Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: The romantic debate  (Read 28478 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The romantic debate
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:16 PM »

Yeah, if I'm gonna read romance, I much prefer romantic tearjerkers to romantic comedies.  I'm the same way with movies; I HATE romantic comedies, but give me a movie like Titanic, The Notebook, Moulin Rouge?  Oh hell yeah!  Then I'm a hopeless romantic.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

Yes! Romances are best when they do not have a happy ending!

Just out of curiousity, raise your hand if you have NOT killed Nick a story?

*raises hand* am I the only one? LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »

I think I've killed Nick four times, but I don't even really count the two "recent" times because one was when he was an old man at the end of the story, and the other was for that horror challenge story I wrote, not for a real novel.  The two times I legitimately killed him in a novel were over ten years ago, so it's been awhile.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »

lmao it's been awhile. Poor Nick.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »

I only killed Nick in that April fools challenge where we had to write something totally out of the box and post under a different screenname... but I guess that still counts lmao. Poor Nick. It was Howie who killed him, if that makes it better!

And I'll agree with everyone who said they love tearjerker romance. I love romance that has sad aspects to it and an unconventional happy ending. Like Titanic. I love that movie, it's my favourite romance of all time lol. I also loved A Walk to Remember so yeah... romances where someone dies at the end are thumbs up in my book! That, and the characters at least have to come out of the story having learned something about themselves.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »

Howie killing Nick trumps my four!  Thumbs up to that LOL.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »

I don't think I've killed Nick or any of the other boys in my stories...yet!  But then again, I can't remember some of the stuff I've written, so I might've already killed one or two off.

I love romantic comedies and tear-jerkers.  I'd say Titanic and Bridget Jones are two of my favourite films.  Also love reading Nicholas Sparks books, some of those have had me in tears because he always kills someone off.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »

My all time favorite romantic comedy is My Best Friend's Wedding because she doesn't get the guy in the end and that is realistic!

I love Titanic and was the only one who lauughed when Jack died. Not so much how he died but more like her reaction saying she'd never forget him as she pried his hand off of her as she was saying it. LOL I don't know...just stuck me funny. I got a few nudges from friends for that one.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

Yes! Romances are best when they do not have a happy ending!

Just out of curiousity, raise your hand if you have NOT killed Nick a story?

*raises hand* am I the only one? LOL

I was about to be like I haven't killed Nick... except ... oh yeah... yeah I totally did and it was brutal ... lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »

I love Titanic and was the only one who lauughed when Jack died. Not so much how he died but more like her reaction saying she'd never forget him as she pried his hand off of her as she was saying it. LOL I don't know...just stuck me funny. I got a few nudges from friends for that one.

I LAUGHED TOO! (we do share a brain after all)

For days I kept saying "come back... come BACK..." to people and they got all pissy.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »

LMAO and I also kept saying during the Notebook "OMG this is soo boring DIE ALREADY!" I'm such a romantic at heart.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

I was about to be like I haven't killed Nick... except ... oh yeah... yeah I totally did and it was brutal ... lol

Uh...yeah lol I mean I've carved MINE into him but at least never actually killed him.  Well technically not even me, it's Brian's fault.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »

My all time favorite romantic comedy is My Best Friend's Wedding because she doesn't get the guy in the end and that is realistic!

Me too, Mare!  My Best Friend's Wedding is one of two romantic comedies I actually do enjoy.  The Wedding Singer is the other one.

Aww... I still cry at Titanic, but I can appreciate the humor of that.  "I'll never let go," she says, seconds before prying his frozen hand off the door and letting him sink into the sea.  LOL
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »

I have not killed Nick in any of my stories. I have had him overdose....ca r accident....bu llied...abused ....tortured.. .raped...but not killed. That might be something to try. I have never had the heart to kill any of the boys.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »

Me too, Mare!  My Best Friend's Wedding is one of two romantic comedies I actually do enjoy.  The Wedding Singer is the other one.

Aww... I still cry at Titanic, but I can appreciate the humor of that.  "I'll never let go," she says, seconds before prying his frozen hand off the door and letting him sink into the sea.  LOL

I suppose when you look at it that way, it is kind of funny!  I watched Titanic recently, still makes me sad when Jack dies.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11