Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Article in TIME about Fan Fiction  (Read 4275 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Article in TIME about Fan Fiction
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »

A friend tweeted this to me. It doesn't really delve into RPG fanfic, like what most of us here write...but I found it really interesting.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,2081784,00.html
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Article in TIME about Fan Fiction
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »

I loved that article, particularly this passage:

Naomi Novik, whose Temeraire novels are best sellers and have been optioned by Peter Jackson, who directed the Lord of the Rings movies, writes fan fiction. "Fanfic writing isn't work, it's joyful play," she says. "The problem is that for most people, any kind of writing looks like work to them, so they get confused why anyone would want to write fanfic instead of original professional material, even though they don't have any problem understanding why someone would want to mess around on a guitar playing Simon and Garfunkel."
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »

I love that too. People don't get that we write just for the love of writing. We do it because it's fun, and it makes us happy.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

What a fantastic article.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

I agree, that was a great article, really explained fanfic perfectly.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:05:53 AM »

Great article!  I like how it cleared up some misconceptions about fanfic and its writers.  It's also interesting to consider how many published novels there are that are essentially works of fanfic, but for profit.

Also, this part made me laugh:

The same site also has 87 examples of Tetris fan fiction, which are a showcase for the resourcefulnes s of writers spinning stories from the thinnest of threads: "L-block has just found out that his life partner, Square block, was cheating on him with his brother, Inverse L-block ..."
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »

Great quote that sums it all up:

"I've been in fandom since early 2005, when I was getting ready to turn 12," says Kelli Joyce. "For me, starting so young, fanfic became my English teacher, my sex-ed class, my favorite hobby and the source of some of my dearest friends. It also provided me with a crash course in social justice and how to respect and celebrate diversity, both of characters and fic writers."

Not so sure about the social justice part, but English and grammar? Check! Sex-ed? Double Check! (LOL I often joke that I've learned everything I needed to know about sex from reading Forever by Judy Blume and BSB fan fiction.) A favorite hobby? Definitely! Meeting close friends? I think forums like this speak for themselves.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »

I liked that quote too; it's so true!!  I've learned so much about writing from fanfic and made friends from all over the world.  Hell, even the sex ed thing is true for me too LOL.  My high school didn't teach sex ed, but I made up for it reading visuals and YM.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »

Great article!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

Really interesting article! I especially liked this quote:

"It's also an intensely social, communal activity. Like punk rock, fan fiction is inherently inclusive, and people spend as much time hanging out talking to one another about it as they do reading and writing it."
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »

Really interesting article! I especially liked this quote:

"It's also an intensely social, communal activity. Like punk rock, fan fiction is inherently inclusive, and people spend as much time hanging out talking to one another about it as they do reading and writing it."

That article really summed up what fanfic and the community that comes from it. :) I also love that JK Rowling supports it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »

There was a brief segment on Harry Potter fanfic on the CBS Evening News last night.  Fanfic's going mainstream; I love it! LOL

I had never heard of fanfic before discovering my first BSB story, so it's nice that the media is starting to get the word out a little bit and explaining it so it doesn't sound quite so weird LOL.

Like the article said, it does seem like the kind of nerdy hobby you'd expect a guy in his late thirties who lives in his mom's basement to be doing; I had to laugh at this quote:
"Fan-fiction writers aren't guys who live in their parents' basements. They aren't even all guys. If anything, anecdotal evidence suggests that most fan fiction is written by women."

It's great to show that a lot (maybe not all) of fanfic writers are normal adults with actual lives - families, friends, careers, other interests and hobbies.  I still won't go shouting to the world that I write Backstreet Boys fanfic, but it does help explain it for the people in my life who DO know - and think it's weird LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »

I thought I heard the word fanfic when I was switching channels last night. LOL I usually watch NBC nightly news but changed to CBS at the very ending. Must have just missed it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »

Yeah, it was at the very end, the last segment.  It was pretty short, nothing super interesting; it just mentioned how, even though Harry Potter's ending, fans will keep it alive through fanfic, and it explained what fanfic was and had interviews with a HP fanfic writer and the creator of Mugglenet.com.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

I kinda wish RPG fanfic would get mentioned lmao, cause it seems to be the section fanfiction writers find weird haha. But I love that it's getting more mainstream. We DO have lives. It also sounds weird and I remember trying to explain it to my parents when my mom saw me writing it on my computer lmao. Awkward conversation as a teen. It's just nice seeing it get defined better.

Pages: [1] 2