Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!  (Read 36555 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »

I'm not sure if this thread is done...but I was wondering for those that have already read this story. What was your favorite scene and did you think it would turn out the way it did?

Glad you liked "It Stays With You" so much!  It's a GREAT suspense story!  I've read it a couple of times, although not in awhile, and whenever I think of it, what comes to mind aren't specific scenes so much, as images.  The "MINE" carved into Nick's skin and the preacher with the lobster claw hand are the ones that stand out most.  That disturbing imagery just shows how delightfully twisted Mare can be LOL, and it's the reason I loved this story so much.  It's just unsettling.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

Sometimes it's hard to know what genres to label a story as in the beginning because you really just don't know yet.  Hopefully you know what the main genre will be, but sometimes as the story progresses, you realize it has elements of other genres, too.  We just added sci-fi as a genre to 00Carter as a result of submitting it for the challenge.

cause of the alien stuff... lol... we didn't have that before? lol
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

cause of the alien stuff... lol... we didn't have that before? lol

Nope.  I think we started posting it on AC when we were writing Ice Ice Baby, so we didn't know there would be aliens yet LOL.  But some of Dr. Rough's weapons are pretty sci-fi, so it would have made a good genre either way.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

If I'd known Song For The Undead was now labelled as sci-fi I would've picked it in my sci-fi choices :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »

Not Undead, 00Carter.  Undead could maybe be considered sci-fi because of the zombie virus, but I don't think enough to include that as one of its genres.  It's more just horror.  But thanks anyway, Steph! :)
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different than the authors.

The Best of Both Worlds by Sakabelle. It was definitely drama and romance, but I would disagree that it falls into the angst category. I didn't find it all that angsty!

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?

I don't know. Admittedly, I had seen it on the most recent list many times but had never really felt compelled to read it. I'd say I probably would have if the mood struck though.

3) What was your favorite scene?

Gah. I wish I was filling this out a little closer to the time that I had read it because this is kind of a hard question now lol

I'd say my favourite scene was actually towards the beginning as the story was set up. I really just enjoyed the chemistry between Nick and Dani when they're sitting in the hotel room watching Office Space. I really felt like that were comfortable and casual with each other.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?

Nick was my favourite character. I mentioned this in my reviews, but I really felt like I could hear his voice better than Dani's. I had a really easy time understanding him even though I didn't always agree with his decisions.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.

I thought it was a cute romance and well written, so anyone who would enjoy a relatively quick read would like this one.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?

Eh... I don't know that it converted me to anything. I wouldn't say no to reading another romance, and I definitely like drama, but I think it left me in the same position I was in before.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.

I really felt like I could have gotten more into the story had it been in third person. The first person narrative didn't really flow for me, especially during the Dani chapters. In Nick's chapters he sometimes switches to second person (speaking directly to the audience) but that never happens in Dani's chapters. I felt too like you were far more comfortable speaking in his voice over hers. I really liked his chapters!

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.

I don't think it was too over the top. It didn't come off as cliche as other stories with similar plotlines. I really felt like they were good friends before, and they didn't just jump into bed with each other. It was a while as they both came to the realization that their feelings were more than just friendly.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not

I definitely would! I enjoyed it. Once I got into it I read through the whole thing in one sitting!

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on?

It was finished, and if there were a sequel ... I would probably read it if only to see where the characters ended up.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

Thanks for the final review mare and your comments. I appreciate the feedback and will try to keep some of it in mind as I continue to write. I do appreciate the honest words. Sometimes I really wonder what people think so I'm glad to see your comments.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »

Glad you liked "It Stays With You" so much!  It's a GREAT suspense story!  I've read it a couple of times, although not in awhile, and whenever I think of it, what comes to mind aren't specific scenes so much, as images.  The "MINE" carved into Nick's skin and the preacher with the lobster claw hand are the ones that stand out most.  That disturbing imagery just shows how delightfully twisted Mare can be LOL, and it's the reason I loved this story so much.  It's just unsettling.

LOL thanks Julie! I enjoy being delightfully twisted. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »

Thanks for the final review mare and your comments. I appreciate the feedback and will try to keep some of it in mind as I continue to write. I do appreciate the honest words. Sometimes I really wonder what people think so I'm glad to see your comments.

You're welcome Krystle! I'm really glad I read your story. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »

Hi All!

Just doing my weekly check in with everyone. This week a few more of us finished this challenge. So a big yay to:

Kristal
Erika
Mare
carterkid

That's 11 of us, not bad!!

New homework assignments for everyone, I know that it's getting to be mid August which means back to school for a lot of us, this might be more difficult but then again if you've been keeping yourself on track you should be almost done. You have all done a great job catching up and participating in this challenge and I thank you for that. Nothing irks me more than volunteering to do something and then not particiapting. Mare's BIGGEST pet peeve is irresponsiblit y and yes, in this case it's just fanfic but if you flake on this chances are you flake on other things as well.

We're going to try to get you guys to the halfway mark.

Okay homework assignments to be completed by next monday (8/15)

Darby, your goal is to hit chapter 17. I know you've been ill. Hope you feel better soon!

Summer, your goal is to reach chapter 30.

Rose, your goal is to reach chapter 25.

If I didn't mention your name that means you are already past the halfway point of your stories. I'm hoping some of you will be finishing up this week. It looks like Rachel and Imke have a very few chapters left to read before they are done.

I would also like to apologize to either Rose or Julie on behalf of Saka Steph who for whatever reason just isn't reading. I have been posting in this thread about it plus have sent a PM and still haven't heard back. I have no idea what's going on but if someone would like to pick up the slack and read? At least Mel is reading it so you both have gotten feedback which is nice.

I'll be posting up that writer's survey next week for all of you to fill out about your experience. So far it seems like everyone has enjoyed this challenge.

YAY! :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »

Heeeey... I posted my survey yesterday, don't I get props too? :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

Yes, yay to posting your survey! I already gave you props last week for finishing! lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »

Oh lol must have been when I was MIA. Nevermind!
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

That's okay, one can never get too many props yo! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »

Thanks for the update, Mare!  If anyone else feels like reading 00Carter, go for it, but don't feel obligated - Mel has been awesome about giving us feedback, so neither Rose or I feel like we haven't gotten anything in return for reading other people's stories.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11