Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: now let's talk about collaborations  (Read 9194 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: now let's talk about collaborations
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »

I never looked at it like a round robin because it was planned out who was doing which chapter by invitation only. A lot of time was spent organizing that one long before it was easy to just add on a chapter whenever you felt like it on AC. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »

Yeah, I guess it was like a cross between AC-style round robins, where anyone can post, and traditional collabs where the co-authors plan together and take turns writing.  That was a fun challenge!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

And there was a challenge where you had to continue the plot of the person who wrote before you. I gave each person 2 weeks to write their part I think, which most people did and every once in a while there was a WTF just happened moment. It was  a long time ago so I can understand why people would forget it wasn't a red robin but more like a collaboration. Just an old school one. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »

I remember Eboni and I working on the very last chapter together trying to tie it all up nicely and having a really hard time. LOL Those were the days. Back when I had AIM without my computer freezing on me every ten seconds.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »

And there was a challenge where you had to continue the plot of the person who wrote before you. I gave each person 2 weeks to write their part I think, which most people did and every once in a while there was a WTF just happened moment. It was  a long time ago so I can understand why people would forget it wasn't a red robin but more like a collaboration. Just an old school one. LOL

Yeah, that's why it was such a challenge, because you had no idea what was going to happen before it was your turn.  But that's what a round robin is, one person picking up where the last one left off.  It's just one specific type of collaboration.  Really, Phantasm was more of a traditional round robin than the 1000 Ways stories are now, because they don't really follow one continuous storyline.  Rose just used that feature to make it open for anyone to contribute a death to them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:19:55 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »

But the Nick's Revenge story is trying to stick to a common thread more than the 1000 Ways one is. Some of the stories even work together really well (like Rose getting killed before me was included in the chapter where I was killed lol). Plus, having the last line of each story be in line with the ones before it by giving each death a number keeps it a bit more organized than the 1000 Ways one :)
Sarah

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »

But the Nick's Revenge story is trying to stick to a common thread more than the 1000 Ways one is. Some of the stories even work together really well (like Rose getting killed before me was included in the chapter where I was killed lol). Plus, having the last line of each story be in line with the ones before it by giving each death a number keeps it a bit more organized than the 1000 Ways one :)

That's true.  And either way works; there's no one right or wrong way to do a collab/round robin.  They're just more episodic than a traditional novel.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »

Yeah, Nick's Revenge ties together a lot better, which is probably why that one goes slower. There was one today that even mentioned how it's all my fault lmao.

Though I love 1000 Ways for it's utter randomness lmao.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

What are your thoughts on collaborations? Do you tend to take part in them?

I really am not a collaborating type person. I was very similar to Julie in school lol I never wanted to work with anyone because I usually ended up having to do all the work myself. I'm a little too, let's just say regimented, to work with people on stories. Kudos to those who can do it though. It's just not something I do often or willingly. LOL

I have only really worked on two collabs. Phantasm which had a lot of people involved and the 5 BSBs in Search of a Plot which was three of us.

Do you enjoy reading them? Is is something you even notice when you are reading a story?

Truthfully, I tend to not enjoy stories that are collaborations with the exception of Swollen Issues. I just usually feel like they are too disjointed and not updated enough for the most part, but if I found one that seemed like something i'd be interested in reading i'd give it a try.  I do tend to stay away from stories that have more than three people working on it.

How many people is too many when working in a collaboration?

I think when you try more than two you run into trouble.

Who would be your ideal collaborating partner?

I don't think i'd ever do one again but if I did, Mersey would be the ideal person because we work so well together.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »

Aww, Mersey! Where is she? How is she? What is she up to, Mare? I miss her and her stories!
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »

She has a new job that makes her work insane hours. She doesn't have a computer at home anymore and has to steal her brother's on occasion and she doesn't write anymore :( I miss her too but she is on twitter. You should follow her.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »

I wish she still wrote. :(

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »

Me too! Tell her that!! I'm hoping the more people who tell her the more willing she'll be to try. It worked with Maria, somewhat lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »

I have! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 11:58:59 PM »

She has a new job that makes her work insane hours. She doesn't have a computer at home anymore and has to steal her brother's on occasion and she doesn't write anymore :( I miss her too but she is on twitter. You should follow her.

Aww, bummer!  I see her on Twitter, but it'd be cool if she came back to fanfic land too.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3