Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: now let's talk about collaborations  (Read 9197 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
now let's talk about collaborations
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

I know it's not a genre but since this month is a collab challenge, I thought this would be a good topic to start.

What are your thoughts on collaborations? Do you tend to take part in them?

Do you enjoy reading them? Is is something you even notice when you are reading a story?

How many people is too many when working in a collaboration?

Who would be your ideal collaborating partner?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: now let's talk about collaborations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »

As the resident Collab Whore, I feel the need to reply first LOL.

As a Collab Whore, I love them. With the right person, they can really bring you to places writing wise you may not be able to reach alone. I've got a long list of collaborations, longer list of people I've collaborated with. Especially if you count the Round Robins! LOL.

Do you enjoy reading them? Is is something you even notice when you are reading a story?
I do, cause sometimes the story comes out even better than it would have if the author tried it alone. It's been awhile since I've been sucked into a really good collab. But two that come to mind immediately are 5 Backstreet Boys In Search of a Plot, and Just One Kiss. Both were pretty funny.

Um...I have a new rule now LOL. Never more than two people writing a story. (Unless it's a RR, that's the exception). Every time there's been more than two of us, it never works out. Or there's major delays, or something. I adore 00Carter, but with the amount of people, organizing and getting everyone to be somewhat timely is a major bitch LOL.  With two, everything seems to run smooth.

Already found her! Julie, who I first offered myself up when she needed cowriters for "Code Blue". We bonded more on here, and it grew from there  :). We have the same line of thinking in terms of stories. As a team, I feel like we're fantastic, not to sound braggy. I just mean that some of the stuff we not only come up with, but pull off, is stuff I don't know if we could do alone. And we've definitely rubbed off on each other, she's gotten me to be a LOT more anal about researching for example LOL, and I've gotten her to write more "out there" stuff.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

I am in one right now, but I would be open for more.  I don't have a lot people banging down my door to collaborate with them though.

I don't really pay attention to multiple authors.  If they are written well I like them as much as any other story.

How many people did we start with on 00Carter?  Though I like having multiple people to toss ideas around with, the delays are killer when there are many people.  I've not ever just worked with one other person and had it really go anywhere. 

Uh.... Carter-Orange....  I love her stuff.  It would be awesome to see if we connected as writers.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:01 PM »

I enjoy collaborating!  Which is weird, because I always hated group projects and working together when I was in school.  I was the type of kid who would rather work alone, because it went faster that way and because sometimes I just knew I'd do a better job on my own. :P (Elitist snob, I know.)  But most of my experiences writing fanfics with other people have been good.  It just depends on who your cowriters are.  Like Rose said, you just have to find the right person to collab with.

What I like about collaborating is that it gives me more confidence to tackle bigger ideas that I probably wouldn't try to write on my own, and it's easy to stay inspired when you have someone with whom to bounce ideas around and share in the writing.

What I don't like about collaborating is flaky co-authors who don't write their share.  That's why finding the right person to write with is so important to the success of the collab.

When I think of collaborations that I've read, the ones that come to mind have been really good - "Come Together" by Izzy and Cecilia, "Survivor" by Cecilia and Janie, the "Swollen Issues" series by Jenna and Swenglish, the "Nick and Lizz" series by Jenna and Auctor, the "Backstreet General" series by Kat and Amy.  So I guess, yes, I do enjoy reading them, although to be honest, it's not something I really even pay much attention to.  Of the stories I listed, the only one where I could really tell the difference between the two authors' writing was Swollen Issues, and only because Swenglish isn't a native English speaker, and it showed sometimes in her parts.  But I was completely addicted to that series as it was being written, so it wasn't something that took away from my enjoyment of it at all.

If everyone's on the same page and equally committed to the project... the more, the merrier!  Realistically, though... three's a crowd, and with more than three, it's tough to keep everyone on the same page.  Two is the ideal.  The only collaborated stories I've finished have been with just one co-writer.  The biggest collaboration failures have been with two co-writers (so three people writing together).  The BIG collabs, with lots of co-writers, tend to work out for awhile, at first, when everyone's excited, and then fizzle out.

