Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!  (Read 36566 times)

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story. Readers would love how funny it is but may have a hard time knowing who's who. I can't tell you who is saying what!I think there should be something to let you know who's talking.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
  I'm not good at giving concrit but I would say give more details to who's talking.

After really looking at this, I think the confusion may come from my personal style of writing...I get annoyed with the constant "he said, she said" stuff after every piece of dialog...for whatever reason, I can't stand the redundancy of it. So generally I use the paragraph that accompanies the dialog, to show who is actually saying it. For example...

"Smooth move McLean!" Oh sure...now HE is ganging up against me too...perfect!

Because (AJ) McLean is being addressed in the statement...an d there are only two men in the story at this point, the "he" is supposed to point to Howie as the speaker. Usually the sentence following the statement should indicate who is speaking...it's just not as direct as "Howie said". I hope this helps clear up your confusion and I will work on trying to make it more clear, from now on.

Thank you for reading the story though...I'm really glad you liked it, despite the confusion you had over the dialog. I really DO hope you continue to read.  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »

Thanks for reading the story Kristal. I know this one is a rough one to start with to get introduced into the world of suspense. I'm glad you enjoyed  it and stuck with it, and okay maybe i'll fix the dialogue punctuation... one day. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2011, 11:38:18 PM »

Totally butting in to say, I'd like to hope everyone here could separate personal feelings to be fair to a story. :) Cause that'd be pretty messed up if they couldn't LOL.

LOL You never know! There's some crazies out there! Nah, I know nobody taking part in this would do that. I guess I'm just so used to getting feedback from people who are used to my writing and stuff.

myconfession

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

You dont have to worry, Karah. I dont dislike you and even if i did, i wouldnt let that influence my opinion on your story. ;) But i know some people would and thats too bad.

LOL Well I'm glad you liked it <3 I can't wait to see what you think of the end lol

summer03

• Captain of Commotion
  • hmmm....
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »

Ok sorry for the lack of my appearance but, my computer officially hates me and died. I was out of town this weekend too so didnt read much. I am in reading mode now and I have to say A Little taste of sin is getting interesting by the chapter I am in chapter 11 now. I have to say the story is flowing well and very elaborate, my on little issue is the length of the chapters. But I am getting used to it now... Ok well going to read some more and be back in a few more chapters. Mel sorry for the delay!
"I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream." Vincent Van Gogh

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »

Ok sorry for the lack of my appearance but, my computer officially hates me and died. I was out of town this weekend too so didnt read much. I am in reading mode now and I have to say A Little taste of sin is getting interesting by the chapter I am in chapter 11 now. I have to say the story is flowing well and very elaborate, my on little issue is the length of the chapters. But I am getting used to it now... Ok well going to read some more and be back in a few more chapters. Mel sorry for the delay!

Aww... I am sorry to hear about your computer. I figured that something had probably come up that was unforseen. I am glad though that you are enjoying the story though. I apologize for the chapter length. I tend to be very long winded in my writing and that is something that I am trying to work on.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:33 AM »

Woohoo all done with my reading. Here is my survey!

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors. It Stays With You by Mare. It's definately suspense.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge? I like Mare's stories, so I probably would have given it a try. Although the whole it being Brian would have made me think it twice. (just because he's my least fave bsb)

3) What was your favorite scene? My favorite scene was when he went into the room and told Nick that he had found him. That he was alive. EEEK! I had a knot in my throat it was a touching scene.

4) Who was your favorite character and why? It was definately Brian. He was so torn up inside for himself AND Nick, but he kept strong...his friendship with Nick kept him going.  

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story. It's just a really awesome story, that brings out many emotions and keeps you guessing.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it? I will definately try reading more suspense.  

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative. I'm not good at concrit, but I did notice that sometimes the dialogue for different characters was on the same line. Of course, this is one of Mare's older stories and by now she's mastered that little glitch. lol.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different...Di d you have a hard time reading the more disturbing parts of the story and did it keep you interested to find out what happens next?
For the most part I didn't find it hard to read the disturbing parts, although they did make me cringe. The only one that gave me goosebumps was the one part with Nick and the hair, I kept shuddering just thinking of the pain. OUCH!

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
I would definately recommend this story to another person. Because it's an interesting plot and very well written.

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story? I give it a 9

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?
Doesn't apply to me!

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on? Heck yeah!! Although I'm pretty sure there wont be.

I'm not sure if this thread is done...but I was wondering for those that have already read this story. What was your favorite scene and did you think it would turn out the way it did?

