Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 46432 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »

we post the survey here too?
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »

yes
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.
Tooth Fairy – Carterkid
I feel that fantasy is a good fit for this story, a little bit of comedy.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?
No, I probably would not have read this story if not for the challenge.

3) What was your favorite scene?
I like the scene where AJ gets told he has to serve his sentence as a tooth fairy.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
I liked Alan the best.  He added a nice humor to the story.  The story was so short I didn't get a feel for any one character though.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.
I think if the author did a revision and fixed some of the structural errors, maybe expanded the story a bit, that this would be a cute read if you are just looking for a quick fic to read.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?
The genre does not determine whether I read a story or not.  I typically go off of the summary. 
7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
I've said it a few times, grammar and structure.  I know these weren't long chapters, they could definitely use a little more to help with the storyline, flow and character development.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.
The flow... the chapters seemed choppy and quick which affected how the story flowed for me.  The structure of the chapters also gave me a little trouble and I found I had to go back and re-read parts a few times.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
Like I said above.  I think if you are looking for a cute quick read, I would recommend this fic.

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?
3 – I think Carterkid has a great idea, I know it is also a crossover fic for Tooth Fairy with The Rock, but I think she could definitely take what she has, fix the structure and expand on it more and she would have a more interesting story. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2011, 11:57:54 PM »

At last wohoo! Sorry for the long wait on my first review on my challenge story! But work was hectic today, anywho I did read the first two chapters of A little taste of sin and I must say that even though it does have romance I do feel it's a challenge. I rarely read Nick romance so it is hard for me. So I should start duh! okay so I think this story is very detailed each chapter that I've read so far is full of detail in what the main character is feeling. which makes me feel like I understand the choices she is making. Aside from
 that and a couple of spelling errors I have to say I am intrigued and will continue to read and post more as I go. Well I should get to it it's seems some of you are already done Yikes! I Still have a lot to go!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:59:37 PM by summer03 »
"I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream." Vincent Van Gogh

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »

I started reading My Mona Lisa this morning (quiet day in work :) )

OK, I've read two chapters so far and find that it tends to jump a bit.  I got confused who was who in some places and think the comma use didn't really help matters.  I also find it odd that a 23 year old who comes from money would look so bad and not attempt to look nice for her new job, especially if she's the public face of the company.  I would expect that more from a teenager than a 23 year old.

Anyway, I'll carry on reading and come back with more reviews as I read :)

Hey steph,

I have noted this and will definetly fix this. I was excited to know you were going to read my story as you know I am a fan of some of your work. Ok well I hope you can understand better as you go and just a tid bit here in the USA you will see adults with braces... I know it sounds weird but true. I am ready for more! 

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm getting a bit confused with this main character.  She started off as Mona and now seems to be called either Lisa or Lizzie?

Onwards I go though!  I do like the idea of AJ helping to transform her though and it's good to see that they are getting along.

Okay noted. Well her name is Mona Lisa but I see what you mean. I am taking notes Steph. :) please continue

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »

All finished :)

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.

Story- Games by Carter-Orange
Genre- Suspense

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?

It had been recommended to me by a friend but I never thought about reading it before.

3) What was your favorite scene?

I loved the scene of AJ and Nick running in the woods.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?

AJ....he was very funny.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.

It is a quick read and a good suspenseful and fun story if you like Backstreet Boys and Supernatural.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?

I am starting to like suspense more and am curious about the show Supernatural.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.

I felt that the story could have been longet to be honest. I also got lost a few times because I don't watch Supernatural I suppose. I did enjoy the story.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.

Steph asked if it held my interest....it most certainly did...I was hooked after Chapter 5.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not

I would definitely recommend someone to read Steph's stories....I am currently reading her new one Save A Prayer. Games was a good read too.

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?

9 out of 10!!!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:03 AM »

Wow, thanks Tracy and glad you liked it! 

I know it could've been more descriptive, more detailed and longer but that's just the way it came out of my head.  I tend to type up what's in my head and post it straight away.  Maybe I should take more time before posting.

You should definitely watch Supernatural.  I bet you will love it!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2011, 02:23:21 AM »

I said I would start reading Karah's Love This Pain yesterday but failed. Yesterday at work, I moved wrong or something and now my shoulder and neck hurt like hell. I couldn't even focus on my work, so I figured it'd be better to start reading it when it doesn't hurt that much, which is today. :)

And Tracy, you should watch Supernatural (also because there's a lot of nice eye candy hehe). I love the show. I've got 5 seasons on dvd. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:25:47 AM by TheDistantHeart »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »

I am 10 chapters through October Rd so I thought i'd post some overall thoughts in here. As I said before, this isn't something i'd normally read. So I walked into it very hesitantly.

We start out with Alex who is about to leave for Julliard to pursue his dreams. His high school sweetheart Krystle was going to NY as well. We find out in the first chapter this isn't the case. I was surprised to see the next chapter jump ahead 6 years and the cute high school couple is no more. Alex is now on broadway and comes home to find his new girlfriend cheating on him. This chases him back to his house on October Road where he left Krystle all those year ago. Hence the title... lol

This is definitely a romance but there hasn't been any romance so far which kind of strays from the sterotypical.

Alex is a nice strong and likeable character and his parents are also fun to read. They have a nice family bond and Krystle (author) does a great job at showing us that. I'm not too sure how I feel about the female lead yet. Her name is also Krystle, which you know is a giant pet peeve of mine lol I want to like her but honestly her weird bond with Alex's parents kind of creeps me out. And the fact that she made his family lie about a child that isn't even Alex's (as of now anyway). I don't want to go into detail because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may want to read.

