Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121874 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #375 on: July 22, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »

I have another question...

How many projects do you work on at a time?
Are you a one story at a time kind of person or do you have a few?

I tried to force myself to be a one project person, and I failed hardcore. I have tons of projects on the go. My main story is supposed to be Running Up That Hill, but it so isn't, it's this other story I'm working on that's nearly complete! Ugh. Though technically I still have only one in progress story posted! lol I just skirt my own rule of not posting anything else that's in progress by writing endless amounts of one-shots. Fail.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #376 on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

I usually have multiple projects going at once.  Currently they aren't all fanfiction though.  I am rewriting Chronos Project, working on another original OF, outlining another OF and working on Severed Identities....
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #377 on: July 22, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

I agree with all of this, but I agree so much with the part that I've bolded. Some of the scenes that I've written out (after having thought about them forever) have turned out so well that I won't ever forget exactly what part of the story they're in and if I ever feel like going back to read something old of mine, those are the scenes I go back to. Because I'm the most proud of them, and they boost my confidence in my writing. I think it's the reason that I like to sit on things for so long as well. So that I have that opportunity to play with those pivotal scenes and make them exactly how I want them. I notice that a lot my favourite things I've written, are things that I sat on and edited a lot before posting.

I'm the same way.  If I can remember what chapter a certain part is in, it's usually one of those critical parts that I thought and thought and thought about, finally got to write, and was happy with.

So, next logical question for everyone:  What are some of those pivotal parts you've written that you're most proud of?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #378 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »

I have another question...

How many projects do you work on at a time?
Are you a one story at a time kind of person or do you have a few?

My ideal writing situation is one main story that I'm really into and one back-up story or side project that I can fall back on when I need a break from the main one.

That said, I've accumulated way too many unfinished projects!  Right now my main story is Secrets of the Heart, which I had only written sporadically for 3 1/2 years before finally deciding to try to finish this summer.  That's the one I've been writing on or trying to write on every day.  Second on the writing priority list would be Song for the Undead - collaborations make good side projects because you can write on them when it's your turn to write and neglect them when it's not.  After that, I don't have any certain order, but I have two in-progress novels, one serious (Guilty Roads) and one not (the Harry Potter crossover).  Then there's the two round robins, which I'll write something for when I have an idea, and then there's all the unfinished stuff that's way, way back on the back burner - 00Carter, Code Blue, Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic, Footprints, and the Broken OF novel.  By my count, that's 11 projects, and those are only the ones that are posted.  I also have a folder called "Story Starts" of ideas that I've dabbled with writing, and there are another 8 files saved in that.  I don't really count those because I haven't posted them so there's no accountability for them, but still... way too many projects!!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #379 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »

I really don't wanna answer the question of how many current projects I have LMAO.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #380 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:33 PM »

^That's why I just said I had a lot, because if I took the time to list everything... it would be a very long post lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #381 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »

I typically do one story at a time.

Since February, Lisa and I have been writing the joint story together and it's so hard to do another one at the same time. I just don't have the concentration for it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #382 on: July 22, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »

^That's why I just said I had a lot, because if I took the time to list everything... it would be a very long post lol

LOL. I know right?

Currently...

"Walked Out Of My Dreams"
"Divine Intervention"
"Here We Stand"
"Song For The Undead"

And an original fiction I started in January but didn't post here.

Random shit...basical ly to write when I can't write anything else...
"1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter"
"Revenge of the Slaughtered"

On the WAY back burner...

"Born To Be"
"00Carter"
"Code Blue"

Ten. Yikes LOL. I've never been able to do one story at a time though. I always need something to flit to when my half of the Siamuse is blocked on something. Really though, not counting the round robins, I only have five projects I'm actually actively working on at the moment.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #383 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

oh we are listing what we are working on? LOL

Severed Identities
Unwinding Truth
Empty
Chronos Project rewrite to OF
Untitled YA OF
Wulf's Bane rewrite to OF

and back burner:
DOV: Antigone
00Carter
Apollo's Curse

I was going to say not as many as Rose but it's only one less so ....
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #384 on: July 22, 2012, 11:01:19 PM »

On average, how long does it take you guys to finish a story?  (A novel, not a one-shot.)

Part of my problem is that I write these epically long stories that take YEARS to finish, and I think that's why I've accumulated so many projects.  It's hard to work on one thing exclusively for that long.  And then I finish one of those big stories and have all these ideas I've collected in the meantime and can't decide which one to start next, and that's when the WADD flares up.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #385 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »

I don't really know what I'm most proud of honestly. I'm proud of all my work but I guess maybe FYO cause it was my first step out of the romance box. Since then I've really branched out with my writing.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #386 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »

I think they normally take me anywhere from 3 months to just under a year or maybe a year if I work on them straight and don't take year long breaks.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #387 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »

What are some of those pivotal parts you've written that you're most proud of?

The chapter "The Very Hungry Catepillar" of Boy in the Cardboard Box (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10427&textsize=0&chapter=16)

Grad Night in Borrowed Time (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10947&chapter=38)

Nick finding out about Amanda in Something Beautiful (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10154&chapter=53)
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #388 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »

I typically do one story at a time.

Since February, Lisa and I have been writing the joint story together and it's so hard to do another one at the same time. I just don't have the concentration for it.

I don't have the concentration for it either, and yet this massive list happens. How do you make yourself work on one at a time? What do you do with ideas that come in for new stories while you're working on your current ones?

Because seriously I have...

Running Up That Hill
Where You Are
Suddenly I'm All Alone

and the un-posted ones..

Thesis of a Cruel Angel
Two Worlds Apart
Faithfully
Forever Like This
Between the Lines of Reason
Conspiracy Theories
So Typically Me

Ew that's a lot, all with varying degrees of completeness. Some of those un-posted side projects will probably get finished before the posted ones do lol.

For me, to finish a story it really varies. I can take forever or I can finish them pretty quickly. I go on spurts with updates as I'm sure some of you have noticed with Running Up That Hill. I will go for months without updating and then do a few chapters really quickly. But sometimes I get those stories that write themselves and I can do an entire novel in a month or two. My novel length stories usually run about 25 chapters long, though.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #389 on: July 22, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »

On average, how long does it take you guys to finish a story?  (A novel, not a one-shot.)

2-3 months. Less if it's something I'm focusing on.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 49