Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much of your time do you spend on fanfic/bsb stuff?  (Read 3897 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
How much of your time do you spend on fanfic/bsb stuff?
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:27 PM »

Elaborating on my last post in the when reading...thre ad. Made me think about these questions.

Just wondering how much time do you guys feel like you spend on writing/reading fanfic? That includes thinking about it and plotting things out etc..

How much time do you think you really devote to the guys and this fandom in general (as a fan)?

Do you discuss BSB with people outside of the fandom? Do people know how much you love the boys?

What about fanfic?  Does anyone out in the 'real' world know you write and or read it? (I know we have discussed this question plenty of times)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: How much of your time do you spend on fanfic/bsb stuff?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

For me, it depends on the day, the time of year, and what else is going on in my life.

I'm a teacher, so during my summers off, I do devote quite a bit of time to the fandom.  That's usually when they tour here, so I go to concerts... and spend time thinking about concerts, counting down to the concerts, shopping for concert outfits... LOL.  And I spend a lot of time in the summer thinking about, reading, and writing fanfics.  That's definitely when I feel the most involved with the fandom.  On a summer day when I have no other commitments and nothing on my mind, I can easily spend a good chunk of the day, hours at a time, sitting at my computer just writing, outlining, and researching for my fanfics.

During the school year, it's a much different story.  I don't have much time to think about BSB or fanfic during the work week, let alone actually write anything.  I save my reading and writing for the weekends, but weekends go by so quickly, and sometimes I have other things going on, that I don't get much done even then.  I wish I had more time to dedicate to writing because it's my hobby and I enjoy it, but at the same time, I'm glad I have a career and obligations to that and to my real life friends and family, too.

I don't discuss BSB with people outside the fandom very often.  My family knows how obsessed I am with them, and some of my friends know I'm a fan, but they don't know the extent of my fandom.  Only my immediate family knows about the fanfic thing, mostly because it was tough to hide when I was still living with them.  They're forbidden from reading my stories, though, so they have no idea what I really write about.  They're not interested anyway, so it works for me.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »

I like to think of Saturdays as my day of fanfic/fandom love. I tend to do most of my writing and planning on one day during the school year and it seems to work for me. In the summer, when I have more free time I tend to read and write a little more then once school starts up.

As far as being a fan, I don't really devote all that much time to BSB. I rarely listen to them and haven't been able to afford concerts or events but even if I could with their joint tour, I wasn't reallly that interested. I usually don't buy their merchandise with the exception of a tour book here or there. I sound like i'm not even a fan :(  lol I am though. Just not as much as I used to be. Although even at the height of my fandom, I wasn't ever really that extreme. I think the reading and fanfic stuff is what made me fall in love with them as people.

Only a few people know of my love for the boys and even less know about my fanfic writing lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

I am sure it seems like I spend quite a bit of time writing and plotting lately. When things are slow at work my mind tends to gravitate towards thinking about my fanfic or future fanfic ideas.  The plotlines I think of don't necessairly have to be fanfic but I don't think I will ever be a published author so I use this world as an outlet for my ideas.  If I wasn't in the fanfic world I would probably still write and plot a good majority of the day I just wouldn't have a place to post my stories.

I spend a lot less time then I used to in the fandom.  I had no idea what was going on in their lives until recently when I got back into writing and joined twitter.  I go to concerts when they are here and maybe an odd t-shirt or two but that's all I buy outside of their music.

I have a few people lately that know I'm a fan of the music but I only have one friend that is/never was in the world of BSB that knows how much I am a fan.  The most I get from her is she finds Kevin and Brian attractive but she's not into their music.  But she can understand my fan love because she is a huge Bon Jovi fan.  She has read some of my fanfic and she listens and helps hash out ideas when I talk about it over lunch.   She is the only person outside of the fandom that I've felt comfortable sharing my writing with. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

Just wondering how much time do you guys feel like you spend on writing/reading fanfic? That includes thinking about it and plotting things out etc..

I tend to do most of my reading whilst in work when it's quiet, or in the evening when I'm not watching anything on TV.  I don't really spend much time thinking about my stories, I just type whatever pops into my head and maybe do a bit of research when required.  I should spend more time plotting.  Once I start typing a chapter, I usually get it done in one go and within an hour unless something distracts me.

How much time do you think you really devote to the guys and this fandom in general (as a fan)?