So far, i'm enjoying it, although it is a little slow paced. There is a lot of dialogue which I tend to love but in this case, it seems to be slowing the overall plot down a bit. I do like the fact that this relationship isn't going to be a simple matter of love at second sight. The female lead seems very hesitant to get into a relationship with Alex which makes her more complex. The only thing that really should be fixed is Brian's last name. With people who are so into BSB, it might be a detraction to see Litrell instead of Littrell. Honestly, if I was just skimming through a story and saw one of their names not spelled correctly it would be enough for me to click out of the story, but then again, i'm anal. LOL

I'll be back after the next ten! :)

Good job Sapphire!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:51:44 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »

I love seeing your thoughts on this! Especially since like Julie said, in the first episode, there were 11 of us writing it lol. That's not easy at all. So it's impressive it flows. And thanks for catching that continuity flaw! I'm in shock Julie missed it LOL.  >:( (kidding... :-*)

This episode like you said, was just a way to really introduce the characters and get the setup of the agency out of the way. So that it wouldn't be hard to keep up with all the characters. :)

I love this challenge cause it brings in new perspectives.

I cannot even imagine how that possibly worked and being that there were so many authors working on it, it is not choppy and moves pretty seamlessly which is hard to accomplish with so many different writing styles. I'm actually really curious as to how you guys put it together. As someone else mentioned in this thread I also love to hear the story behind the story.

I am getting ready to read some more now that AC is back up again.

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »

At last wohoo! Sorry for the long wait on my first review on my challenge story! But work was hectic today, anywho I did read the first two chapters of A little taste of sin and I must say that even though it does have romance I do feel it's a challenge. I rarely read Nick romance so it is hard for me. So I should start duh! okay so I think this story is very detailed each chapter that I've read so far is full of detail in what the main character is feeling. which makes me feel like I understand the choices she is making. Aside from
 that and a couple of spelling errors I have to say I am intrigued and will continue to read and post more as I go. Well I should get to it it's seems some of you are already done Yikes! I Still have a lot to go!

Thanks Summer! Take your time because I know my story is a long one. I'm glad that you find the details in the story helpful especially in the beginning. It is actually a sequel, but I tried to introduce as much backstory in the beginning so that a new reader did not necessarily need to read the first story to enjoy this one.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »

I cannot even imagine how that possibly worked and being that there were so many authors working on it, it is not choppy and moves pretty seamlessly which is hard to accomplish with so many different writing styles. I'm actually really curious as to how you guys put it together. As someone else mentioned in this thread I also love to hear the story behind the story.

I am getting ready to read some more now that AC is back up again.

Thanks!  Looking back, I'm not sure how we did either LOL.  Most of us didn't know each other very well; the whole idea was conceived here on this forum, and Rose took whoever signed up for it.  Luckily, almost all of the eleven turned out to be good writers, and that's probably the only reason it flows as well as it does in the first episode or two, because we were still getting to know each other and figure out the tone of the story.

The way we've always written it is, we get together in a big group chat to plan out each episode; Rose organizes our ideas into an outline, which she posts online for everyone to see; the outline is divided into specific scenes or parts, and everyone claims a part to write.  We usually wait our turn and write the episode in order, which helps to keep the flow and not leave big gaps.  It works out pretty well; the only problem we have is if someone takes forever to write their part, it holds the rest of us up, and that's why we only update once in a blue moon.  But it's a lot of fun, and I don't think it's a story one person - not me, anyway LOL - could have pulled off on her own.  It takes all of us putting our heads together to make it work.  Thanks for asking! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »

finished stockholm syndrome.  I will fill out the survey when I get home. 

I had a hard time making notes of anything just because I was too into the story.  Only very minor "spelling/incorrect word" errors but really nothing more then I have in my own. 

I am glad I read this, it was a great distraction and a fantastic read.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »

I am 10 chapters through October Rd so I thought i'd post some overall thoughts in here. As I said before, this isn't something i'd normally read. So I walked into it very hesitantly.

We start out with Alex who is about to leave for Julliard to pursue his dreams. His high school sweetheart Krystle was going to NY as well. We find out in the first chapter this isn't the case. I was surprised to see the next chapter jump ahead 6 years and the cute high school couple is no more. Alex is now on broadway and comes home to find his new girlfriend cheating on him. This chases him back to his house on October Road where he left Krystle all those year ago. Hence the title... lol

This is definitely a romance but there hasn't been any romance so far which kind of strays from the sterotypical.

Alex is a nice strong and likeable character and his parents are also fun to read. They have a nice family bond and Krystle (author) does a great job at showing us that. I'm not too sure how I feel about the female lead yet. Her name is also Krystle, which you know is a giant pet peeve of mine lol I want to like her but honestly her weird bond with Alex's parents kind of creeps me out. And the fact that she made his family lie about a child that isn't even Alex's (as of now anyway). I don't want to go into detail because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may want to read.

So far, i'm enjoying it, although it is a little slow paced. There is a lot of dialogue which I tend to love but in this case, it seems to be slowing the overall plot down a bit. I do like the fact that this relationship isn't going to be a simple matter of love at second sight. The female lead seems very hesitant to get into a relationship with Alex which makes her more complex. The only thing that really should be fixed is Brian's last name. With people who are so into BSB, it might be a detraction to see Litrell instead of Littrell. Honestly, if I was just skimming through a story and saw one of their names not spelled correctly it would be enough for me to click out of the story, but then again, i'm anal. LOL

I'll be back after the next ten! :)

Good job Sapphire!

I'm glad you like it so far. The relationship between Alex and his parents was important to me. I wanted him to be close to both of them so I"m glad that comes across well. AS for as her relationship with them, hopefully that will be more understood later on and not seem so "creepy." In chapter 5 she explains to him why she didn't want them to tell him. She was ashamed of hereslf. But she will explain that more in the future as well. Thank you for your comments.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16