Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: The romantic debate  (Read 28479 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The romantic debate
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »

^ Exactly!  I'm not a sci-fi fan either; I was just happy to see Louise back LOL.

I felt the same way last year about Lurks, Tracy's FYO, and Reb's Last Christmas, bringing back the old-school suspense!  That's definitely my second favorite genre, after drama, and all those stories made reading fanfic fun again too.  Last summer was so awesome because of that variety.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

A reading challenge sounds good!

Julie, I love how you put the genres in terms of music genres.  In music, I like a bit of everything and I'm the same with fanfic.  It depends on my mood really, I might read a fluffy romance (which I have nothing against and even like to write) and then follow it with horror.  Just like sometimes I might want to listen to Linkin Park and then I might fancy a bit of The Beatles.

I don't think anyone is attacked here for posting their opinions, we're just having a healthy discussion :)  We are all different and all like different things.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »

I'm the same way; I like a little bit of everything, with music and with fanfic.  Romance isn't my favorite genre, but that doesn't mean I don't have romances among my favorites.  A lot of the fanfics that have had the most impact on me feature romance at least as a subplot.  I've read at least something in every genre, and in most genres, I can pick out at least one story that I've absolutely loved.  See Mare's conversion thread for more info LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

LOL I'm as picky with music as I am with my fanfic reading.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »

That sums it up for me exactly! I think we complain generally about the limited choices, not so much who is writing the stories. I'm excited there is suddenly a multitude of sci fi stories popping up on AC and i'm not even a fan of sci fi lol it's just nice to see some more variety out there.

Right, and if anyone sees my twitter lol, I bitch abotu it sometimes. I am a girl who likes variety in her fanfic. I also am one who is very picky with romance. I've read it, and I've even said in the survey thread I don't hate it. I'm just really choosey about it. But it does get disappointing when the genre completely dominates AC. I'm someone who loves suspense, action, sci-fi, horror, and wish there was more.

If that offends people...well, it's a personal preference. Not an attack on those who write it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

I hope this opinion is coming from Twitter and not here on AC.  I don't think these debate threads on AC are meant to be negative at all; they're just intended to get us talking.  It was pretty dead on this board before the romance conversation started, and I've enjoyed the fanfic discussion that resulted from it.  I think we do a pretty good job on this board of expressing different opinions without attacking each other or resorting to name-calling.  The forum as a whole is pretty harmonious compared to most other BSB forums I've been to.  We may not all agree on all points (and it would be pretty boring around here if we did), but we all like fanfiction, and almost all of us like the Backstreet Boys, so we have enough in common to get along and respect each other's opinions even when they differ from our own.

Yes that negativity does come from Twitter. It reminds of the women's bathroom where all the gossip comes from in high school and junior high schoo. The sad thing is everything you say on Twitter pisses someone off. People take things the wrong way, because they read into emotion that isn't there.  I like this board  and I love AC. I think that we are all so unique and wonderful that we should have fun and enjoy our accomplishment s.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

Yes that negativity does come from Twitter. It reminds of the women's bathroom where all the gossip comes from in high school and junior high schoo. The sad thing is everything you say on Twitter pisses someone off. People take things the wrong way, because they read into emotion that isn't there.  I like this board  and I love AC. I think that we are all so unique and wonderful that we should have fun and enjoy our accomplishment s.

Right, and that's the problem. People read tweets and make a lot of assumptions. And most of the time it's nothing meant the way someone else took it. Life's a lot easier when you just ask the person what they meant by that LOL. Clears a lot of things up. I haven't seen any attacks on the romance genre on twitter, but maybe I just don't follow those people?

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »

Yes that negativity does come from Twitter. It reminds of the women's bathroom where all the gossip comes from in high school and junior high schoo. The sad thing is everything you say on Twitter pisses someone off. People take things the wrong way, because they read into emotion that isn't there.  I like this board  and I love AC. I think that we are all so unique and wonderful that we should have fun and enjoy our accomplishment s.

I hate that about Twitter too.  I think the motto for Twitter should be, "Don't like what I say?  Then don't follow me."  I try not to follow Drama Llamas, Negative Nancies, or Debbie Downers, because all the bitching, complaining, and general negativity annoys me, too.  That way, I can just stay out of it and not worry about it.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

I hate that about Twitter too.  I think the motto for Twitter should be, "Don't like what I say?  Then don't follow me."  I try not to follow Drama Llamas, Negative Nancies, or Debbie Downers, because all the bitching, complaining, and general negativity annoys me, too.  That way, I can just stay out of it and not worry about it.

