Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now it's Suspense's turn!! Find out what happens next!  (Read 3323 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Now it's Suspense's turn!! Find out what happens next!
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »

So, what is it about suspense that you love? Or love to hate?

Those of you that write it, what drives you to do it? Does it ever bother you to think that maybe you are crossing a line?

What's the darkest thing you have ever written or read?

For those of you who read it, what is it about suspense that keeps you coming back and are there any stories that even you had to click away from because they were too disturbing in nature?

People who aren't fans, what is it about the genre that makes you stay away?

Do you feel like Suspense is over rated or under rated?

Discuss...
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Now it's Suspense's turn!! Find out what happens next!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »

oh my gosh I love suspense.  I don't think I'm particuarly the best at writing it but I love to attempt it.  I like wanting to know what is going to happen. I like to be a little scared, not horror film scared, but just enough to make you sleep with the dog for "protection". The biggest thing my dog can protect me from is a fly, but I feel better witt him there.  LOL.

I want people to wonder what is going to happen.   I like to try to keep them guessing!  I don't feel that I am crossing a line.  It is fiction after all.

I don't think any of my suspense is that dark.

I know I'm not adding anything for discussion.  I've written many but I'm not sure how good I am at it. LOL. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »

I love suspense. It keeps you guessing, it keeps you reading really close to try and find any clues you can to figure out what's going on. I hate not knowing, but I love hating that LOL.

Um...crossing a line? Honestly, I don't see any haha. I mean I haven't killed a Backstreet kid yet, but I've killed the Boys, their wives, fictional kids...more times than I can count, generally speaking LOL. It's all fiction, so what's the harm?

Darkest thing I've written? Um...well I haven't written a suspense yet. (I've toyed with ideas but I haven't put them into action yet). But I'd say all the times I've killed the Boys (and have it not be in humor lol).

When it comes to suspense, there is NO level that's too disturbing. I'm a lover of disturbing in suspense fics, a lover of gore. There's no going too far when it comes to that! I'm horribly twisted that way LOL.

I'd say suspense is right in the middle. It gets a lot of love, but it's not overrated.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

I LOVE suspense!!  I love it because, whether it moves fast or slow, a good suspense will always keep you clicking ahead to the next chapter, wanting to read more (or drive you nuts waiting for the next chapter!).  Suspense storylines are almost always interesting and full of drama, tension, and fear.  I love that!

Those of you that write it, what drives you to do it? Does it ever bother you to think that maybe you are crossing a line?
I read more suspense than I actually write; it's not an easy genre for me to write, but I do enjoy it because it's a fun challenge.  I like putting my characters in tense and scary situations, even though it's sometimes tough to find a way out of them.  I LOVE leaving cliffhangers.  And we all know I love torturing the Boys, whether physically or emotionally, and suspense is a good genre to do that in.

If there's a "line," I probably cross it in every story I write, so no, it doesn't bother me LOL.  Would I want the guys or their families reading my fanfics?  No.  Do I still enjoy writing them, and do fans enjoy reading them?  Yes.  That's all that matters to me.  I write for myself and my audience, not the guys, and fanfic comes with the disclaimer that it's just FICTION, written by a FAN, so hopefully everyone gets that I would never wish any of the stuff I write about on the guys for real.  :P

Suspense-wise?  For writing, probably the two challenge stories I did for here, "Watch Me As I Bleed" and "In Pieces."  For reading, probably one of Mare's stories (Lurks or It Stays) or Bobbi's "Signal to Noise."  There's some pretty twisted stuff in that one, but it's an awesome story!

For those of you who read it, what is it about suspense that keeps you coming back and are there any stories that even you had to click away from because they were too disturbing in nature?
I always come back to suspense because, like I said before, as long as they're decently-written, they're almost always interesting stories.  I don't get bored reading suspense, even when it moves slowly.  I don't think anything in a story could disturb me too much to make me click away.  In fact, the more disturbing, the better!  I love to be shocked and grossed out.  Torture, gore, bring it on!!

I'm a fan!!

Neither.  I think suspense is like drama, right there in the middle.  I don't know many people who don't like suspense.  A lot of people read it, and a decent number of people write it, but it doesn't dominate the site like certain other genres do.  In fact, I wish there were more good suspense stories being updated right now!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »

^ I've been wanting to write another suspense story, especially after reading FYO by DelphinaCarter .
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »

Yay!  Last summer was a good one for suspense, between FYO, Lurks, and Last Christmas.  I'd love to see more suspense on the site!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »

Me too! hopefully it'll have a rebirth like Sci-Fi did this summer.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »

LOL I like this trend of a resurgence of genres each summer.  Last summer was a good one for angst, too.  Steph's got us on track of the return of adventure/survival stories; I'd love to see more of those too!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »

And it's especially nice to see people trying something new like Tracy last summer and Steph this summer. Going out of their confort zones and starting new trends. Always a nice thing to see.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »

Yep!  Maybe next summer we'll all write slash LOL.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »

Yep!  Maybe next summer we'll all write slash LOL.

I wouldn't go THAT far! ;)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »

LOL that would be pretty funny.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »

I love suspense!  I love how a good suspense has you on the edge of your seat, desperate for more.  I love all the twists and the way authors keep us guessing.

I've only written a couple of suspense stories, and I wrote them because I love the genre and wanted to see if I could do it.  I love a good cliffhanger!  I think we all cross the line with whatever we write, but it's fiction and that's what fiction is all about.  It's about  writing the unexpected.

The darkest thing I've written would have to be one of the challenge stories I did called Shattered, I think it was the first suspense I tried.  As for stories I've read, I'd say What Lurks Around The Corner and Ground Zero.

The thing I love about suspense is that it's unpredictable and keeps me thinking, trying to work out what's going to happen.  I'm pretty much open to reading anything, but draw the line at things like graphic child abuse.  That's not for me.  But anything else, the more shocking the better :)

Doesn't apply to me!

Neither

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »

Writing FYO was a HUGE change for me last summer. I love suspense and hopefully I will do another down the road...it was fun to write. I love reading suspense too...I really enjoyed What Lurks Around The Corner, it is a favorite of mine. I also love a good cliffhanger as people can tell lol. I just enjoy a good on the edge of your seat story.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »

Thanks for all the Lurks mentions. What does it say about me that i'm surprised you guys thought it was dark. To me it was one of my more fluffy stories lmao
Pages: [1] 2