Mare may I know how you came up with the idea for a story like this?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:25:21 AM by kevmylove »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »

Thanks so much Erika! I'm glad you were willing to give this story a chance and that it would make you consider reading more suspense. My first few stories were a mess when it came to dialogue so I know at times it probably was confusing. I think i've gotten better at that now. I know going back and re-reading some older stuff I cringe at that sometimes. That and switching POV but that didn't happen in this one. LOL

How I came up with idea? One of the reasons I named it It Stays With You is because this idea stayed with me forever before I actually was brave enough to start writing it. The plot was so dark and went to places I wasn't sure I wanted to go but it wouldn't leave me be. I knew I wanted it to be Nick and Brian but I wasn't sure who I wanted to tell the story. At first I wanted it to be Nick and Kevin but at the time, I didn't picture Kevin that vulnerable. I couldn't see him agreeing to carve up Nick or anything like that. Like you, Brian is my least favorite BSB so I really struggled with the idea of writing a whole story based around his thoughts and feelings. In the end, I think I made the right choice.  I  did a lot of research on PTSD for this one and that hair scene sadly came from a lot of personal stories I read about how people deal with things like this.

And I had to double check but I actually did write a short story for a challenge on the forum and it's kind of a prequel to this one told through the eyes of the person who did this to the both of them. I always knew I was going to leave this one completely unresolved because like you said in your final review, that's the most realistic conclusion. So I wrote that story for the people who wanted to know a little more. I had forgotten about it until now lol

This is the link: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9728&warning=4

Thanks again! And yay another story for the challenge is finished!

I am almost done with mine too!  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:32:30 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »

All done! :)

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.

I read October Road by Sapphire and I agree with her that it was an AU and a Romance.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?

No, because of the above answer and it's an AJ story.

3) What was your favorite scene?

I really enjoyed the scene after the funeral where Krystle tried to explain to her son why his father wasn't ever coming back.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?

Without a doubt, Jordan because he was all kinds of adorable. LOL

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.

I think this story is perfect for people who enjoy a light, happy read. But if you are more into action and drama/angst you probably might want to skip this one. I can see romance people really enjoying it.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?

Probably not. Nothing against Krystle or the story but I need more action. I'm glad I gave it a try though.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.

Overall it's very well written and flows nicely. My only issue was all the dialogue. Most of the story was split into dialogue which wasn't really integral to the plot of the story. When that happens, it tends to slow things down and makes it a little monotonous. The other thing also in dialogue, once it's mentioned already it doesn't have to be mentioned again and that happens a lot in this. person A tells person B something and then a chapter later it's repeated all over again to person C.

8) Krystle wanted to know if the story was convincing as an AU and the answer was yes. It was completely AU. I'm not sure if Alex shined through as AJ but he's who I pictured when I saw Alex as well as Howie for the principal and Brian for the Ex.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not

I think if someone were to ask for a good AJ romance fic, I would mention it. And yes, I would recommend Sapphire. 

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story? I'd say it's about a 6

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

The story was finished.

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on? 

I think it ended in a perfect place so, no I don't think I would.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

You know after this got started and I thought about my story I put up (Room 438)... LOL I think I stuck romance as a genre to get people to start reading it. LOL I don't it's got romance at all.  But if you notice lately I've been asking other's opinions of adding genres and what not cause sometimes I DO get confused as to what to mark them as. LOL. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »

LMAO so you just put romance so people would read it? How did that work out for you, did it get readers?

I think that's the hardest part for me, trying to figure out what to put for the genre especially if it can fall under a bunch of them.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »

LMAO so you just put romance so people would read it? How did that work out for you, did it get readers?

I think that's the hardest part for me, trying to figure out what to put for the genre especially if it can fall under a bunch of them.

I am not sure if it helped or not... I think I might have used Romance because Kevin and Danielle were getting married, but I don't think it's really a romance.  I don't know what I was thinking that many years ago to know for sure WHY I stuck romance as a genre, but I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T fall into that category.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »

You can go change it. I have done that with my earlier stories that I might have mislabelled. At the beginning of AC there weren't as many genres to pick from either. Like dramedy was added on just a few years ago.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »

I probably will... I'll see what Rachel thinks when she fills out the survey for it. LOL. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

Sometimes it's hard to know what genres to label a story as in the beginning because you really just don't know yet.  Hopefully you know what the main genre will be, but sometimes as the story progresses, you realize it has elements of other genres, too.  We just added sci-fi as a genre to 00Carter as a result of submitting it for the challenge.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11