Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64255 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2012, 02:42:26 AM »

Great question. For BSB, it is a really hard decision but I love how Brian is written in Song For The Undead, his story is so sad....and I am surprised I picked Brian. But seriously the way he's written is the best, how he goes from being such a man of faith to quickly losing it...then gaining it back.

For non BSB...I love Max in What Lurks Around The Corner. He reminded me so much of Snape, and he was mysterious...b ut was my absolute favorite for the way he was like family to Nick and tried to help him through the awkward situation he was placed in.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »

Tonight's Question:

What plot or story was the furthest outside the box thing you have ever written?

I'm not sure, maybe Rewind with Nick being a 40 year old loser who gets a second chance.  Or Games where Nick and AJ are being hunted down by computer game monsters. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »

I have a question...

What's your favorite character (one BSB one original) from someone else's story?

I like AJ in Song For The Undead as he starts off really negative about life, and then when the end of the world happens, he becomes this gun toting zombie killing hero!

Non BSB character, Cary in Curtain Call.  She's not just some random chick hooking up with a BSB, she's such a great character and goes through a lot with Nick in the story.

There are loads more I would've liked to pick, but I'd be here all day listing them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »

Tonight's Question:

What are some of your favorite group centered stories & why?

List a few group centered stories you have written. What do you enjoy most about writing these types of stories? If you don't write them, why?

Group centered means there really is no one Main lead but most of the boys play equally important roles. No females or original characters as leads either.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »

Thanks for mentioning Max, Tracy! I'm glad you find him Snapish lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »

Tracy and Steph, thanks so much for mentioning Brian and AJ from Undead and Cary from Curtain Call!  That means a lot that they are some of your favorites! :)  Rose has written almost all of the AJ parts in Undead, so she's really the one who has made him the awesome character he is.  You know I love my angst, so Brian and Cary have been two of my favorite characters to write as well!

I will be back to catch up on answering the last couple of questions later!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »

Awww thanks for the mentions of Brian and AJ from Undead? Julie's written all the Brian parts so she made him the deep amazingly angsty character that he is. I love him because of his deep personal journey. :)

Ironically I need to think about my own question LOL.

One of my favorite group stories is "Why I'd Do It All Again". It's just a really sweet and cute bonding story of their return after their hiatus. It's a perfect dramedy with everything that was going on back then. The other one is an oldie lol, "Total Kaos 24/7", it's an oldie but it's rally cute and a funny story about the early days.

I think RMTW is a group story, since one of the main focuses is how the group is dealing with Nick. And I just started "Here I Stand", a story about the group now that Kevin has returned and everyone trying to adjust to that fact. I think my favorite thing about writing these type of stories is really playing with the dynamics of the group. You get to do these great bromance scenes and get to what makes them the group they are.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »

For group stories, When I Grow Up and Incomplete are probably the only two I've ever written.

For reading, Total Kaos 24/7 is one of my favorites, I also like A Million Little Things. Basically all of Mare's group stories would make this list because she does such a great job at it. I also love Borrowed Time, if that counts for one and Running Up That Hill. I'd be here all day listing stories.

I would love to write another group story one day, I just haven't been inspired yet. Those kind of stories are fun to read because I love all the bromances and brotherly relationships.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:43 PM »

Aww thanks for the group mentions guys! I love writing group stories & telling the story from all angles. Love reading them too!

I think Running up That Hill is a great example of a group story. All of the guys combining to tell the same story.

I've written a few of them, the ones you guys mentioned are the ones that come to mind. Why I'd Do it All Again. A Million Lillte Things (which I don't really remember lol) Living at the Top & Long Road Home I think are the ones that really fit in this category.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

As far as your question, Rose. My favorite BSB is tough because there are too many stories and it's kind of hard to keep everything straight. I would say Nick from Ground Zero I guess is one of my favorites.

Non BSB I would probably have to go with Hambelina because she is adorable lol

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »

I don't think I've written any group stories by that definition, except maybe some of the shorts or Fear of Flying. Yeah, Fear of Flying was a group story because they all told the stories and there were no main non-BSB characters.... and Miracle, too.

I tend to write from a first person perspective and focus on one group member's feelings. I think the reason I do this is because I like to get into the psychology of the story. I like the idea of putting Nick into a room alone with a goldfish and having the entire story come out of him telling the goldfish the story. Bwahaha I should do that.... and maybe the goldfish could talk back....

ANYWAYS.... before I end up storyboarding. ... I'm gonna say RMTW was a really good example of a group story.

I have a bunch of the other ones being mentioned here on my list of stories to read. I have a hard time writing and reading at the same time though so I haven't started them yet.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »

Awww, thanks Hannah.

I think my fave character BSB wise is probably Curtain Call Nick, I think it's probably one of the most realistic portrayals of Nick these days. He's cocky, he knows exactly what his power over women is, he's a bit of an ass, but he's still our Nick lol. Random and everything else.

Non BSB character - I'd probably say, I think her name was Bella, in Thirteenth Step actually. I just really loved her tragic story. I think second place goes to Chub-Chub lmfao.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »

Aww thanks for the group mentions guys! I love writing group stories & telling the story from all angles. Love reading them too!

You know, this is my first time writing a story from all five perspectives without any original characters POV. I gotta say it's kinda neat LOL.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »

Tonight's Question:

What are some of your favorite group centered stories & why?

List a few group centered stories you have written. What do you enjoy most about writing these types of stories? If you don't write them, why?

Group centered means there really is no one Main lead but most of the boys play equally important roles. No females or original characters as leads either.

I think the only group centred stories I've written are Save A Prayer and Story of My Life, the rest probably have random other characters in them or are mainly Nick focused.

As for my favourites by others, I love Why I'd Do It All Again, Running Up That Hill, Ground Zero, A Million Little Things, Remember Me This Way and probably more but I can't think right now :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2012, 05:33:54 AM »

I have a question...

What's your favorite character (one BSB one original) from someone else's story?

I'm having a hard time narrowing this down to just one of each!

If I'm being honest, the first thought that popped into my head was Nick and Ciara in "Cover Me With Dreams," which would kill two birds in one stone!  I've gushed about that story on here plenty of times; it's probably my favorite fanfic of all time, and the reason for that is the characters.  Nick in that story represents everything we love about Nick and every different version of Nick all rolled into one.  We get young cute Nick, older messed up Nick, goofy Nick, sexy Nick...  The author, Heidi, had Nick pegged, and he's just so endearing!  Meanwhile, Ciara is an interesting female lead; I like her and enjoy reading parts about her even if Nick's not in them.  She was based on a real person in the author's life, and I think it shows in how realistic and multi-layered she seems.

Two of my other favorite original characters are Amanda in "Something Beautiful" and Kara in "The Market."  I like female leads who are likable and relatable, not perfect Mary Sues, but not annoyingly flawed Anti-Sues who try too hard not to be perfect either, and Amanda and Kara, as well as Ciara, fit that perfectly.  Amanda in SB was especially interesting BECAUSE she was so flawed, or at least was doing something awful for a good chunk of the story, but was still a good person who felt guilty about it deep down.

I also love how Brian and Nick are written in that story, as well as in "Borrowed Time," but I think my favorite Backstreet Boy in a story recently is Steph's Nick in "Running Up That Hill."  He's SUCH a mess, and I'm so glad Nick's not that way in real life anymore, but I just love the way that he thinks.  Steph does such a great job getting inside his head, and his scenes are usually my favorite part of every chapter because they're so entertaining.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27