Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts  (Read 41201 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »

Howie! Duh lol

I was going to say that but ...*shrugs* perhaps we can have Lance have a guest spot as Hermione? I want Howie to read Voldemort for some reason....
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:43 PM »

I'm guessing she set it in the states because that's where Twilight was set.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2012, 11:28:17 PM »

most likely Steph.  I know if I were to write a story that takes place outside of the US I would need help to get lingo right that is for sure.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:05 AM »

I was going to say that but ...*shrugs* perhaps we can have Lance have a guest spot as Hermione? I want Howie to read Voldemort for some reason....

LMFAO Howie as Voldey! *dieeees*
IIii will beeee the oooone to killl Harry Potterrr!!

Dude seriously someone needs to get a video of him saying that now.  :D
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:08 AM »

A few of the women I work with have been gushing over Christian Grey, I couldn't resist telling them exactly what I thought of him!  I also talked another one out of buying the book :)  Coming from a family where my dad was violent towards my mum (and also us kids), I really don't see the appeal of a man who punishes a girl for disobeying him :(

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

LMFAO Howie as Voldey! *dieeees*
IIii will beeee the oooone to killl Harry Potterrr!!

Dude seriously someone needs to get a video of him saying that now.  :D

Could you just IMAGINE the facial expressions he would make saying that alone? 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »

Could you just IMAGINE the facial expressions he would make saying that alone? 

I'm imagining the same face that he'd make after eating a lemon. buahhahaa.

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:20 AM »

most likely Steph.  I know if I were to write a story that takes place outside of the US I would need help to get lingo right that is for sure.

I know there are books you can buy so that way if you're writing a story set in the deep south, you can make sure that ya'll get it right now, ya hear? Or if we are in London, it is proper to sound posh... She just needed to consult one of those books and failed miserably.

I actually had lunch with a friend who read it and we spent the entire time ripping it apart (me with my knowledge of 1.5 chapters, her the entire book) and we came to the conclusion that it's choppy (the new settings are anywhere from 3 paragraphs to 2 pages typically, then there's another break indicating a fast forward to something, then another short, crappy setting.) Also, the chick has WAY too many descriptive thoughts that are pointless and really add nothing to the story.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2012, 01:21:54 AM »

Our reviews of this book make me scared to know what people are really thinking about my writing behind the scenes. lol I bet her friends on whatever site she originally posted thought the story was good - obviously, she took the steps to "publish" it. And a lot of people are gushing positively about it. I dunno, it just makes me wonder what people would be saying if I were to work on Something Beautiful and publish it as an OF. You know? Anyone else got this self-induced phobia now?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »

But Hannah, Something Beautiful is a great story whereas 50 Shades is crap!  I'm sure people are only reading it for the sex :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »

Hannah, no matter what there are always going to be people who love your stuff & people who hate your stuff. There are so many people who love 50 Shades & Twilight etc.. Where I can't even imagine how it could be possible but then there are people like me who love Stephen King but others are full of hate for him. Bottom line, if you're a good writer, which you are, people will like your book. But yes, there will be people that won't as well. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:47 AM »

You can't please everyone, so you're better off just doing it to please yourself :)

Is it weird that I loved Twilight but not 50 Shades?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2012, 05:57:13 AM »

I don't think so. lol I know quite a few people who loved one and not the other.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »

As far as critiques go, I have to agree with what the last few posts have said - you can't please everyone.  I'm sure plenty of readers praised 50 Shades when it was a fanfic, and the fact that the published version is a bestseller tells us that plenty more readers in the general public are enjoying it too.

There will always be critics, in both realms, but I do think people are quicker to critique something that has been published and is making money, especially if it's popular.  Whereas with fanfic, we know we're all amateurs and are writing for fun, as a hobby, not to make money or the bestseller's list.  We're supportive of each other.

In the real world of published writing, our writing would be more harshly judged because we'd be opening it up to a wider group of people (and asking for money for it), but that doesn't mean it's bad.  Something Beautiful, Hannah, is definitely not bad.  Most people would love it, even if not everyone did.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »

You can't please everyone, so you're better off just doing it to please yourself :)

Is it weird that I loved Twilight but not 50 Shades?

I don't think so.  Even if the characters are similar, the type of "romance" sounds a lot different.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14