Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121836 times)

myconfession

Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #360 on: July 22, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »

What blocks me from writing?

Honestly, for the longest time.... (since I write mainly Nick romance), Lauren would block me. LMAO! That sounds bad. It's just I guess I'm writing this fictional world and real life pops up and I just lose the urge to write. But after meeting her on the cruise, talking to her and thanks to Twitter and some discussions we've had, it doesn't do that anymore.

What blocks me now it seems is real life... being sick and the fact that when I'm not at work, all I really want to do is sleep. And the migraines I've been having the past few months have gotten worse so when I do have time to write or want to write, they always seem to get in the way.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »

What blocks me from writing.  That would have to be knowing how to start the next chapter or knowing where it's going.  I'll think about it for a while, sitting here with a word doc open and getting nothing done.  But once I know where it's going, I'm focused.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #362 on: July 22, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

What blocks me from writing? Usually work. If I'm working doubles mostly one week, I'm definitely not gonna get writing done. I work 14 hour days and try to make time but sometimes that is difficult. That's why I've only had time to write one shots and challenges lately.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »

Usually what blocks me from writing is my mood. I can't write if I'm not having a good day or if i'm overly stressed out about something. I need a clear mind. Also if im not feeling well. If my blood sugar drops, I cant do diddly. I can sit for hours with Word opened and not write one word, but once I get going, I'll keep the flow throughout.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »

Usually I get blocked if I have a lot of personal issues going on in my life. My mind is SO focused on those, that I usually can't shut it down enough to let myself go into my writing. If it's normal, I can write my stress out in writing. But in those times where it's just piled on, I tend to not write much at all.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #365 on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »

Same here; I write best when I am fed, energized, feeling good, and have nothing bothering me.  Any other time, I have to put a lot more effort into focusing on writing and blocking everything else, and usually it just doesn't happen.  This is why I would never make it as a career writer; I don't have the discipline to make myself do it when I don't feel like it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »

To write I need to be rested, a satisfied stomach and to be in a good mood. I also need to be free of distractions, so I can get my ideas out better. I hardly listen to music while I'm writing.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »

babycakes, it snows in Nashville. Not as much, but it does LOL

LOL Yeah but I looked up the last few years of N'villes winters and their total snow accumulation for a whole year we got in like a day here last year and that was a really mild winter... lmao  ;D I'm kinda pumped about that. lol
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »

I get writers block when I have a scene in mind that is SO FAR REMOVED from the current plot that I need to figure out how to connect A to B in a way that's not like "okay so this happened get over it" feeling. Sometimes I accidentally write myself into these "uhh now what?" type moments, and then I have to rethink situations. Or I'll come up with the perfect solution to something and I work towards it for a long time, then BOOM something comes up that I have to go with but I need to connect the two pieces together and it's like UHHHHH... now what? lol

Personally, I write best when I'm stressed. Some of my best writing in the world was written while my mom was sick and I was in the middle of my most stressful situation I've ever been in. I think because I use my writing to escape stuff, it comes easiest when I'm upset because that's when I want to escape the most. When I'm doing really good and I'm all bubbly, cheerful, and happy, I tend to almost stop writing for a time. The only exception being stress from work/school, cos then I focus on those things instead of writing. Like this past semester was sOOOOO busy but I buried myself in the school work and didn't make time for writing at all. If that makes sense? Anyways.. lol

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

LMFAO!!! Oh the door ideas alone....
...Dude the door would kick SERIOUS butt.  :o

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »

Hannah, I think that makes sense.  I usually associate stress with being busy, and I'm not good at writing when I'm busy because even if I do have time, I have this guilt complex about feeling like I should be using that time for something else.  But when there are other things going on in your life that you can't do anything about, writing can be a great escape.  It's definitely cathartic for me, and I always feel better after I've written something I'm happy with.

I have the same problem with always thinking ahead to scenes that are so far off from what I'm writing, and then when I finally work up to that point, I sometimes have the same problem Steph brought up, where I've thought through it so many times in my head that I psych myself out and feel like I can't live up the scene I've created in my head with my writing.  When it does turn out as well or better than what was in my head, though, it's pure magic.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »

I have another question...

How many projects do you work on at a time?
Are you a one story at a time kind of person or do you have a few?

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »

I have another question...

How many projects do you work on at a time?
Are you a one story at a time kind of person or do you have a few?

As many of you know, I have Writing ADD, lol. I have to write in specific genres for my inspiration to work well and the writing to come up to par with what I expect it to be. My best stories have a blend of a bunch of genres, which is why I can focus on them exclusively. But my more focused genre stories kind of get piled into a collection of stuff to work on on a rainy day. Consequently, I have a lot of open stuff, but only one project that I really focus on.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #373 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »

I have a few I'm working on right now. I have a Nick one-shot I'm almost finished with, I have From This Moment on which I have no inspiration to write it right now, Forces of Nature is on hiatus for the same reason, and then Weird World. So 4 stories. Plus I am still working on the college idea. I got the prologue started, just haven't finished it yet. There are several other ideas I have in my head, so I have a bad case of ADD with that lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »

Hannah, I think that makes sense.  I usually associate stress with being busy, and I'm not good at writing when I'm busy because even if I do have time, I have this guilt complex about feeling like I should be using that time for something else.  But when there are other things going on in your life that you can't do anything about, writing can be a great escape.  It's definitely cathartic for me, and I always feel better after I've written something I'm happy with.

I have the same problem with always thinking ahead to scenes that are so far off from what I'm writing, and then when I finally work up to that point, I sometimes have the same problem Steph brought up, where I've thought through it so many times in my head that I psych myself out and feel like I can't live up the scene I've created in my head with my writing.  When it does turn out as well or better than what was in my head, though, it's pure magic.

I agree with all of this, but I agree so much with the part that I've bolded. Some of the scenes that I've written out (after having thought about them forever) have turned out so well that I won't ever forget exactly what part of the story they're in and if I ever feel like going back to read something old of mine, those are the scenes I go back to. Because I'm the most proud of them, and they boost my confidence in my writing. I think it's the reason that I like to sit on things for so long as well. So that I have that opportunity to play with those pivotal scenes and make them exactly how I want them. I notice that a lot my favourite things I've written, are things that I sat on and edited a lot before posting.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49