I listen to them in the car most days as I make mix CDs with a bit of everything I like.  When they tour here I only go to one show as that's all I can usually afford and I buy a tour book.  I read their tweets and read some of the latest news on TDS, etc.  Sometimes I'll watch the DVDs I have, but they don't come out that often.  I'm not sure how much time I spend reading fanfics, it depends on which stories I'm reading.

Do you discuss BSB with people outside of the fandom? Do people know how much you love the boys?

People know how much I love them and I get teased in work for it, but it doesn't bother me at all.  My friends and family don't give me that much of hard time and my sister used to love them too.  We don't really talk much about them though, no one else in my real life seems to share my boyband passion.

What about fanfic?  Does anyone out in the 'real' world know you write and or read it? (I know we have discussed this question plenty of times)
No one knows.  They just wouldn't understand, or they'd think I was some kind of stalker, lol.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »

Depends on the time of year. During school, it's WAY less than during the summer lol. I mean during the summer, I'll sometimes spend a day off just being lazy, writing, and reading. During school, I get to it when I'm not studying/working/sleeping LOL. I will sometimes daydream about ideas/stories at work, but I do that whether it's fanfic or OF I'm writing. It's just how my mind works and comes up with new ideas/plot twists and such.  I do spend time researching what I write though, hours sometimes, to make sure I have it right.

This again goes back to time of year. During the summer, I tend to focus in more. And sometimes it depends on what's actually going on. Now, I'm a mod over at TDS, so I'll lurk and make sure everything's running smooth, but I don't count that much. I'd do it even if I stopped being a fan since I signed up for it. But when new songs pop up, I love chatting about it. Debating and such, so I'd say maybe an hour a day if we averaged it out. I don't watch the DVDs much unless for research on a story, or I'm feeling really nostalgic.   

As for shows and stuff, I see them when they come here to Vegas. I don't travel for concerts, I debate about it but I never end up doing it lol. I'm a lazy fan. If they're in town, I leave them be. One time Nick was in town, I think it was for his 30th bday. My friends invited me to Tao, the SAME place he ended up being at (at the time I had no idea, just rumors he was here). Did I kick myself for not going? Yes lmao. But if I'd known, I probably wouldn't have gone just to give him some privacy/respect. I go on the BSB Cruises, it's the ONE time I travel for them. And I'll almost never do anything higher than Bronze VIP (this year was the first and likely last time I did Gold).  So I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle on the fandom spectrum, I used to be on the low end lol.

Not really, like I had them playing at work...and customers were singing along, so it came up, but beyond that no. My friends know I'm a hard core fan, and they tease me a little lol.

What about fanfic?  Does anyone out in the 'real' world know you write and or read it?

My parents know, that's it. My mom found out when I was a teenager, it's harder to hide it at that age LOL. It was really funny explaining why I got a "Drums" doll (from 00Carter) in the mail for Christmas a few years back LOL. My dad shakes his head, my mom just says I need to move on into OF so I can get published someday. I'd never tell anyone outside the BSB fandom, it's just too hard to explain without people thinking I'm insane.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »

I used to write a lot more often than I do now. A lot of people actually know I write and some gave me ideas. I got a few ideas for Figured You Out from my co workers actually and the ending of the story was my dad's idea. They are pretty ok with my writing and most suggest I make a career out of it and get published. My best friend is a huge bsb fan as well so it helps. We saw them twice this summer. As for how much I spend, this was the first time I ever did VIP. I had gold for my first show and the second show I didn't do it. I usually don't spend that kind of money on concerts nor do I ever do more than one show. It was fun. I also don't spend much on merch, I usually just get a t shirt. When I was younger I didn't go to any bsb concerts, so I have only seen the guys like 7 times my whole life, but I support by buying albums. Everyone is pretty supportive of my love for the boys, there is some friendly teasing and that's it :)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »

I just found my way back to fanfic world, when I first started writing fanfic in 2009 I didn't have a job as I was reviewing for the CPA board exam. Now, I do all my writing and reading fanfics here in the office. I do not have anything to do here unless it's the end of the month and closing of books. so I have 8 hours a day for five days for all the reading and writing. But thinking of the storyline, plotting things out can happen anywhere.

I listen to their music everyday. But with regards to the concert we are not lucky here. The guys had concert here twice, for NG and TIU.  I visit BSB forums when I am done reading all the stories I like in the most recent page of AC. I attend almost every activities that our fan club here organized.

