Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comedy Tonight!  (Read 3686 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Comedy Tonight!
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »

What's everyone's thoughts on comedies in fanficland?

Do you enjoy writing them or reading them?

For me, I find a fine line between comedies being smart and just plain stupid so, I tend to stay away from them unless it's got some drama in it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Comedy Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »

What's everyone's thoughts on comedies in fanficland?

Do you enjoy writing them or reading them?

For me, I find a fine line between comedies being smart and just plain stupid so, I tend to stay away from them unless it's got some drama in it.

I agree with this, comedies could either be dumb or funny. I tend to not do flat our humor. It's more I like to sprinkle in comic relief in my stories. The one exception to this is 00Carter, which is more a parody. And in that one, I constantly wonder if stuff I think is funny, is funny to others LOL. Cause we all know my sense of humor is a little warped.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »

I have written two comedies and have thought the same way about both. One I thought was flat out stupid but the other I do think is legitimately funny but I sometimes think i'm the only one. lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »

Awwww lol. Humor is totally subjective too, so you're never sure if it'll be funny to others.

As a reader, I'm REALLY picky about comedies. Nine times out of ten I won't click on them unless someone I know with a similar sense of humor recommends it to me. I'm more of a Dramedy person in terms of reading, and am attempting my first Dramedy in terms of writing. (which if that fails I'll change the genre and we won't speak of it lmao :P)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

myconfession

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

I think the person has to have at least a decent sense of humor to be able to write it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

I especially hate when comedies are laced with inside jokes that only the author and one or two readers would understand but to everyone else it makes no sense at all. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »

I pretty much agree with what's been said.  I love a good parody/spoof, but other than that, I don't read many comedies.  I like comic relief in tense situations, but I much prefer drama/angst/suspense/horror to full-out comedy.  Like others have said, comedy is subjective, and it's a fine line between FUNNY funny, stupid funny, and just plain stupid LOL.

I try to include comic relief in my own stories when I can, but the only true comedies I've written are both parodies.  00Carter, which spoofs the James Bond spy stuff and anything else in pop culture we think to parody, and Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic, which is a spoof of all the bad, overused teenybopper fanfic cliches I've been able to work into it.  I've enjoyed writing both, but to be honest, comedy is tough!  I think I have a good sense of humor as far as being able to appreciate comedy, but it's not easy to be funny and come up with the jokes.  I have to be in a certain mindset to do it, and when it's there, it's there, and when it's not, it's really not LOL.  I think I've come up with some good stuff for 00Carter, but it takes every ounce of my creativity to do so.  I'm better programmed to write serious stuff.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »

It's weird but I don't consider parodies to be in the comedy category lol i'm not sure why. I guess when we wrote 5 BSB in Search of a Plot, that could be considered a comedy even though in my mind it's just a spoof.

I enjoy writing comedy into my stories especially to break up the tension but I do think it's hard to be funny for an entire story. Five Santa's too Many was probably one of the hardest things i've ever written. Comedy of Errors was the second hardest because I started writing it backwards to forwards. Boy, that was a hot mess! LOL I almost picked that one to be my story. I thought about it for a milisecond before deciding not to torture anyone with it. Maybe some of the slackers!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »

Yeah, I would totally consider 5 BSB to be a comedy.  I mean, that's what parodies and spoofs are; they're poking fun at something else in a comedic way.  I can probably count on one hand the number of fanfic comedies I've read that WEREN'T parodies, especially if I'm not including dramedies.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why in my mind I didn't even go to parodies. I guess I put them in my own little category. There's a fine line betwen funny and stupid with those things too. I generally hate parodies (movie form, tv form and music forms)fanfic ones are some of the only kinds I enjoy, for the most part.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »

5 BSBs is my one of my faves, I think I listed it as my comedy choice in the conversion thread lol. Parodies are pretty much the form of comedy I love the most. Generally speaking, comedy is a bit like romance for me. It's great when used well, and is usually best in combination with something else (like in a Dramedy).

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »

Parodies can definitely turn stupid easily.  It just depends who's behind them and what kind of sense of humor they have.  When South Park parodies something, for example, it's usually funny and clever.  When it's the Wayans brothers doing all those Scary Movies and all the spin-offs, eh, not so much.  It's a fine line there, too.  But that makes me appreciate a good parody all the more.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »

Right. Parodies can go south real quick too. South Park is a great example of a clever parody that goes after everything it can think of LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

Ugh I HATE those stupid Scary movie parodies lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »

They are pretty bad... like killing brain cells bad.  I feel stupider after watching them, and if I actually laugh at any part of them, I take it as a sign that I'm definitely stupider.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2