Rose!  Rose is the best co-writer I've ever had, for these reasons:
1) She can write, and her writing meshes well with mine.
2) She's not self-absorbed - she doesn't want to take control of everything, she doesn't have to be right all the time, and she doesn't only want to write self-inserts.
3) She also doesn't let or make me control everything and make all the decisions.  We share that part.
4) She is usually on the same page as me, idea-wise, but even when we disagree, we always come to a compromise or agreement quickly and civilly.
5) She doesn't flake out on her commitments.  When she says she's going to write something, she follows through.
This is why I still like collaborating, even though most collaborations I start don't get finished. :P
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

How many people did we start with on 00Carter?

11... though, oddly enough, we churned out parts faster with 11 than we do now with 6!  That's why commitment means more to me than numbers.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

Awwww look at the love :)

Yeah when we disagree it doesn't take long to find a middle ground lol. And seriously you're one of the only cowriters who hasn't flaked out on me. So finding one who can really commit is a challenge too. But I've never been this much on the same page with any of my previous partners.

11... though, oddly enough, we churned out parts faster with 11 than we do now with 6!  That's why commitment means more to me than numbers.

I think it was 13, and then two dropped before we even wrote anything lmao. And I agree, commitment is more important. I've just never seen it work (steadily) with more than one person. Sadness.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »

Awwww look at the love :)

Yeah when we disagree it doesn't take long to find a middle ground lol. And seriously you're one of the only cowriters who hasn't flaked out on me. So finding one who can really commit is a challenge too. But I've never been this much on the same page with any of my previous partners.

I think it was 13, and then two dropped before we even wrote anything lmao. And I agree, commitment is more important. I've just never seen it work (steadily) with more than one person. Sadness.

Yeah, I was just counting the ones we actually wrote with, even if it just for an episode. 

Commitment is key!!  I'm usually in it for the long haul, so it's nice to have found someone who can handle sticking with a story for more than a few months without flaking out.

I love the remaining 00Carter crew, but it is like pulling teeth sometimes to get parts written on that story.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »

Yeah, I was just counting the ones we actually wrote with, even if it just for an episode. 

Commitment is key!!  I'm usually in it for the long haul, so it's nice to have found someone who can handle sticking with a story for more than a few months without flaking out.

I love the remaining 00Carter crew, but it is like pulling teeth sometimes to get parts written on that story.

Ditto lol. I love everyone involved, though sometimes they drive me crazy (okay, crazier) when all the delays pop up lol. Talented writers? Definitely. Awesome people? Of course. Flaky? YES lmao. But I say that with love.

Collaborating can be epic and frustrating.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

Ditto lol. I love everyone involved, though sometimes they drive me crazy (okay, crazier) when all the delays pop up lol. Talented writers? Definitely. Awesome people? Of course. Flaky? YES lmao. But I say that with love.

Collaborating can be epic and frustrating.

Did I just get called Flaky? LOL. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »

Listen you two, I have been a member of the 00Carter crew for a year (maybe more) and have yet to write anything and it's not because I'm flaky :P
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

If everyone's on the same page and equally committed to the project... the more, the merrier!  Realistically, though... three's a crowd, and with more than three, it's tough to keep everyone on the same page.  Two is the ideal.  The only collaborated stories I've finished have been with just one co-writer.  The biggest collaboration failures have been with two co-writers (so three people writing together).  The BIG collabs, with lots of co-writers, tend to work out for awhile, at first, when everyone's excited, and then fizzle out.

Actually we did finish Phantasm and we had a lot of people involved in that. I was in charge of that one so we were going to finish if I had to choke people to death to get their chapters from them lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »

Listen you two, I have been a member of the 00Carter crew for a year (maybe more) and have yet to write anything and it's not because I'm flaky :P

LOL You guys know who the flaky ones are/were.  If you write your parts (not that you've had the opportunity yet, Sarah) without needing to nagged, you're not who we're talking about.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

Actually we did finish Phantasm and we had a lot of people involved in that. I was in charge of that one so we were going to finish if I had to choke people to death to get their chapters from them lmao

True, I forgot about Phantasm, I guess because it was a round robin.  Still a collaboration, but round robins are a little different because it's not the same group of people planning and writing the whole thing together.  I'm glad we did finish that one, though, and it turned out good!  Lots of twists and turns.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

I didn't mean you! LOL

Or you! :P

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »

I know I had my issues just recently but I hope I made up for it! :-D 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: [1] 2 3