Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59294 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »

I thought of that question after talking about Swollen Issues, because that series was very influential for me.  It came right around the same time as Now or Never, which was the start of my "Nick phase," when I started reading and writing more Nick-centered stories, beginning with Broken.  I had done a couple of Nick stories before that, but I mostly wrote about Brian or the group.  Broken was totally inspired by Swollen, and I spent 5 years writing Broken and BMS, so it definitely influenced my writing "career"!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »

I don't think that was the story. I'm gonna read it anyway though, sounds interesting. Thanks for trying, Julie!

I have never read a full on visual. I'm hesitant to read those kind of stories with graphic sex scenes in them, but there is a first time for everything.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #257 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »

The first fanfic I read wasn't a BSB fanfic it was a video game fanfic, probably a Final Fantasy fic.

The most influential was probably my friend Amanda's fanfic regarding Legend of Dragoon, another video game.  Just her style and way with words made/make me strive to write better.  I love that she is helping me edit my own stories for attempts at publishing. 

That probably says a lot about me that my first and most influential are not BSB stories.  I couldn't tell you the first BSB fanfic I read.  I had an award portion of my site, a fanfic challenge portion of my site and eventually a review site, they all blur together. I didn't have the experience of printing off my first BSB fanfic and putting it in a binder, but it sounds like something I might have done if I was younger.  I DO remember taking my first fanfic around school with me and writing between classes and passing off to Amanda in the halls for her turn.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #258 on: June 14, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »

Man, visuals! That must have been so awkward, Julie, reading those in your mom's classroom! I had read a few fics that had sex scenes in them, but when my friend and I discovered that there were stories that were just the sex part we read through so many of them. And then (this is so awkward) since she liked AJ, and I liked Nick we decided that we would write each other a visual and do a swap. I can't believe we did that! We even wrote them in class on looseleaf and passed them to each other in the hall to read in our next classes.

People still do that now I believe. Adult people lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »

I have a question for you all - what is the most influential fanfic you've read, in terms of influencing or inspiring your own writing?

For me it was definitely Ground Zero. He made me realize I could write the idea I had playing in my head. Stories like 7 Days and On the Run also helped. Awesomely written action/suspense fics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:53:22 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »

Hmmm, good question! That 'I Need You Tonight' story I read when I was 15 (and was absolutely obsessed with) was something that made me really want to try my best and write something awesome. I guess that's the point when I decided I was really going to try and craft a good story instead of just write out my fantasies.

I think as far as more recently though, it was definitely Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare. Which I think I've mentioned here before. It made me want to branch out and write something that was centered around the guys and their relationships with each other, rather than Nick and his girl drama.

Thanks Steph,  glad I helped you decide to branch out because Running Up that Hill is awesome :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »

I typed up a really long answer earlier, went to post it and I'd been logged out :(

Anyway, the first fanfic I ever read was a Take That one, I can't remember the name of it right now, but it was about a woman in her 30s who was in an unhappy marriage.  She meets Gary Barlow in a random place (think it was a hotel) and they begin an affair.  There were lots of dramatic events along the way, but they end up together in the end.  It was an amazing story and so well written.  I found myself checking for updates all the time as I was hooked!

So in reply to the other question about which story has been influential, I'd probably have to say that one.  If I'd never come across that story or site, I'd never have discovered fanfic.

I think the first BSB story I read was possibly Ray of Hope or one which was very Jericho like and was never finished on here.

Mare, yes I think people still do that with the visuals, LOL.  I did one as a challenge on another site about 3 years ago.  I find it quite awkward writing that kind of thing, so it was quite a challenge :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »

The most influential? I wanna say Mare really got me thinking of writing suspense. For about two years I was writing romantic comedy, and when I began writing FYO was the turning point. I started writing all kinds of genres, and now I am down to write everything. I also get inspired by Rose and Julie a lot because I love their work as well. Song For The Undead is one of my favorites. So it really isn't one story that inspired me, but several of them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #263 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »

Thanks, Tracy! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

Tonight's question:

Our newest member Cinzia gave me the idea for this one. Is there a storyline that you want to see covered that no one has really touched on?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »

Thanks, Tracy! :)

I'll echo that! :)
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »

I'd like to see some set during Millennium, I really like that time period. I also wouldn't mind seeing more action/adventure type ones.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »

Tonight's question:

Our newest member Cinzia gave me the idea for this one. Is there a storyline that you want to see covered that no one has really touched on?

This is going back 13 years, but going off what came up in the Brian thread about a lack of modern stories about Brian's heart surgery, I always wanted to read about his illness when he was five.  I always thought - and still think - that is such an incredible story; it's one of the first things I read about Brian (in Teen People, summer '98) when I was first becoming a BSB fan, and it's always interested me.

When I first started reading fanfic, I read a lot of tearjerker stories about Brian, but none that addressed that, until I came across this short story called "The Dream" (or something like that) that did, only it all turned out to be a dream that Brian's childhood friend was remembering as an adult, when she was married to Brian.  That is actually the story that prompted me to try writing my own fanfic, because I wanted to see that short story expanded on.  That first attempt eventually became my story "Years of Grace" (which isn't on AC, but it's on my site).  I wrote a couple different short stories just about that experience when Brian was 5, but those are the only ones I really know of that exist.

Nowadays, I don't know... I do enjoy reading stories about those dramatic parts of BSB history, but most of them have been written about by at least someone.  Steph's doing an awesome job fictionalizing the summer AJ went to rehab with Running Up That Hill, for example.  I guess a more recent time in BSB history that I haven't seen someone write a story directly about is Nick's struggle with drugs and alcohol, the cardiomyopathy diagnosis, and his weight loss and total transformation these last few years.  I know some stories have addressed it, and Rose's story Divine Intervention, for example, uses it as the basis for more of a supernatural/fantasy storyline, but I haven't read just a straightforwar d account of it.  I'd be surprised if no one had written a story just about that, though, so there probably is one that I just haven't read!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #268 on: June 14, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »

I'd like to see some set during Millennium, I really like that time period. I also wouldn't mind seeing more action/adventure type ones.

The one I'm writing right now (and not posting lol) is set during Millennium and is action adventure-y! Haha. It's that one I mentioned in the other thread where Nick has to save the world from angels. So maybe eventually you'll get to read it!

And thank you for the compliment on Running Up That Hill, Julie :) I should probably update that one day. I'm super stuck with it again even though I've outlined.

I'd have to agree with Julie in that I'd really love to read a modern story about Brian's heart surgery. I'd like the read about that in a very true to life kind of way. I think knowing what we do now vs. the little tidbits they told us then, it could be really interesting.

I'd also definitely like to read a story about Nick's struggles with addiction. There was one that was getting posted on here, but she stopped updating. Too bad, because I felt like it was going to be really good!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »

I was looking up websites on yahoo when I came across. "All I Wanted Was Some Cough Medicine" Iby Mare. I,n my head I thought, wow this is a really long title. I clicked on it and I was hooked. I read it in two sittings and I was so mad at the perverted girl that kept creeping out poor young Nick. lol.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26