Do you discuss BSB with people outside of the fandom? Do people know how much you love the boys? Not really. I don't think people outside the fandom would still understand. They all think BSB have broken up at some point. But my family and friends know how much I love the boys. My mom would still ask me sometimes how was the boys and stuff. My officemates here knew I listen to them everyday. So I guess I could tell people how much I love the boys, but I will choose not to discuss it with them :)

What about fanfic?  Does anyone out in the 'real' world know you write and or read it? (I know we have discussed this question plenty of times)

Even my husband has no idea I'm writing fanfics. He knows that I am working on a MS to be a published romance writer but not fanfics. My family and friends doesn't know it either. I have two officemates though that knows about the 1000 ways to kill Nick Carter, but I never let hem read it.

A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »

Its random with me. I never know when I'm going to feel the need to write. I just wrote something finally last night in 2 weeks so its just different every time. Sometimes I'll write just for about 2 hours, take a break then just think of the scene before putting it down. Sometimes as I'm writing from a small idea, it turns into something big and snowballs from that until I sometimes finish the chapter and start the next one. I literally write until I have no juice left.

Honestly, less and less. I used to be a huge fan from 99-05. After Unbreakable came out, my devotion wasn't as big as I was when I could put a lot time into it. I was a teen so not a whole lot of responsibiliti es for me. But I still find myself listening to the music. Good music always sticks around when everything else just sucks on the radio.

Nah, I figure there's a lot of closet fans out there anyway but I don't really feel the need to talk about them as much as I used to. I think people now, respect their past stuff compared to what's considered Top 40 pop these days (auto-tune/rap/beiber-esq). So that's good enough for me. Personally I used to care what other people though of them, now I feel like they're going like "wow, we had it SO dang good in the 90s." I agree.

My sister knows. I would never tell my other family members. My mom's sort of picked up on it but I'm so protective and just really shy about my writing, I'll hardly let anyone read unless they can relate to the subject of it. I think it should stay that way too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:41:15 PM by Mariah »
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »

Well in the morning I check to see if anything has been updated and I’ll check when I get home from work. Throughout the evening I might pop in to see as well. Sometimes at night or on the weekends I come on AC and reread som of my favorite stories.

I think about my stories all the time but more as a daydream kinda thing. My “fantasy world” is better than my reality most of the time. And though I know it makes me sound crazy I do think about the stories a lot. The problem is I’ll come up with and idea and I forget it by the time I sit down to write. Like right now I’m trying to remember what I came up with earlier today.

I don’t spend time on them like I used to. I listen to the music a lot. Mostly on Wednesdays, cause I hate Wednesday s. It’s the worst day of the work week for me and I’m allowed to listen to my Ipod at my desk.

Do you discuss BSB with people outside of the fandom? Do people know how much you love the boys?I only discuss them with a friend I have because she’s a NKOTB fan and she’s the only one who understands what it’s like to be a fan. We actually don’t talk about it a lot but she “gets it.”

What about fanfic?  Does anyone out in the 'real' world know you write and or read it?

Heck no!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 03:49:47 AM »

I was actually thinking about my story this morning as I was getting ready for work, hopefully that means I'll be able to write a new chapter tonight or tomorrow.  Been a busy week and I haven't had chance to even open my word doc yet!  I blame all these good new TV shows and the nice weather :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »

I hope you do too. I want an update to read! lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 05:36:07 AM »

I wonder if I could type some in work, hmm...

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

I'm a lot like Julie.  I started teaching this year, and since the school year's started, I haven't had any time to read/write/think about fan fiction.  I'm planning on using my summer vacation's to spend time writing.  Which will be nice come summer but right now I'm not even 3 months into the year, and the last few weeks I've been having major writing withdrawal.

My students know I like the Backstreet Boys.  We were working on the laptops one day, and a male student starting playing IWITW because he knew I liked it (and wouldn't make him cut it off immedietely) and the class started singing along as they worked (pretty neat day). 

So people know I'm a fan, but I don't mention the fact that I write fan fic to anyone.  People know I'd like to be a writer, but past that, they don't ask me questions about if/what I write, and I don't offer the information.  My writing world is kind of separate from the world I share with other people.  I've just always preferred it that way for some reason. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »

How's your school year going, Erin?

That's so cute about the student playing IWITW and the class singing along!  What age do you teach again?

We have a teacher thread somewhere on the Chatterbox board; we should start that up again!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2