimes. But since I've mentioned the romance pocketbooks I'd tell you that the publishing houses here has a formula about writing a romance story; boy meets girls + boys loses girl + boys and girls getting back together = romance story. But mind you, the problems of the relationship must not be that too simple and must be unique in a certain way.

How many of you have ever read at least one romance and what was it about it, that made you go back or stop?

Since I love the romance genre, I try to read everything I could. The only thing that could make me stop reading it is the way it was written. But if there is a story that I love the idea but was horribly written, I'd still read it. :)

Do you tend to leave reviews for what you read?
Yes. especially if I love the story and I am enjoying.

If you are someone who doesn't enjoy romance, why?
not applicable.

For those of you that write strictly romance, what is it that makes you stay away from the other genres? Which of the other genres do you find you want to skip and why?

I would love to try writing a horror, suspense or dramedy. I just don't know how to pull it through. Since English is not my native language, I find it difficult to write other genre. Because even in romance I am still struggling with words, what more for other genre.  :)

A world without Alex is a wasted space.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]