This. LOL. I unfollow the moment someone's tweets start annoying the living crap out of me.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »

Would just like to point out I was not offended by anything people have been saying on here ot twitter. I have just been a little burned out from everything going on in my life lately. We are all entitled to our opinions. I am gonna keep writing what I like. :) 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »

Thanks for the FYO mention, Julie, I appreciate it!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »

You're welcome!  And I'm glad you weren't offended by anything that was said about romance, here or on Twitter.  Like I said earlier, speaking for what I saw anyway, the point was certainly not to attack the genre or anyone who writes in it.
~Julie

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »

I've only read the last two pages and it helped me a lot to be more secure about my writing! I have been having trouble with writing far too long and it's pissing me off. Everytime I get an idea about a story I'm writing or an idea for a brand new story, the first thoughts I get are "How many people will like it? Will anyone like it at all? What if barely anyone likes it?" and then I go like "Nah I won't write today". It goes like that EVERY single time I feel like writing or get an idea. I shouldn't write what others like to read. I should write what I like to write. Not too long ago, I noticed that my first BSB fanfic actually had pretty many reviews for someone who wasn't familiar with BSB fanfic at all. Even though it had the cliche of alcoholic AJ, it still had many readers. But I stopped writing it because it's a cliche. I did enjoy writing it though (although I have to change things cause at some point it switches from 3rd to 1st person, I still facepalm myself for that LOL). I might rewrite it sometime.

Right now, I'm writing a story (not posted) and I really like the idea of it. Tracy read the first bit and really helped me with giving good feedback. But my insecurity is holding me back. I hate it! So, reading all of your opinions made me more secure.

To get back to the original topic, I like to read romance as long as it doesn't get all mushy and when the couple only kiss and hug in each chapter and do nothing else LOL
I'm trying to mix several genres into the story I'm currently writing. I like to write romance but try not to focus on the relationship too much because if I would, I'd run out of inspiration/ideas real soon lol

I pretty much like to read several genres. Romance, Drama, Suspense, Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy.. it just depends on my mood. As long as the plot is good, I'll keep reading it. The only thing I can't read is Slash. I tried to, but it's just not my thing 'cause everything I read, plays like a movie in my mind so when I read about AJ and Brian getting it on... uh.. lmao! Nah. But if people like to write Slash, they should. :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »

Aww good! I'm glad this discussion helped you be more confident, Imke.Writing is such a learning process. I feel like i'm learning something new everyday and I LOVE reading other people's opinions on things because so many times I find myself wondering if it's just me that thinks a certain way and i'm always thrilled to see that it's usually not.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »

Not too long ago, I noticed that my first BSB fanfic actually had pretty many reviews for someone who wasn't familiar with BSB fanfic at all. Even though it had the cliche of alcoholic AJ, it still had many readers. But I stopped writing it because it's a cliche. I did enjoy writing it though (although I have to change things cause at some point it switches from 3rd to 1st person, I still facepalm myself for that LOL). I might rewrite it sometime.

You should!  You know, we talk a lot about cliches, but I don't think cliches are all bad.  Usually, story elements that are overdone are that way because they're GOOD!  There's something about them that makes a lot of people want to write them.  The trick is to bring something new to freshen the idea up, so it's not just the same old, stale cliche.  It's not easy, but it can be done.

Best friends falling in love?  Way overdone, but with the right characters and the right author behind them, it can still make for a good romance.

Stalker/kidnapping/hostage stories?  I've read three suspenses written in the last year with those sorts of premises, and I loved all three of them just as much as I loved the stalker/kidnapping/hostage fanfics I was reading a decade ago LOL.

The old bus crash story?  Haven't seen one of those in awhile, but if one popped up and was well-written, you bet I'd read it!

Cancer stories?  *Cough* Um, I wouldn't have half the readers I do if I didn't keep revisiting that cliche.

So definitely, don't let the fact that it's a cliche stop you from writing.  If you enjoyed it, and the readers enjoyed it, go for it!!!  That's what matters.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11