Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121836 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #405 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »

Nick finding out about Amanda in Something Beautiful (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10154&chapter=53)

This was a great scene.  I remember being on the edge of my seat waiting for that moment, and you definitely delivered!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #406 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »

Yep! :)

I still say we need a zombie smiley lol.

OMG Love it!  You have that on TDS?  Amazing!  Perks of being a mod! LOL
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »

OMG Love it!  You have that on TDS?  Amazing!  Perks of being a mod! LOL

Yep, I had my co-mod put it in since she's better at the tech stuff LOL. Zombie smileys are love. *goes to google more*
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #408 on: July 23, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »

Nick finding out about Amanda in Something Beautiful (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10154&chapter=53)

That was an amazing scene. My heart broke for him.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #409 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »

The one scene I have read that I won't forget is Brian carving MINE into Nick. That story was just amazing and if anyone asks me to recommend one I will tell them to read it. I've made friends on twitter by talking about fanfiction from a reader's perspective. There's a lot of girls that read and I love having discussions.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:07 AM »

And this is why I have focusing issues. Damn google.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2012, 12:16:03 AM »

The MINE thing is definitely one of the more epic moments in BSB fanfic history! LOL
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »

I love MINE lmao. Mare may not kill usually but she tortures perfectly.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »

Torture is worse anyway.  Death is a relief after torture LOL.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »

This was a great scene.  I remember being on the edge of my seat waiting for that moment, and you definitely delivered!
That was an amazing scene. My heart broke for him.

Thanks guys... It was probably one of the hardest to write because I didn't wanna break up my little trio! Plus it was really hard to write Nick being so harsh as he was to her. Because I'd grown more attached to Amanda as I wrote the story than I thought I would be by that time, it just hurt to hurt her like that. LOL

Here's a question:

Do you guys think of your original characters as real people?
Do you ever hesitate to do things to the characters because of how attached you are to them?
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »

Here's a question:

Do you ever hesitate to do things to the characters because of how attached you are to them?

I do in terms of the story as I write it. It's part of why I'm so anal about characters, their motivations, their actions. Everything needs to match up in that sense or I will tell you about it if you want concrit lol. I don't ever write characters actions to make the story go a certain way. In fact I'll write out something and there's been times where the story takes a turn I didn't see coming because they did something IN character and not just what I had in mind. The characters write the story, in my mind. It's their story, not mine, I'm just the one putting it out there for them.

I really don't hesitate to do things to characters LMAO. I put mine through the ringer half the time. But that's because I like seeing how the characters grow and change because of what happens to them.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »

In fact I'll write out something and there's been times where the story takes a turn I didn't see coming because they did something IN character and not just what I had in mind. The characters write the story, in my mind.

I really don't hesitate to do things to characters LMAO. I put mine through the ringer half the time. But that's because I like seeing how the characters grow and change because of what happens to them.

I've had that happen, too, where characters kind of take over. I like seeing how characters change and grow through hardship.

Sometimes I can't help but feel a bit like how God must feel seeing us go through stuff... Not to go all "uber Christian Brian" on y'all but I mean like we put the characters through crap because it helps them in the end, because the bigger picture that we see is how the whole story goes and honestly, I feel closer to God writing with that in mind than I do in any church service.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2012, 12:29:43 AM »

MINE is just one of those moments where I actually reread it a few times going WTF just happened? Did I really read this?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »

I don't think of them as real people in the literal sense, but when I can picture them clearly in my head, imagine their body language and how they would say things, come up with their back story without a lot of thinking, and know how they would think and react in any situation, that's when they really come to life on the page for me.  The most vivid character I've created that was totally original is Claire in Broken/BMS.  I could always see Claire so clearly in my head, and I knew how she would act in any situation I put her in, and I knew when I was forcing her to act differently than she naturally would in order to suit the story I wanted to tell, and unfortunately, that hurt her character.

As a writer, I am a sadist and take great pleasure in hurting my characters.  The more I care about them, the more I enjoy hurting them.  So for me, there's no such thing as getting too attached to do things to them.  It's when I'm not attached that I'm just like, "Eh, why bother?" LOL
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »

I knew when I was forcing her to act differently than she naturally would in order to suit the story I wanted to tell, and unfortunately, that hurt her character.

That's always been a petpeeve of mine in stories - be they books, TV shows, or movies - when the character is untrue to themselves. It's the reason why most TV show pilots piss me off.

For example, The Big Bang Theory pilot episode.... the character Sheldon is well developed to be uninterested in women later in the series, something that starts pretty early on. Like in Episode 2. The opening scene for The BBT takes place with Sheldon and Leonard donating sperm at a sperm bank and Sheldon says something about being uncomfortable making the donation and Leonard says to him "you're practically a pro at this" and then later in the episode a comment is  made about Sheldon having problems picking up women, but in a way that makes it sound like he's actually tried to. THAT IS SOOOO OUT OF CHARACTER. I literally can't stand the pilot for BBT because of it!!! LOL

Wow. I didn't know I was quite that irritated by it. :::crawls off soap box::::
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49