Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: now let's talk about collaborations  (Read 9195 times)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
Re: now let's talk about collaborations
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »

I would only answer the first two questions since I haven't collaborated with someone yet.

What are your thoughts on collaborations? Do you tend to take part in them?

I would like to try to see if it will work for me. I usually want to work alone but sometimes having another person full of ideas might be good, and might make the story better.

Do you enjoy reading them? Is is something you even notice when you are reading a story?

Yes. I love the stories where one author would write from one character's POV, and the the another author writes another character's POV. I enjoyed reading what Pengi and evergreenwrite r did. Because sometimes if someone write too many characters, there is no distinction among them. It was like they were thinking alike.

A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »

Oh, you saying that made me remember the one story I love by Kat and Amy Can You Keep a Secret. How could
I forget that, it's only one of my all time favorites? LMAO I suck at these threads but like you said Ritz, I think I enjoyed that one so much because when they wrote they tended to do it in the POVs which they felt comfortable with. Back and forth between Brian and Nick. (even though Amy was a Kevin girl lol)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:33:33 AM »

^I'm glad I made you remembered one of your all time favorites   ;)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:28 AM »

This month is the first time I've ever attempted a collaboration.  Like Julie and Mare have said, when I was in school I never worked with anyone and hated the thought of someone having a say in what I did.  I guess I was a bit of a control freak and wanted my work to be mine.  I suppose deep down it was because I knew I could rely on myself to get it done.  I was a bit of a perfectionist back then and wouldn't have wanted anyone messing up my grade A, lol, that and I've always been a bit of a loner.  It's been a long time since I left school though!

But I do like collabs if they are done right and am looking forward to seeing how it goes with Kristal.  Having never had to consider anyone else before, I just hope I do it right.  I know Kristal has done collabs before, so hopefully she can help me out :)

Do you enjoy reading them? Is is something you even notice when you are reading a story?
Depends on the story.  Take for example my favourite collab, Song For The Undead.  It's such a well written and fantastic story, but not only that, Julie and Rose work so well together that you don't notice who wrote which part.  I think it's important when writing a story that it flows well, and this is a perfect example of that.

How many people is too many when working in a collaboration?
Having not got much experience with collabs, I have no idea how to answer.  I suppose it depends on the writers and if they are pulling their weight.

Who would be your ideal collaborating partner?
Um...I don't know, maybe Lore as I like her stories and she mentioned me (thanks for the mention Lore :) )  I hate answering this kind of question, what if the person I suggested laughed and thought 'no way', lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »

Thanks for the mention, Steph!  That is nice to hear.  One thing that has worked for us with Undead is doing what Ritz suggested and each of us sticking to certain characters.  The difference is we started out with ten of them, instead of two LOL.  But we split them up, so we each just had a few characters to focus on, and that helped them to be written and developed in a consistent way.

It helps that we've also always had the same vision for the story, and we've tried to make our writing styles mesh as well as any two different people's can.  I'm glad you don't notice a difference when you read.  That is definitely another advantage to just writing with one co-author; it's a lot easier to keep the story flowing because there's only two different styles merging together, instead of... many LOL.  Even when we had three at the beginning of Undead, that was harder than it is now with just two of us.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »

Oh, you saying that made me remember the one story I love by Kat and Amy Can You Keep a Secret. How could
I forget that, it's only one of my all time favorites? LMAO I suck at these threads but like you said Ritz, I think I enjoyed that one so much because when they wrote they tended to do it in the POVs which they felt comfortable with. Back and forth between Brian and Nick. (even though Amy was a Kevin girl lol)

Kat and Amy made a great collab team!  LOL I was the same way; in my original post, I started to say that I couldn't remember reading many collabs, except Swollen Issues and their Backstreet General series, and then I started thinking of all these other favorites of mine that are collabs.  I guess it's just something I don't pay much attention to.
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »

Thanks for the mention, Steph!  That is nice to hear.  One thing that has worked for us with Undead is doing what Ritz suggested and each of us sticking to certain characters.  The difference is we started out with ten of them, instead of two LOL.  But we split them up, so we each just had a few characters to focus on, and that helped them to be written and developed in a consistent way.

That was I really love about collaborations, because you guys give different personality to different characters but with almost identical writing styles. :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »

I love to read collabs. My favorites are Undead and 00Carter. I have never done a collaboration unless you count the two round robins I am participating in. I have tried to do collabs in the past but it doesn't seem to work out. I would love to try one though. I don't know who I would want to work with...but I know lore and I have talked about it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

Thanks, Tracy!

It definitely takes commitment from both/all authors.  It's hard when one person is way more into it than the co-author(s).  That is why so many collabs fizzle out.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »

Thanks!

And yes, commitment is key. Because if one is more into it than the other (or others), then it just leads to a lot of frustration and possibly arguments.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »

BSB Fic Collaborations ...you know what I remember about them? Mare wanting to kill me every two weeks  :-\ oh yes, those were the fun days :P
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 09:16:46 PM »

Was it two weeks? It felt more like every two days or so lol You know I love you. Come here more often! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »

Was it two weeks? It felt more like every two days or so lol You know I love you. Come here more often! :)

Tow days?  :( Outch Hehe I don't know why you were so anal  :crazy: if I was always on time, right? Just look at my own stories and how I never stop updating  ;D

I'm kidding, and you know I love you too but your icon is making me nervous, poor doggy lol
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 09:54:06 PM »

I'd love the idea to work somebody else. Actually someone from Canada is currently trying to work with me on a Brian story at the moment. I offered to beta her personal solo story about him and I'm almost done doing that. Plus I have some of my other stories to get done first. But I love bouncing off new ideas with someone open-minded. Maybe try a genre I haven't tackled.

Eh, not always, I think I say that mainly because there's very few out there to begin with. I guess not enough variety too. I don't really read a lot of them so I can't say there's something in particular I notice.

How many people is too many when working in a collaboration?
If its a round robin, then its understandable . I actually don't have a problem with 5 or 8 people collabing on something new. As long as its interesting and draws me in with the first chapter, then yeah I'd say there shouldn't be a limit to the creative process.

Who would be your ideal collaborating partner?
I tend to work with people I personally talk to but I believe the main things I look for in a partner while writing is style, intelligence, humor and emotions. It helps to know the person is willing to go in any direction and bear their soul if need be. I honestly love to work with a horror writer or someone who deals in comedy. Don't write too many of those and it would be interesting to combine their insights with my own personal spin.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace
Pages: 1 2 [3]